Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 7th February 2008, 00:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

But there are a couple of horror stories on the forum itself of dealing with Shrimanker, so I would be a little apprehensive.

Also, I don't mean to offend anyone but IMO CNG/LPG are nothing but juggad fuels & given that our car's engines are not designed from the outset to run on them, I would rather prefer to have a conventional fuel running them for long term safety & reliability.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 08:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Its partner fitment, not FACTORY fitted. But its good enough. Trust me - we trust the car with ourselves everyday
what car do you drive? indica/indigo?
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 08:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
But there are a couple of horror stories on the forum itself of dealing with Shrimanker, so I would be a little apprehensive.

Also, I don't mean to offend anyone but IMO CNG/LPG are nothing but juggad fuels & given that our car's engines are not designed from the outset to run on them, I would rather prefer to have a conventional fuel running them for long term safety & reliability.
i asked about this, the guy using a cng told that its better to run on petrol for 1st and last km of the trip on petrol.

ishan, its like more than 3 rs/km saving when compared to petrol.
Old 7th February 2008, 09:51   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post

Shrimanker has cleared up things of late. But then who doesnt have TATA horror stories either - and if panky is returning to TATA, he can handle shrimanker. Its just about standing on their head while fitment happens. In my bro's case, he didnt even do that

and your statement is patently wrong for current gen kits - with closed loop, lambda and ECU the engine IS TUNED to CNG. At the end of the day, all fuels are merely carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
what car do you drive? indica/indigo?
My bro has an indica Dec06, closed loop lambda.

Quote:
i asked about this, the guy using a cng told that its better to run on petrol for 1st and last km of the trip on petrol.

ishan, its like more than 3 rs/km saving when compared to petrol.
Spot on. Saving is tremendous. See all the new CNG WagonRs running as cabs.

And you DONT need to run like that. Firstly, car starts in petrol. You rev it beyond 2.5k RPM to enter CNG. All you need is to run it on petrol occasionally, like once a week, some 3-4km. Keeps fuel circulating, and things from clogging. And make sure that in service, your petrol isnt cleaned out (as service centers sometimes do). Then clogging etc can happen.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 13:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Spot on. Saving is tremendous. See all the new CNG WagonRs running as cabs.
thanks. my choices are either Logan + CNG or indigo diesel.

what am apprehensive about is going back to shrimankers for every small issues (i dont know if CNG has some issues or the other at frequent intervals, and thats precisely where i'm concerned); end of the day you need peace of mind when you buy a new car and not engine misfiring and all.
Old 8th February 2008, 00:10   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Short answer is, no it doesnt. If there are issues, you'll figure out first day itself. Like a non-functional lambda sensor Our lambda sensor had some idling issues, so was replaced first chance.

After that, its been preventive stuff - Tata came out with OEM wiring harness/ upgraded ECU and we got a free upgrade. But even without it, car was painless. Doubt an average 'dealer' giving you the same.

That ways, even at Apra, I saw a taxi wala (esteem open loop) complain about car switching off while coasting (think signal 200m ahead, and you putting car into neutral to slowly stop). Whereas in our alto, almost 2k km now and nary a trouble, save the low end torque absence

in short, shrimanker today is an upgraded lot. The product's much refined and market tested now

addendum: even the headaches we've had have been TATA related, not shrimanker's - the initial case was only that lambda wasn't set properly and hence wasn't idling well on CNG. Was reset in five minutes.

you can check my threads/posts about bhai's car. the CNG has been spotless. touch wood. Its the overall tata experience that's unbeatable

and just realized, ford flair CNG?saw a couple beech mein. their owners were happy with it. why not try that?
and logan with CNG means NO warranty (havent heard of cng with warranty there!). why?

Last edited by phamilyman : 8th February 2008 at 00:14.
Old 10th February 2008, 22:30   #22
BANNED

Ford Ikon Flair with CNG - No Boot space left at all - so no woofers.
Logan with CNG and woofers - Your car will get heavy. the empty tank weighs about 70 kgs, fill that up with about 11 kgs of Gas. woofers would weigh about 10kg each and enclosure another 30kgs (considering you have two woofers)

adds upto about 130 Kgs approx. thats a lot of weight.

i am happy with my accent CNG, closed loop lambda & timing advancer and kit heated by engine coolant. got spacers for the rear. but yes, i do lose about 5% of the performance. big deal eh? it is still fast, i still crosses 170kmph & i end up saving more than 3 bucks a km as compared to petrol!

so in the end it is all upto you. would you go and fill CNG every second day? wait in the queues if required? sometimes it is 20 cars long
saintsinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 22:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
Ford Ikon Flair with CNG - No Boot space left at all - so no woofers.
OT: There are lots of people in this forum itself who are unhappy about Ikon not supporting the CNG/LPG kits. They have removed the installed LPG/CNG kits and are running on petrol now.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 03:17   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
OT: There are lots of people in this forum itself who are unhappy about Ikon not supporting the CNG/LPG kits. They have removed the installed LPG/CNG kits and are running on petrol now.
My installer, does not install CNG kits in Ikon anymore. they always have some trouble.
Maruti cars are the best for CNG he says. a Swift came to him after 1 1/2 yrs of installation. just the air filter needed a change.
Old 11th February 2008, 03:22   #25
BANNED

Quote:
thanks. my choices are either Logan + CNG or indigo diesel.

what am apprehensive about is going back to shrimankers for every small issues (i dont know if CNG has some issues or the other at frequent intervals, and thats precisely where i'm concerned); end of the day you need peace of mind when you buy a new car and not engine misfiring and all.
it took atleast 4-5 visits to the tuner over a period of 3 weeks to get the CNG working perfectly.
Old 11th February 2008, 12:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
My installer, does not install CNG kits in Ikon anymore. they always have some trouble.
Maruti cars are the best for CNG he says. a Swift came to him after 1 1/2 yrs of installation. just the air filter needed a change.
Current generation engines like MPFI /M series engines will also take some time to get adusted for CNG/LPG kits i.,e you may needs to visit the installed around 4~5 times to get it properly tuned.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 08:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Update:

Bought Indigo LS, happy with the decision. Indigo is FAAR better than Indica (atleast the one I was driving for last couple of years).

Requesting mods to edit the title to "Bought Indigo".

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th February 2008 at 08:10. Reason: on request
Old 27th February 2008, 22:48   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

LS ki GLS maalik?

Congrats either ways.
PS: Your indica was NA, right?
Old 29th February 2008, 14:18   #29
BHPian

Default Logan

Quick query
Why was Logan Diesel not on your list at all ?

Cause from what I have heard it offers
- Great mileage
- Much more interior space than Indigo
- Bigger boot
- Have read only good reviews about the car on comfort and performance (not a racehorse like verna but good enough for normal folks )

Regarding the looks since you were anyway considering Logan + CNG I assume you were fine with it.

Moreover Black with wheels changed to some good looking Alloys + a Boot spoiler looks quite good
checkout
Front
http://i27.servimg.com/u/f27/11/91/32/65/logan_13.jpg
Rear
http://i27.servimg.com/u/f27/11/91/32/65/logan_12.jpg
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote