Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 15th November 2007, 14:33   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
no feeling of twitchiness or instability at high speeds (100 kmph), great `practical' acceleration without the need to press hard on the pedal
IMO 100 kmph cannot be called high speed considering the cars in question. both the cars are quite capable of travelling comfortably at much higher speeds. Cedia is a better driver's car compared to Corolla and both cars have their pros and cons as pointed out by others. But I would disagree to the opinion about corolla being a bad handler. a corolla is quite capable in track in stock trims. one more thing is that toyotas are considered to be bullet proof, but there is no reason to consider a mitsubishi anything less. IMO mitsus are at par in reliability. My vote would go for the Cedia.
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 18:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Its the Cedia which i would pick between the two. The corolla is old needs a replacement, not that the Cedia is any different when it comes to age.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 19:03   #33
BHPian

Default Cedia for you!

Sunder,

6 months back I was also in dilemma like yours. I picked up Cedia and extremely happy with the overall experience. Just test drive Cedia and make up your mind. You get everything in Cedia for 3 lacs less; pure VFM. Corolla would be phased out in 2008 hence high discounts on it. New Corolla would be priced aound 13 - 14 and we can only speculate now if it would be a good car. As for Hondas, they are simply overpriced. You have quite a few threads

Few things that make Cedia a better car than Corolla or Civic:
- FE
- Ground Clearence
- Suspension
- Super brakes; ABS + EBD
- Minimum Turning Radius
- Handling
- Chassis
- Better car for city driving; gear spacing; not many cars would be on III gear at the speed of 20 km / h; Cedia does that for you.

- Sure, Cedia would not give you that jazz dashboard like Civic, but you are not paying extra 3 lacs for it.

Also, the way car markets have evolved over the years, resale is no longer a consideration for your buying decisions. There are more than millions of enthusiastics and thousands of dealers to buy your car at a good price. Until late nineties, there was no seconds car market since there were hardly any cars. More the number of new cars being sold, better the pre-owned car market. If you drive any car for 3 yrs. then resale price is more a function of care with which you have used it and not the badge it has on the front grill.

I drive Cedia Select, on road price Bangalore after dealer discount 9.3 lacs; experience priceless
Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 20:41   #34

Post Cedia or Corolla

hi all bhpians,
this is my first posting. i have driven corolla of my friend many times. although i have not driven cedia so no comments on its engine and drivetrain.

Corolla pluses

(1) very quick in first/secong gear. So will be a boon in congested traffic.

(2) Reliability specially engine is world class. (Although Indian made)

(3) Overall from outside seems very neat and well laidout car.

(4) Service would be better than cedia (only my opinion).

(5) Equipped with climatric control.

(6) Ground clearnace is good.

(7) Interiors are also not bad.

(8) Rear seat comfort is also not bad.

What corolla misses

(1) Engine cries out above 120-130

(2) Brakes not very assuring(again can be the case with my firends car only)

(3) Stability is a question at high speed.

(4) Suspension also not very good. Sound filter into cabin even at delhi's silky roads.

Cedia pluses(what all i know and what drivers says)

(1) good looks from outside. Looks like a rally car.

(2) good ground clearance.

(3) Short turning radius.

(4) Good acceleration at speeds above 30-35 kmph(talked to 2 drivers)

(5) Very good torque engine.
When fully loaded will beat corolla fully loaded. (after discussion with drivers)

(6) Most important it will be soon available in LPG. so will save a lot of fuel costs.

(7) good strong chassis.

(8) Good suspensions.

(9) Although few on roads but will always find winning rallies. Because stability is good at high speed cornering. plus lots of torque at bit high speed.

(10) Priced very low in comparison to corolla.

(11) Quality very good(parts imported from Japan)

Cedia Minuses

(1) torque not available at very low speeds. so will not be able to call the shots at traffic signals. (Drivers opnion)

(2) Half clutch driving can be difficult(what driver says). Any Bhpian has comment on this?

(3) No climatric control available.

(4) Rear not very pleasing.

(5) They are so less, i guess cedia may be discontinued.(No offences to cedia owners).

(6) Spares costly.

(7) Mitsubishi does not pay attention to Indian market( i think). Not very good marketing of Cedia/Pajero/Montero. So service can go bad in future.

In the end my opinion go for Cedia, if thinking of using it for at least 4-5 years. At present is very good value for money (saves around 30% of the car cost in comparison to corolla). Plus dual fuel capability may be boon and Mitsu claims running on LPG does not have adverse effect on engine accelaration.
mitsu-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 22:21   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Corolla
+ More space, larger boot, better rear seat
Cedia
- Horrible rear seat
ROC, the Cedia and Corolla both have the same amount of boot space(430 l) according to the spec. Can the boot space be increased in the Corolla(they do have a 60:40 foldable rear seat in some variants)?

I spoke to the second person this week who had taken a TD of the Cedia and was all sold on it, till his family complained about the rear seat. I'm sure there must be an after market solution to increasing the thigh support. After all, legroom isn't the issue. Wonder why Mitsu missed out on this.
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 22:38   #36
Senior - BHPian

Yup the Corolla has 60:40 foldable seat but the bigger issue is that the boot in the Cedia is very shallow compared to the corolla. Minor issue really. One can always replace the rear seat with a better one if he/she is hell bent on it.

@mitsu-lover: Half clutch is not difficult. It just takes a few days getting used to. I used to stall the car very often initially but after a week or so, it was never a problem. Spare part prices have plummeted of late... they are nearly on par with the Civic now.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 15th November 2007 at 22:44.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 23:40   #37
BHPian

Default Go for CEDIA!

Go for CEDIA! You won't regret it.
Surely VFM and a decent car for a mixture of City and Highway use.
I have clocked 13,000+ kms, no complains and Happy to date.
Service network does not get full marks, but can be seen improving.
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 02:54   #38
BHPian

This thread needs to have a poll and if there is one I would splash Cedia all over it! theres no two ways about it. If you've driven both you'll know.
nitroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 09:01   #39
Senior - BHPian

[quote=reignofchaos;628084]@mitsu-lover: Half clutch is not difficult. It just takes a few days getting used to. I used to stall the car very often initially but after a week or so, it was never a problem. quote]

Yes. Initial 500 kms, I had the same problem and I used to stall the car too. Later got used to the pressure required on the clutch and the accelerator pedals and now no problems at all...
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 09:50   #40
Senior - BHPian

(1) torque not available at very low speeds. so will not be able to call the shots at traffic signals. (Drivers opnion)
Do you mean won't be able to pick up acceleration at traffic signal's stop and go???
Not true buddy... I have shot like a bullet from signals few times, leaving trails and fiestas / corollas behind... It's on what gear you press the gas... I use first gear just to move from stand still and shift to second gear in a second and push upto about 40 kmph then shift to third... If you do, then you would beat any other car on the road.. (Provided you have a clear road ahead...)
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 14:34   #41
Senior - BHPian

Kelley's Blue Book has recently compiled `Best Resale Value Awards' for 2007 in the US based on their resale values percentages and other factors. The top 10 models are (not in any particular order of ranking):

Mini Cooper
Toyota Corolla
VW Eos
VW Rabbit
VW Jetta
Honda Civic
Toyota Scion XB
Chevrolet Corvette
Toyota Scion tC
Nissan Infiniti G37
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 14:42   #42
BHPian

Go for the CEDIA !! . When compared to the corolla, its far better in looks and has a new gen car design . I have nothing against the corolla, i know its an awesome car but somehow it looks very out dated and with a difference of 3L why think more !!
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 17:36   #43
BHPian

I going to take the test drive this weekend of the cedia. If possible I will do that for the corolla also this weekend. I will update the post as to how I felt regarding the test drives on both the cars. Also I am considering very high the gas option cedia provides. Its going to really bring down the running costs inside city.

Is there anybody on this forum who has this cedia ALPG and how they find the drive on gas please? Their first hand report will be very much appreciated.

I think 9.3Lakhs on road price makes it in competition with honda city. Corolla guys are giving me discount upto 68K. that bring the on road price to around 12.48. But still there is a 3.1 Lacs savings compared to both civic and also corolla.
pshyamsundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 22:42   #44
BHPian

i bought a cedia a couple of months back, its a great buy, i would say. ride quality is great, great suspension. go for it.
the corolla does have more power, but are you really gonna use it?
you dont plan on doing 0-100 runs all the time? do you?
and to top it all.. the corolla is OVERPRICED. a 3lakh price difference is HUGE!
and if youre concerned about FE, you can go in for the cedia lpg version too. its priced at par with the spirit model. @ 8.6L ex-showroom
blue2ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 23:07   #45
Senior - BHPian

Go for Cedia if you plan to drive the car. Go for Corolla if you will be chauffeured.

If you decide on Corolla, wait until the new model gets released next year.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote