Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 14th November 2007, 06:57   #61
BHPian

Apart from the dealer behavior, I was apprehensive about Laura's resale value also. Its bit dated and its PD engine might soon see an end-of-sales.

As VW is moving on to CRDI based engines, my take is that they will dump more PD/TDi engines to India (two more yrs) and will vanish. So if one is planning to keep the car for more than two years, and expecting good resale value, think once more.
Old 14th November 2007, 10:17   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post

Skoda: Call up the Autostrada sales guy for a test drive. Got "Sir, this is a *luxury* car. You would have to come to our showroom for a test-drive". Ok. Smitten by Laura land up at the showroom. Got "Sir, our driver is not here today ... Also we are busy with test drives until Diwali. We will call after Diwali". Ok. (Another thing that I hardly noticed any other customer in the showroom). I wait and wait and not getting any response, call up today. And to my shock !! the phone is hung-up. Retry again after one hour. After several rings again hung-up. Hmmm .. I guess Laura is not meant for mere mortals like me.
That is shocking!! And to say that on team bhp we are always complaining about the attitude problems of the Honda guys!
Old 14th November 2007, 10:42   #63
HSV
BHPian

Just my two cents...

We did a TD of the A/T Civic 1.8V around the 25th Oct via Ring Road Honda Connaught Place. The sales lady quoted a 15000/- discount on the 'S' variant (7500 cash discount and 7500 worth of extended warranty - think it was for additional 2 years). However there was no discount on 'V' variant.

I tried my best to further bargain with her to throw in a free pair of fog lamps. But she didnt relent. Told me that all Honda accessories are ALWAYS chargeable!

Hope this little piece of information helps anyone.

regards.
Old 14th November 2007, 11:50   #64
BHPian

From navpreet on another thread:

Quote:

a note to the mods though.

this is a good informative thread for potential laura ice customers.

but as the fate happens i have cancelled my laura booking just today on account of the sales manager not keeping up with his word during the booking.
i was assured a discount of close to 1 lakh (insurance+reg) but yesterday he called up telling me they will only give me 25k discount.

feeling very very harrassed,i have canceled my booking.this is one experience that'll never make me a skoda customer ever in my life.

thank you all for the replies in this thread.

i'd request the mods to close this thread.
Skoda dealerships across the country in a sad state?
Old 14th November 2007, 12:13   #65
Senior - BHPian

entropy, by no means a good start!!

i somehow had a very pleasant experience. i was planning to buy elegance and they sent me an L&K for TD to my residence. this is TAFE Bangalore - the most hated dealer as far as i can tell.

in fact i had the opposite experience. honda people were very cold. their showroom (whitefield honda) is just 1/2 km away from my residence and they never even called me back for a TD. the best experience i had was from toyota, though.

skoda thinks they are some bmw and honda thinks we are obliged to buy their cars.

buy the car u like best instead of giving a lot of importance to buying experience. at least you are not waiting for 6 months to get a swift diesel!
Old 14th November 2007, 12:17   #66
Team-BHP Support

Sad state of affairs with dealers here. When we made our booking, I made sure the dealer typed out a letter detailing all the freebies and discounts we were promised. The letter was typed, stamped and signed by the manager of the dealership and there were no problems after that.

The same dealer had initially told us that there were no discounts being offered on the Octi at that time. The very next day, we saw an ad in the paper from a rival dealer giving away a host of freebies and discounts. We took that to the dealer and made sure they went one better! Competition rocks!
Old 14th November 2007, 15:54   #67
hsr

hi swaego i will let know the pricing which u asked can i have ur contact number and email id
Old 14th November 2007, 16:48   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
My pre-sales experience thus far

Skoda: Call up the Autostrada sales guy for a test drive. Got "Sir, this is a *luxury* car. You would have to come to our showroom for a test-drive". Ok. Smitten by Laura land up at the showroom. Got "Sir, our driver is not here today ... Also we are busy with test drives until Diwali. We will call after Diwali". Ok. (Another thing that I hardly noticed any other customer in the showroom). I wait and wait and not getting any response, call up today. And to my shock !! the phone is hung-up. Retry again after one hour. After several rings again hung-up. Hmmm .. I guess Laura is not meant for mere mortals like me.
Despite such instances and high maintainence costs, Skoda still sells! In fact, they outsell the Corolla! There should be a study to find out this secret. Why do people keep buying so many Skoda's despite being treated like this by dealers? Compare that to Fiat whose sales crashed because of pathetic dealers. And that was B+ segment. This is luxury segment where customers should be more demanding. By the way didn't skoda top in the J.D.Power SSI survey this year?
Old 14th November 2007, 16:54   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Despite such instances and high maintainence costs, Skoda still sells! In fact, they outsell the Corolla! There should be a study to find out this secret. Why do people keep buying so many Skoda's despite being treated like this by dealers? Compare that to Fiat whose sales crashed because of pathetic dealers. And that was B+ segment. This is luxury segment where customers should be more demanding. By the way didn't skoda top in the J.D.Power SSI survey this year?

Skoda looks stunning compared to Corolla. Plus It's Diesel.
So becomes tempting.

You are ignoring that all Skoda models put together sell lesser than a single Honda model "Civic".
Old 14th November 2007, 16:54   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
May be because of its "looks" and "drive".
Old 14th November 2007, 17:32   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Skoda looks stunning compared to Corolla. Plus It's Diesel.
So becomes tempting.
True. IMO the reasons could be:

1. Looks still stand out and very well made.
2. Perceived as a status car, possibly even more than a Civic, Sonata. Maybe at par with an Accord.
3. Low running costs (although accident repairs might cost a bomb, quite a lot of cars run without any major trouble - hence word spreads and people are willing to take the risk)
4. Very good resale value. Makes sense for people in business who would want to avail of depreciation benefits, drive it for 50-60K kms and sell it off after 3-4 yrs.
Old 14th November 2007, 18:12   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
As VW is moving on to CRDI based engines, my take is that they will dump more PD/TDi engines to India (two more yrs) and will vanish. So if one is planning to keep the car for more than two years, and expecting good resale value, think once more.
Any thoughts on above concern
Old 14th November 2007, 18:17   #73
Senior - BHPian

here in india, after deciding what want, we just go about getting it. it does not have to come on a platter. in fact we are suspicious of anything that comes on a platter
Old 14th November 2007, 18:27   #74
Team-BHP Support

I think this thread has served its purpose. The thread initiator has made his choice and we can now look forward to maybe a new thread from him on his ownership experience. Shall we now end this?
Old 14th November 2007, 18:47   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
I think this thread has served its purpose. The thread initiator has made his choice and we can now look forward to maybe a new thread from him on his ownership experience. Shall we now end this?
Please hold on.

There are some update

Any thoughts on PD engines fate ?
Closed Thread