Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Whats your pick?
Chevrolet Optra 1.6 19 76.00%
New Honda City 6 24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st May 2007, 13:19   #136
Team-BHP Support

Vishesh, i too suggest you to wait for the higherend model of Suzuki SX4, it sure seems to be loaded with features.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 13:19   #137
Senior - BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Goldie, I think what he's pointing out is the inconsistency in data from two Vtec owners, I don't think he's saying in any way that the Optra is more FE
Spot on Suman. I meant that.

I get around 9.5-10kmpl in Mumbai City Driving with 100% AC on and shifts at 3000RPM-4000RPM. Mine is a 1.8 with a Conical KnN filter and tyres upsized to 205 on 15inchers. Also doesnot ABS lower the FE. Mine does have ABS.

Looking at the above wont a 1.6 give a tad bit more??

Quote:
No two owners are expected to get exactly the same FE. Afterall, the driver also matters, so does the driving syle, driving conditions, and what not!
I am not trying to prove anything as its already a proven fact that OD figures are totally BS. I would surely belive Goldie's figure as they seem more accurate and possible.

Last edited by BUSA : 1st May 2007 at 13:22.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 13:21   #138
Senior - BHPian

So what are you trying to prove by the incosistent data? No two owners are expected to get exactly the same FE. Afterall, the driver also matters, so does the driving syle, driving conditions, and what not!
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 13:30   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Spot on Suman. I meant that.

I get around 9.5-10kmpl in Mumbai City Driving with 100% AC on and shifts at 3000RPM-4000RPM. Mine is a 1.8 with a Conical KnN filter and tyres upsized to 205 on 15inchers. Also doesnot ABS lower the FE. Mine does have ABS.

Looking at the above wont a 1.6 give a tad bit more??
I think it should - I did hear from a guy in my office, it gives him around 11kmpl with AC, but he drives quite sedately - nothing like you have quoted above.

Quote:
Afterall, the driver also matters, so does the driving syle, driving conditions, and what not!
Exactly - even I have managed to squeeze 14kmpl with AC, by shifting below 2.5k rpm. On the other hand, I have even got 10-11 kmpl at times (dont ask how).

PS - Suman, I meant that any figures from OD (what busa had quoted) should be the last ones to be trusted - I would rather go with ACI - afaik, it claims 10.7 for NHC-V and 9.x for Optra 1.6
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 13:36   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would surely belive Goldie's figure as they seem more accurate and possible.
My point as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite View Post
So what are you trying to prove by the incosistent data? No two owners are expected to get exactly the same FE. Afterall, the driver also matters, so does the driving syle, driving conditions, and what not!
Yes, but neither should there be a 20% variation in figures......but as Goldie says OD cannot be trusted

Last edited by suman : 1st May 2007 at 13:38.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 13:36   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly - even I have managed to squeeze 14kmpl with AC, by shifting below 2.5k rpm. On the other hand, I have even got 10-11 kmpl at times (dont ask how).
Same here. Have squeezed 13.25kmpl by shifting at 2k RPM and got 6.75kmpl by redlining in each gear every time, and you know what role the KnN plays, it just drinks more fuel at higher RPM.
Old 1st May 2007, 21:16   #142

Quote:
Who said that?? Chevrolet spares are the second cheapest in its segment, next to only the Elantra. Ans have you heard of a Chevrolet breaking down?? I have heard many Old Citys breaking down and Accords with fuel pump problems.

Interiors and dumb in a Optra. Boy, thats the first time i am hearing this. Interiors of the Optra are the best in its segment and everybody who has sat in the car will vouch for that.

I am 6ft 2, in my NHC my hair touches the roof but not in the Optra. Driving pleasure is never attributed to outright performance please. A Optra is better to drive the NHC IIMO. Because the engine of the Vtec is better you accelerate fast but you have to be on the brakes earlier, the brakes of the Vtec totally suck, the handling is poor compared to the Optra, crosswinds easilt shake the car on high speed where the Optra feels so relaxed and composed to cruise at speeds in excess of 160 without any undulations. The ride of the Optra is not at all harsh (like Vtec) If u want a Muscle type of car onlt straight line no corners then Vtec is the thing, else Optra will leave the Vtec behind on curves.

AND CONSIDER THIS
Actually ... the interiors in the Optra are pretty drab. Have driven it around ... and the gearbox feels like a TATA 407 (yes, I've driven one !!!)compared to the NHC.

As for relaxed feel of an Optra at speeds in excess of 160 kmph ... probably true, but then at that speed, I suggest you don't relax !!!

And as far as the Chevy vs. Honda fight goes ..... you really wanna start on that ???? I think the world has decided that ...
unknown_entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 22:51   #143
Senior - BHPian

I am not arguing about the engine of the Vtec, its a gem albeit slightly detuned from 110bhp. Buttttt on ride, handling, comfort, features, VFM, looks, build quality, road presence the Optra beats the Vtec.

A.S.S and Spares are the same. Infact Honda service in Mumbai is pathetice. Chevvy service is quite good IMHO.

Only place Honda wins is lower turning radius, better gearbox, performance & FE.
Old 2nd May 2007, 02:15   #144
BHPian

And...driving comfort...which i would say is the most important thing.
v.tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2007, 04:06   #145
Senior - BHPian

now let me put my opinion

in my family we have got 3 nhc

all are fullyloaded gxi models

The BLACK one has done around 80k in 2 years and it still feels new after the recent service in which the bearings were changed all the filters and the pumps were also changed returns 15+ on highways rearly used in city

The signet silver has done only around 11k in 2 years (both the black one and this bought within days of each other) and the car gives around 12 km/l with 100% a/c (mom driven) and the service cost around 610 rs in 6 months

and the latest white nhc zx now this time we really consider other cars like the optra the corolla base model the lancer but ended up buying it again because on of my dad friends has a optera fullyloaded and he said not to buy it as the A.S.S. was bad and resale wasn't great

the corolla idn't feel like a corrolla with all the wood and beige thing gone and the lacer was out as mom said it looked outdated

in the end we got a nhc and got a great deal and because over the years we have a developed a liking for honda

and 3 nhc in a family should speak about it self only
manikjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2007, 09:46   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
and 3 nhc in a family should speak about it self only
way to go - reminds me of a close relative who has 2 NHC, an Accord, plus a Civic now - totally 'fida' over Honda

also navin, who has around 8 NHC's in his family.

edit: then there is another relative who has an Astra (sold now), a Corsa sail, and an Optra 1.8 - totally floored by GM

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 2nd May 2007 at 09:48.
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:09   #147
Senior - BHPian

It usually happens that people prefer to buy cars of the same company which they own or have owned, partly because they have a good association with the dealer so better service and priority release and discounts.

If one car sells more then the other doesnot make it better then the others.
Old 3rd May 2007, 21:26   #148
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Guyz !!! kyaa yaar... i asked you to compare the VTEC and not GXi NHC with the new chevvy 1.6 optra platinum vgis...watitng for a final commentoo !
Vishesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 12:04   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishesh View Post
Guyz !!! kyaa yaar... i asked you to compare the VTEC and not GXi NHC with the new chevvy 1.6 optra platinum vgis...watitng for a final commentoo !
Vishesh, read

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...tml#post426148
&
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...tml#post426216

from both VTEC and Optra (1.8) owners - we could be biased, so take your choice.

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 4th May 2007 at 12:05.
Old 4th May 2007, 15:00   #150
Senior - BHPian

My money would go for Chevy Optra 1.6!
It is big, comfy, well built, 1.6 VGIS engine and decent GM service!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote