Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2008, 17:00   #16
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,710
Thanked: 8,930 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
What about the Sonata Embera ? Wont it squeeze in ur budget with discounts?
Embera CRDi manual costs 15lakhs ex-showroom,delhi even with negotiations the discounts wont exceed 40k max.
.anshuman is offline  
Old 15th January 2008, 17:02   #17
HSV
BHPian
 
HSV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 327
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
How about the City Automatic. After the Santro/i10 the next automatic is the City. There is nothing in between!

I know this is below the budget but may be an option. Having owned small auto's since 1999 (Zen till mid 2005 and Santro thereafter) I can confirm that they are great city cars (at the cost of 20% in economy) The i10 Auto should come at a premium of about 75k from the second top model (based on my experience of the Santro).

Have let the CVT be for the time being (as explained earlier). I am not too sure of it for now.

The i10 A/T would have been good, but if I was to keep the indigo for the wife for the next 2-3 years, then I am sure I'd have more options by then, in that price segment. However I'd like some advice whether I should keep the Indigo at all or sell it while I can?
HSV is offline  
Old 15th January 2008, 17:03   #18
HSV
BHPian
 
HSV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 327
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Embera CRDi manual costs 15lakhs ex-showroom,delhi even with negotiations the discounts wont exceed 40k max.
Excatly what I thought. Although it was good food for thought .
HSV is offline  
Old 15th January 2008, 17:09   #19
HSV
BHPian
 
HSV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 327
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
You could change your Indigo and let your wifey continue to drive the 800. Options for a new car would be Cedia while being in Delhi, you could have plenty of pre-owned car options, say Optra 1.8, Sonata Embera or Accord or even a CRV... and if lucky with an auto box... best of luck in your search!
Thanks bud, however would you be in a position to advice me whether it would be good to sell the Indigo now while I can or hang on to it (since its in top condition), and face the risk of it causing problems later, or the govt banning old diesel vehicles (ouch)!

I am not too keen on the Optra petrol (new or old) at all. A 2nd hand CRV or Accord is not a bad option, however being in a more expensive segment than the Vitara I doubt if they'd fit my budget. The ones that would may not be very recent.

The 2nd hand Embera may be a good option considering its similarly priced. However I have no idea where to start as far as the 2nd hand market is concerned. Do you think I can land a few months old Embera (max an year old) with say as little as 5-6000 kms on the odo in the 10-12L budget? Do you think its worth it in case I do? Or do you think I should stick to what our forefathers used to teach us - be conventional - buy new!

EDIT: Am not considering HM at all. Great product, bad A*S*S, atleast thats what I have been given to understand! I think I'd be better off buying a Optra Magnum LT instead of the Cedia - correct me if I am wrong pls.

Last edited by HSV : 15th January 2008 at 17:15.
HSV is offline  
Old 15th January 2008, 17:15   #20
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,669 Times
Default

look at a 2nd hand accord 2.4 auto. youd get a decent one for about 10l. the maintainence on that wouldnt be more than a civic. + youd have a car which is a segment higher than a civic.
Akshay1234 is offline  
Old 15th January 2008, 17:30   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,195
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default

Pls pls pls dot buy an embera! Selling that thing would be harder than selling a freezer to an eskimo!!!!
JayD is offline  
Old 15th January 2008, 17:49   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 1,081
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

HSV - I've done about 6k kms in my August '07 Magnum. Haven't faced any problems (touch wood). 5k kms service bill came to Rs. 1448.00.
shuvd is offline  
Old 15th January 2008, 18:13   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,223
Thanked: 1,173 Times
Default

The magnum is a great car for a family. The only thing thats a downer is the shoddy handling.
reignofchaos is online now  
Old 15th January 2008, 18:42   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore / Manila
Posts: 121
Thanked: Once
Default

EDIT: Am not considering HM at all. Great product, bad A*S*S, atleast thats what I have been given to understand! I think I'd be better off buying a Optra Magnum LT instead of the Cedia - correct me if I am wrong pls.


HSV,

You are wrong here. Mitsubishi a.s.s. is exceptionally good. These are market perceptions and surely they matter but not to the extent that you would settle for an inferior product like Optra LT compared to Cedia. I own Cedia now and earlier owned Zen for 5 years. Comparing the two companies Maruti Suzuki vs Mitsubishi HM, I am sure I would say Mitsubishi HM combo gives better service.

Some of my realities with Maruti Suzuki. Bad and crowded service centres. Never deliver on promised time. Late delivery with half the job not done. And I am talking of at least 6 different dealers in Delhi and Bangalore over a period of 5 years. But what is market perception; Maruti Suzuki is the best car company in terms of a.s.s. and people buy anything that they offer.

In comparison, Mitsubishi HM service is sheer delight. Forget complaining, it is a wow factor. Spares are easily available and much cheaper than what they use to be when the car got launched. All major cities / towns in India have Mitsubishi dealers. Since there are fewer cars higher you go up the segment, better service you get. Dealers pay better and more attention.

Well, that may not be the case with SX4 owners as they still have to jostle with the owners of 800s, Altos, Wagon R, Zen etc etc

I would say again, do not make your final decision based of this factor alone. End of the day we are talking Mitsubishi which has created legendary cars. They would not falter at it.

I am a proud owner of Cedia and Mitsubishi has not faltered on any count, perhaps better marketing.
Chat is offline  
Old 15th January 2008, 22:05   #25
VMG
BHPian
 
VMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 319
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Cedia may be a good choice. Do the TD and decide.
VMG is offline  
Old 15th January 2008, 22:40   #26
BHPian
 
burnt.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 247
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
Hadnt considered this until now. I'd love to buy it if thats the case. The car looks great and have heard its peppy too, and the A/T is a tiptronic - fabulous! But isnt the price around the 15L mark? Not sure what discounts are being offered on this. Would you know whats the max discount available on this?

It's unlikely that the Sonata will meet your budget. Even so, it suffers from extremely low resale value. If you can stretch your budget, do go for the Civic. Else, the City CVT will serve you well.
burnt. is offline  
Old 16th January 2008, 12:15   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,735
Thanked: 89,298 Times
Default

Quote:
You are wrong here. Mitsubishi a.s.s. is exceptionally good. These are market perceptions
True. I was actually surprised (pleasantly), when I saw 90% of Mitsu ownership reviews giving satisfactory ratings to the after-sales.
GTO is offline  
Old 16th January 2008, 15:34   #28
BHPian
 
Maibaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 284
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

HM-Mitsu after-sales service is definitely good. I guess its partly due to the low customer base.

But again, that turns out to be a positive factor for the customer. Lesser no of customers means more attention and better service.
Maibaa is offline  
Old 16th January 2008, 16:21   #29
BHPian
 
AirWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 809
Thanked: 76 Times
Default

HSV - I see a good possibility in the Delhi govt asking all diesel cars owners to convert to CNG rather than banning them altogether... I feel you would be better off selling the Indigo now rather than 2 yrs later, considering that the 2nd hand will be (or is already?) a buyers market and you wouldnt stand to loose too much on your 800.

I would think a 3 Yr old Accord or a 2 year old CRV or a 1 yr old Sonata Embera will suit your bill - check out pre-owned dealerships, verify the car ownership and service history and have a mechanic certify the car before you decide to pick one... Suggest you take a look at the Mitsu Cedia, its VFM but ONLY if you intend to keep it for 5 Yrs due to the poor resale perception.

You can call me unconventional, why not have someone else take the depreciation hit of a new car, my next car will be a pre-owned one for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
Thanks bud, however would you be in a position to advice me whether it would be good to sell the Indigo now while I can or hang on to it (since its in top condition), and face the risk of it causing problems later, or the govt banning old diesel vehicles (ouch)!

I am not too keen on the Optra petrol (new or old) at all. A 2nd hand CRV or Accord is not a bad option, however being in a more expensive segment than the Vitara I doubt if they'd fit my budget. The ones that would may not be very recent.

The 2nd hand Embera may be a good option considering its similarly priced. However I have no idea where to start as far as the 2nd hand market is concerned. Do you think I can land a few months old Embera (max an year old) with say as little as 5-6000 kms on the odo in the 10-12L budget? Do you think its worth it in case I do? Or do you think I should stick to what our forefathers used to teach us - be conventional - buy new!

EDIT: Am not considering HM at all. Great product, bad A*S*S, atleast thats what I have been given to understand! I think I'd be better off buying a Optra Magnum LT instead of the Cedia - correct me if I am wrong pls.
AirWind is offline  
Old 17th January 2008, 11:22   #30
HSV
BHPian
 
HSV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 327
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks for your feedback guys. Ok, I'll probably go and take a test drive of the Cedia whenever I can. However from whatever little I know, I think its a M/T. There used to be a Lancer A/T offered in India earlier (tiptronic) but not anymore.

Would any one be able to guide me on the following:

1) How much can I expect to get if I sell my Indigo now (Model: Indigo LX - Oct 2004, single owner)?

2) How much can I expect to get if I sell my M800 now (Model: M800DX - Jul 1998, single owner)?

A little background about my cars (to help you price them), if required:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
I am very finicky about maintaining my cars and hence have made sure that have got anything faulty REPLACED on my Indigo from the TATA service centre instead of repair. Therefore the Indigo is in top condition (outside and inside both), so much so that the service guys comment that this is the first Indigo they have seen which is 3 years old but doesnt look its age (I am flattered - dunno they may just be pulling my leg! ). Have replaced all four tyres to Bridgestone tubeless 185x65x14 around 3 months ago (although the stock JK's could have lasted another 5000 kms easily as per the tyre wala - however dont like to compromise on safety! The car easily gives me 13-14 kmpl in city (always with A/C on, even on idling) and 18-19 kmpl on highway (always with A/C on). The car has done 48000kms till date in 3 years and 3 months.

The M800 has been more of a step-daughter as I had kept it for 2 years after buying brand new and then went overseas for 5 years. Was used by various family members while I was away (however was regularly maintained from Maruti service centre). Been 3 years now since I've been back and have got it regularly serviced from maruti dealership but the car didnt run much as I had bought the Indigo on arrival. Had changed all four tyres to new around 2 years ago, however its run only 5000 kms in the last 3 years (maybe even less - not sure). Only started running when the wife started learning to drive on it a few months back. However the car is great - keeps going on and on without much maintenance being required (maybe it hasnt run so much for me to feel the pinch). The car has done 65000kms till date in 9 years and 6 months.

Last edited by HSV : 17th January 2008 at 11:24.
HSV is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep/Gypsy/Safari?? Totally confused what to buy.Please help me.. princezahed SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 26 15th April 2008 17:29
Expert Advice Needed: Audio System for Ikon(Budget 20 K) mohit_moh In-Car Entertainment 5 18th November 2007 20:45
Sonata embera or corolla or optra or civic?totally confused sam_78 Sedans 122 2nd April 2007 22:37
Totally Confused What Car/SUV/MUV? SLK SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 34 3rd August 2006 07:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks