Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 17th January 2005, 19:26   #1
BHPian

Thumbs down used cars? (ikon or accent or baleno)

hi everyone, this is my first thread - so i hope i get some 'beginners luck' in getting replies to this...

we plan to buy a used car with a mileage around 30k. though the baleno is substantially more expensive than accent or ikon 1.6, the resale values are much closer.

so which car would u suggest as a good buy for a spirited driver? accent GLS, ikon 1.6, or baleno?

spirits apart, money being big-mouthed, i also would pay attention to the big discrepancy in FE between the ikon and baleno.

so what's team bhp's verdict?
skandyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2005, 19:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

i think go in for the baleno....good performance...n mileage....n its maruti so u dont hvav to worry at all for spares(havta consider tht ) cause being a second hand car ull need a few spares depending on how the car was driven by the previous owner.....accent is also good but u mite hav a problem wit the suspension as the suspension in the earlier models isnt tht good n is known to giv problems....only the newer ones come witha stiff suspension......so if i were in ur place .....i would be all for the baleno ....
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2005, 20:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

after the stopped production of the old city, the baleno is suddenly becoming everyone's favourite .
the ikon 1.6 is an outright drivers car wit its superb engine ,but mabbe the FE is lightly on the lower side,but NC's car has given abt 13kpl in the city when driven with light foot.but like the GTX,the 1.6 ikon is meant to be ripped.
the baleno is also a good drive,with phenomenal mileage in its category,but its parts are still expensive .the interiors simply sukkk .

the 1.6 DOHC tornado is nooooo.its got got 100 horses under it according to hyundai,but most of them are invisible.

if i wrer u ,i wud have gone for the baleno
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2005, 20:48   #4
BHPian

Hey...nice to have u on board...yea...BALENO "all the way"
i second wat satya said...the accent seems to have atleast 30% of its "horses" invisible...is'nt exactly a car to be redlined...the ikon is GROSSLY over-rated in the performance department...the fact that it has a MASSIVE speedo error gives the driver a feelin that hez/shez(yep...seen females redline) gna break the sound barrier...but it really aint too fast...the baleno is the best bet...maybe throw in bout 10 grand after buyin a baleno and get a free flow with a portin n polishin job done...that'll make it a decent performer...
cheers
Rice_tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2005, 22:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

hey...its gotta be the baleno all the way. i have a baleno and an accent ...the accent comes nowhere close to the baleno...as satya rightfully said the horses are invisible or rather they are sleeping in the boot...hence the sluggishness..hehe.
also since its pre-owned u gotta take spares into account and maruti is way better than ford.
suuuuuuu-zuuuuuuuu-kiiiiiiiiiiiii
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2005, 22:40   #6
Team-BHP Support

baleno dude , best in the used car market total value for money like any other maruti .
let us knwe watt u decide and welcome to bhp , enjoy your stay !
manson .
manson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2005, 22:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
accent GLS, ikon 1.6, or baleno?
No competition. The Baleno.

Enuff said

GTO
GTO - Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2005, 23:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Baleno!!! Its a superb performer.And with the mileage,power and maruti one can never go wrong.

X
X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 00:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

the ikon 1.6 all the way for me !!
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 00:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
the baleno is also a good drive,with phenomenal mileage in its category,but its parts are still expensive .the interiors simply sukkk .
i assumed it to be good as i have heard of 13kpl in city.but if an ikon 1.6 can give 10-11-12 consistently in teh city ,then i change my vote,its the ikon for me for its engine,handling and fun factor.
Old 18th January 2005, 22:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

IKON 1.6 ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!
I'm biased, but I have a strange attachement to 1.6 Ikons.
The Ikon, with its responsive engine, nice exahust note and (ahem) speedo error, is much better, cos after all, youll enjoy urself, which is wot is important.
But Balenos not bad either. Except it looks SICK.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 22:42   #12
BHPian

With just a simple upgrade to the stock tyres, a Baleno will WHUP an Ikon where it hurts the most. There is simply no competition.

I mention this cos you have mentioned that you are a spirited driver and are stuck between these three cars.

GTO
GTO - Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 23:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring
With just a simple upgrade to the stock tyres, a Baleno will WHUP an Ikon where it hurts the most. There is simply no competition.

I mention this cos you have mentioned that you are a spirited driver and are stuck between these three cars.

GTO

ikon still for me ...looks farfar better than the baleno....an abt baleno whipping an ikon ....... hehehe

i have nothing against the baleno but .............i wonder how the baleno has become a fav of all arnd here , gto?? ,

its cheaper or is it becoz it is a japenese thats y ???

the ikon looks much better ..is better on the inside...a fantastic handling car and a responsive engine giving abt the same FE as the baleno......

wut wud u do ??

Last edited by normally_crazy : 18th January 2005 at 23:40.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2005, 09:23   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Have driven an Ikon till Goa. Driven a Baleno to Goa. Nothing lets you understand a car better than over a really long drive which entails all kinds of driving conditions. More so when its a 2000 km round trip. The Ikon was great...dont get me wrong. But the Baleno was that much better for an enthusiast.

The Baleno was previously priced at 8.5 lacs on the road in Mumbai. With a 2 lakh rupee price cut, it naturally comes across as a superb proposition.

Its become a favorite primarily because of the value it offers now. Shame about the looks.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2005, 11:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

yess its because of its reduced price that the lxi suddenly has become very attractive.morever as its from maruti,u have to assume that its got superbbb FE.
having driven both the SXi and the baleno ,it was always the ikon for me ,but as i had heard that it gives abt 7-9kpl in city,i had to vote for the baleno .
but now after knowing the actual figures,i am for the ikon