Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 26th February 2008, 20:57   #46

...safari's and they are amazing cars except for when they break down and cost a fortune to repair...
... Also parking a safari in Delhi markets is not going to be fun...
...Remember current safari model is very old and may be overdue for a makeover in next year or two...
And, yet, you say I should go for a safari?
Can others please comment on the last observation (see above) of morphin1?

I seriously think you should have asked "Why Should i NOT buy a Safari 2.2"
Ha-Ha...perhaps you are right.

Being a would be Safari owner what I feel is
1) I would miss the point and shoot drives
2) find it a bit tough maneuvering at traffic jams
3) I will find trouble finding parking space but I guess the size and exclusivity can be miused
4) Let both give same mileage, I still save with Safari
Would you have the safari as the only car at home? (especially, if you are the only one who drives)
kkdelhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 13:09   #47
Default Safari V/s Sedan - insights from Mumbai

I have a different take on this - from Mumbaikar perspective specially

Higher you are - better it is for you!

#) With the uneven-ness, occasional craters, falling political hoardings/ lamp-post mounted boards, fallen traffic police drums used as road dividers Mumbai roads beg you to use a steel frame reinforced tractor - not so in Delhi where roads are lot better.

#) you might be better off in Mumbai monsoons in a Safari- with diesel engine and roof thats that high - chances that you will not drown easily in occasional rains.

Line of sight - information is everything
#) Safari gives you great line of sight to locate hiding "mama" (i.e. traffic policemen) - so that you can make informed decision about jumping signals or obeying.

#) About out-doing traffic jams - Safari owners also benefit from better line of sight allowing them to locate which lane has a jam.

Size does matter - (Handling matters - but size talks)
#) Safari also makes you on par with pilot vehicles around a politician's car - the "commandos" think twice/thrice before throwing abuses at you as you are sitting above them (they usually ride a Gypsy or Qualis - in Mumbai - and they still abuse never-the-less guess they have carbines that have better negotiating power)

#) As a Mumbai sedan driver you are prone to being intimidated by taxi-walas, Innova owners, dump trucks, vans and BEST buses - Safari owners do have a relatively better bargaining position.

#) Maneuvering is supposed to be easy in a sedan - but in Mumbai traffic its Safari that wins hands down - just put the indicator on and you will see space created for you!!

#) with Safari you can overcome occasional broken dividers, sand and construction equipment (cement bags, steel rods etc) with ease

#) As regards parking - where does one get that in Mumbai???

Hope everyone got the sarcasm and no one does anything illegal on Mumbai streets - Safari owners please spare me - I drive an Ikon and don't want to cross roads with you while I am at it!!

rahuldeodhar is offline   Reply With Quote