Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 15th December 2007, 12:16   #1
BHPian

Default Maruti SX4 ZXi or Honda City GXi

Hi all,

Family members suggested going for sedan to keep the car for next 6 to 7 years. Most (90%) of driving would be in City ~ 15 KMs Per day. Now confused BTW Maruti SX4 ZXi (8.0L) and Honda City GXi (8.63L). My mind is towards SX4 ZXi due to safety futures, alloy wheels and After Sale Support and easy maintenance. But my better half's mind is towards Honda City GXi due to better interiors and better FE. Now, I would like to know your suggestions, which is the best car to keep next 6 to 7 Years in terms of FE, low maintenance, good service network, comfort and etc? Please suggest.
Old 15th December 2007, 16:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its a closed call. Keeping in mind that you'll be using in City most of the time and family comfort, I will suggest a NHC. Class interior and good FE. what else could one ask for? huh!

But as a family driven car, if I were you, I would also consider the safety aspect. So, thats where SX4 zxi clearly stands out! If you are able to live with some cheap plastics and lesser FE (minus 2-3 kms), then it is the best buy.

Feature wise if you compare, the NHC is a ripped off. Except for a refined engine (though less horses) and better interior, SX4 leads by leaps and bounds. So ultimately it comes down to two things - absolute value versus snob value.

Absolute value = SX4 Zxi
Snob Value = NHC Gxi

Also, note that, NHC will be phashed out next year, and that may affect spare parts/resale in long run. With SX4, the NVH levels are not so great compared to NHC. But if you are the kind of guy who wants macho looks and love driving, then SX4 is what you should get - 16" wide-low profile tyres, alloys gives the feeling of a mean machine!

Last edited by iTNerd : 15th December 2007 at 16:27.
Old 15th December 2007, 16:49   #3
BANNED

Except safety features, may we know in what all does SX4 lead over NHC?
Note: NHC has a VTEC variant which has ABS/Airbags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
SX4 leads by leaps and bounds.
I don't think this is a matter of concern at all. We can believe Honda to have worked it out.
Note: This is a testimony of Honda's concern to offer the latest models to its customers, and not hold on to a model for decades
Quote:
Also, note that, NHC will be phashed out next year, and that may affect spare parts/resale in long run.
Old 15th December 2007, 17:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wait till 1st quarter of next year and you will have many other sedans rolling out. If you want to buy urgently, then go for SX4. With refined MSeries engine and safety features, you will feel absolutely secured. Moreover, your drive is only in city. I feel this might be the bes choice. But take a TD of both and then come to conclusion.
Old 15th December 2007, 18:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
100 bhp, ABS, Airbags, Automatic Climate control, Integrated music system, Steering volume controls, cheaper price tag, 16' alloys & better looks (which could be subjective though), 205 section tyres instead of skinny 175s!

I'd prefer the SX4 ZXi over the NHC. Its sheer value for money compared to the overpriced NHC.
Quote:
Note: NHC has a VTEC variant which has ABS/Airbags.I don't think this is a matter of concern at all. We can believe Honda to have worked it out.
Note: This is a testimony of Honda's concern to offer the latest models to its customers, and not hold on to a model for decades
That almost sounded like a company statement.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th December 2007 at 18:37.
Old 15th December 2007, 18:33   #6
BHPian

Had a TD already and feeling comfort with NHC. Also, NHC has good interiors. Sales Person quoted 8.63 L and offered Luminor Sun Films and Reverse Parking Sensors (10 to 11K). I asked him to take the steel wheels and give me Alloy Wheels instead, but he said it would cost 20K more and can discuss with Manager. Do any one has idea about what accessories NHC offering? What else i must ask? Thanks in advance?
Old 15th December 2007, 19:00   #7

Why cant you give a try for a Mitsubishi Cedia Select
Old 15th December 2007, 19:06   #8
BANNED

Hey yousivakutti, every car has its own features. TD both these cars. You & your family have to make the choice. If you have any concerns on any factor, we can address them.
Old 15th December 2007, 19:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More irrate NHC fans! They can't even face the facts! They don't know what a ripped off they are getting into - thin piece of hollow mettalic piece that resembles a Humpty Dumpty character with small feet (with no safety features, 14" narrow tyres, 77 bhp engine, no immbolizer, no climate control, no integrated ICU). If you can see things through, why don't you figure it out that yourself? . BTW, my friend, there is a fine line between the views of an over obsessed NHC owner and a car enthusiast. Learn to accept that realities about the shortcomings and what aren't there in your car when compared to other competitors. Just don't try to brag on blindly without knowing the facts. And one of the fact is that your 77bhp car is a big ripped off product. It managed to sell to this date because of Honda's snob value. Nothing more than that!
Quote:
Note: NHC has a VTEC variant which has ABS/Airbags.I don't think this is a matter of concern at all. We can believe Honda to have worked it out.
And at what price ? 10L OTR? You can get a Cedia Sport for less. Add a lac, and you get the Civic MT.

Quote:
Interestingly, I have to agree to this point. But that does not mean, it has to come up with a basic car that cost a bomb with no safety features

Last edited by iTNerd : 15th December 2007 at 19:31.
Old 15th December 2007, 19:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey yousivakutti, every car has its own features. TD both these cars. You & your family have to make the choice. If you have any concerns on any factor, we can address them.
The statement needs correction! Whatever NHC Gxi has as features, you will find in SX4 Zxi. But one will also find many much more features in SX4 that are not in NHC Gxi.
Old 15th December 2007, 19:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

With hardly 500 kms of driving per month, your fuel bills are not going to be substantially higher in a less FE car. Maintenance costs also may not be much different. In that case, TD both cars at least twice with your family members seated at the back. Go with what you like, and that is it. It is not that you have a choice between a flop and a success. Both are selling well and should do so for the future. Honda's maintenance is at 5K intervals and so may cost more. It is also priced higher. If you wish to pay more for better FE of a Honda (which may not lead to much savings since you expect to drive only 15-20 kms/day on average), then Honda is also a good car to buy.
Old 15th December 2007, 19:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

SX4 ZXi all the way - It's safety features & GC make it a winner hands down.

And since your driving is not that much - FE is not going to be a very big concern.
Old 15th December 2007, 20:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
More irrate NHC fans! They can't even face the facts! They don't know what a ripped off they are getting into - thin piece of hollow mettalic piece that resembles a Humpty Dumpty character with small feet (with no safety features, 14" narrow tyres, 77 bhp engine, no immbolizer, no climate control, no integrated ICU). If you can see things through, why don't you figure it out that yourself? . BTW, my friend, there is a fine line between the views of an over obsessed NHC owner and a car enthusiast. Learn to accept that realities about the shortcomings and what aren't there in your car when compared to other competitors. Just don't try to brag on blindly without knowing the facts. And one of the fact is that your 77bhp car is a big ripped off product. It managed to sell to this date because of Honda's snob value. Nothing more than that!

And at what price ? 10L OTR? You can get a Cedia Sport for less. Add a lac, and you get the Civic MT.

Interestingly, I have to agree to this point. But that does not mean, it has to come up with a basic car that cost a bomb with no safety features
I m not a NHC fan.I m a maruti loyalist but got to say.The quality of NHC is light years ahead compared to the quality of SX4.
Check out the engine refinment for yourself.Life is not always about BHP and top speed.
Anway since you have spoken about top speeds.Do u actually know how much the difference in top speeds is?its a mere 2 km.SX4 is 179 and honda city with its 77 bhp engine is 177kmph.
Rev both the engines to high rpms and the harshness of the SX4 engine is not likable whereas the city engine is a gem of its kinds.
Mileage-Again the City wins
Well if u want awesome quality in whatever u get go for the honda city
If u want quanity - minus the awesome quality go for the SX4
Old 15th December 2007, 20:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
100 bhp, ABS, Airbags, Automatic Climate control, Integrated music system, Steering volume controls, cheaper price tag, 16' alloys & better looks (which could be subjective though), 205 section tyres instead of skinny 175s!

I'd prefer the SX4 ZXi over the NHC. Its sheer value for money compared to the overpriced NHC.

That almost sounded like a company statement.
Skinny 175s.Just because you are comparing it with the wider track of the 205s does not make the 175s skinny.Look at the esteems best upsize size.Its 175/70/R13 and has awesome grip with it and esteem is even more powerful than the honda citys 77bhp.
So for a 77bhp 175 track is not skinny.Offcourse u can upsize for more grip but 175s are good enough IMO
Old 15th December 2007, 20:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

everybody has different preferences. Best take a test drive of the two to decide. I for one dont like the looks of either and would prefer an aveo 1.6LT fully loaded with optiona ABS and airbags. plus they have a good maintainence money return plan.

But between the two I would say SX4. I just had a sit in one today and atleast think that the rear legroom is excellent. Plus in no way do I think the interiors lack any flare compared to the NHC. the integrated stereo controls and the metallic finish centre bars looks good. Yes it always reminds you that you are driving a maruti though.
Closed Thread