Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:56   #1
BHPian
 
kkdelhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 230
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Why should I buy a sedan?

That is precisely my question!

My heart longs for a LandCruiser, though the money would be just enough to buy a 2BHK home in Delhi. My heart next longs for a Safari, though I am not too sure whether I should go for it now, or taste (sorry, own) a sedan first.

I have a Swift VXi at present. When I bought it last June, the SX4 was just about making its entry into the market. Now, with so many on the road, I think perhaps it's not a bad car after all. The ZXi is a real VFM. And, if I go for it, I will get to experience all that is currently lacking in my Swift.

But then I think - is it real practical to go for a sedan?

Sedan disadvantages (in my opinion only) -
1. more difficult to maneouvre.
2. needs more space to park.
3. lower FE (as heavier than a hatch).
4. bigger turning radius.
5. have to get out of the car (whether rain or heat) to access the boot.

Sedan advantage (again, in my opinion only) -
1. ego boost.

I know it also has a bigger boot space, but how many times in a year are you going to go all packing with your family to the hills?

Enlighten me, please. Or, should I directly go two steps ahead and go for a Safari, instead (I know it has the same disadvantages as a sedan outlined above, but then it's a SAFARI, right? - different league altogether)
kkdelhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 19:55   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,900
Thanked: 2,492 Times
Default

Lol you seem to be finding more opinions in favor of Safari to Convince yourself

Firstly what are you comparing the sedan against, a Hatch or a Safari?

With Safari the evils of sedan get amplified & so does positives.

You get more space with Safari though
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 20:17   #3
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,477
Thanked: 158 Times
Default

If u mention Safari in ur Line and then i think u will stick to it for the way u will be treated in that vehicle is amazing, u will be the King.

Everyone if they see Safari in ur thread u will be poured in with replies from everyone suggesting u to go for The King - Tata Safari

Reclaim ur life by becoming the proud owner of The King - Safari and enjoy ur drive with ur family
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 20:19   #4
BHPian
 
sreenivass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bangalore India
Posts: 872
Thanked: 6 Times
Default this is the reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
That is precisely my question!

My heart longs for a LandCruiser, though the money would be just enough to buy a 2BHK home in Delhi. My heart next longs for a Safari, though I am not too sure whether I should go for it now, or taste (sorry, own) a sedan first.

I have a Swift VXi at present. When I bought it last June, the SX4 was just about making its entry into the market. Now, with so many on the road, I think perhaps it's not a bad car after all. The ZXi is a real VFM. And, if I go for it, I will get to experience all that is currently lacking in my Swift.

But then I think - is it real practical to go for a sedan?

Sedan disadvantages (in my opinion only) -
1. more difficult to maneouvre.
2. needs more space to park.
3. lower FE (as heavier than a hatch).
4. bigger turning radius.
5. have to get out of the car (whether rain or heat) to access the boot.

Sedan advantage (again, in my opinion only) -
1. ego boost.

I know it also has a bigger boot space, but how many times in a year are you going to go all packing with your family to the hills?

Enlighten me, please. Or, should I directly go two steps ahead and go for a Safari, instead (I know it has the same disadvantages as a sedan outlined above, but then it's a SAFARI, right? - different league altogether)
Sedan advantage (my reasons)

Can accommodate family with ample luggage space. The number of trips I make in a year with family and luggage is less, but important both in quality and the number of Kilometers covered. one will find it all the more useful if one has children too in the family.

I cover about 7K-10K KMs per year, at least 3k-4K Kilometers are with family and luggage.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 21:07   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Interesting.

Sedan coz it more comfortable, more spacious, more safer.

If you can get the Safari get it because its bigger, need more space to park, its bulky, its comfortable, its spacious, its big, it looks far better than SX4., it runs on diesel, its powerful,it commands respect and coz its one of a kind .
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 21:49   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Sedan coz it more comfortable, more spacious, more safer.
Arre JK Bhai arent some hatches more comfortable, safer and spacious then sedans? Case in point Fabia, Getz, SRV?
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 22:11   #7
BHPian
 
praveen_v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 457
Thanked: 120 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
That is precisely my question!

My heart longs for a LandCruiser, though the money would be just enough to buy a 2BHK home in Delhi. My heart next longs for a Safari, though I am not too sure whether I should go for it now, or taste (sorry, own) a sedan first.

5. have to get out of the car (whether rain or heat) to access the boot.
With some sedans you can flip the back seat to access the boot. Not a very practical way but you can do it when it's raining outside . I used to do it in my Indigo. Very few cars offer 60:40 rear seat split which is really good feature, Dont know why everyone doesnt give it.

LOL you are caught across the segments. If you do a lot of Highway trips and drive yourself go for the Safari. If it's mainly city, you can do with a sedan or even your current car and buy a 2BHK flat instead . you will soon be fed up with driving a safari in a city espacially in tight parking spaces.

Moving from a hatch to a sedan gives you boot space and also some additional interior space and a more complete look to the car (Normal sedans.. Not the boot attached ones like Dezire LOL). Disadvantages you have already listed out.
praveen_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 22:17   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Arre JK Bhai arent some hatches more comfortable, safer and spacious then sedans? Case in point Fabia, Getz, SRV?
Fabia & SRV @ 8lac plus? How many do we have at TBHP?

Getz is a good car. My point is if one has the option to a better car why not and dont tell me Getz is safer/bigger/VFM than a Safari or SX4.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 22:45   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 120
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Why should I buy a sedan?

Its only because we Indians tend to travel with as many people as possible-the more the merrier!
A hatch is somehow perceived as being a small car and a sedan, however compact, is seen as a big car.

However-
A hatchback, 3-door rather than 5-door, is what a lot of westerners with small children prefer.
A hatch is sportier (quicker), easier to reverse and to park, and probably a bit more fuel-efficient than its sedan equivalent.
Hatches occupy less space on the road-important in our congested cities.
Three boxes being safer is debatable in this age of crumple zones.
Prestige-many vehicles sold as 'luxury' cars in India are available as hatches abroad, for example the SX4, Fiesta, Lancer.
gkrishk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 23:21   #10
BHPian
 
ezee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 198
Thanked: 200 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
But then I think - is it real practical to go for a sedan?
Why do we travel in flights when train and buses are available?
ezee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 23:35   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
rr_zen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 262 Times
Default

While I appreciate the concept of crumple zones in today's world, IMO a sedan is safer than a hatch esp in case of rear end collisions.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 03:32   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 294
Thanked: 14 Times
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
That is precisely my question!
Me too seriously debating a similar confusion. My current Santro is 6 years old and showing signs of wear, I think i need to upgrade before Nano launches. (Not sure how the resale value will be affected)

I am torn between the options of house and upgrade to a small sedan (dezire, indigo cs) or simply Safari and blow my 10l?

Even though my head (& wife) says house first - I suspect real estate prices are going to come down soon - my heart is pushing for Safari.

Now add Grande to this equation
druva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 03:34   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,224
Thanked: 1,175 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
That is precisely my question!

Sedan disadvantages (in my opinion only) -
1. more difficult to maneouvre.
2. needs more space to park.
3. lower FE (as heavier than a hatch).
4. bigger turning radius.
5. have to get out of the car (whether rain or heat) to access the boot.
All the points here are quite incorrect other than the fact that it needs more space to park because of length. I'll just take the case of my car vs the Swift.

1. I find my Cedia to be more maneouverable than any hatch sold in India. Infact I find it much easier to drive than my dad's maruti zen.

2. True

3. Depends upon what you consider low. My car consistently gives me 10km/l in bangalore traffic and I have a very heavy foot. I'm sure in a place with less traffic it'll be much more. Under ideal conditions, FE for this 2 ltr engine is unbelievable. I just came back from a night highway run of 180km and the fuel indicator shows roughly 1/4th of the tank empty (50L tank).

4. Funny thing is my car has a turning radius of 4.9m vs 5.1m of the swift .

5. One can access the boot from the passenger cabin.

All I'd say is go test drive a Cedia/Skoda RS/Fiesta 1.6 once... Just to get the feel of a good handling Sedan.

Quote:
Enlighten me, please. Or, should I directly go two steps ahead and go for a Safari, instead (I know it has the same disadvantages as a sedan outlined above, but then it's a SAFARI, right? - different league altogether)
If you love the safari, just get it. Its an awesome truck to own. I completely love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishk View Post
A hatch is sportier (quicker), easier to reverse and to park, and probably a bit more fuel-efficient than its sedan equivalent.
Show me one hatch which is faster than a Skoda RS :P. The only fast hatch I can think of is the Getz CRDi. The rest of your points, I've already answered above.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 04:30   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,360 Times
Default

A sedan can take luggage to the airport/railway station. Though for the same purpose one may hire a taxi.

Long trips may be few but when called for sedan offers its boot to utilize. An option the hatch wouldn't provide at all.

However I like estates more than sedans.

But Safari vs Sedan is like asking whether cannola oil is better than vanilla icecream.

Moreover we take the flight when we need to reach a destination within a short time, otherwise a train journey is really enjoyable for some. A sedan vs Hatch might not indicate similar shortening of journey times.

Last edited by 1100D : 23rd February 2008 at 04:32.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 04:56   #15
BHPian
 
jerish666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Trivandrum,Kochi,Trissur
Posts: 757
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
All the points here are quite incorrect other than the fact that it needs more space to park because of length. I'll just take the case of my car vs the Swift.

1. I find my Cedia to be more maneouverable than any hatch sold in India. Infact I find it much easier to drive than my dad's maruti zen.

2. True

3. Depends upon what you consider low. My car consistently gives me 10km/l in bangalore traffic and I have a very heavy foot. I'm sure in a place with less traffic it'll be much more. Under ideal conditions, FE for this 2 ltr engine is unbelievable. I just came back from a night highway run of 180km and the fuel indicator shows roughly 1/4th of the tank empty (50L tank).

4. Funny thing is my car has a turning radius of 4.9m vs 5.1m of the swift .

5. One can access the boot from the passenger cabin.

All I'd say is go test drive a Cedia/Skoda RS/Fiesta 1.6 once... Just to get the feel of a good handling Sedan.

If you love the safari, just get it. Its an awesome truck to own. I completely love it.



Show me one hatch which is faster than a Skoda RS :P. The only fast hatch I can think of is the Getz CRDi. The rest of your points, I've already answered above.
There are so many other hatches faster than skoda RS in other countries.So no point of asking this question only because there is no faster hatches here.
If someone has family then sedan is better because it is more safer.It is all depends on the person and how he want to use the car.If someone can use the carrier on the top then hatch is also good.
jerish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate GTO The Indian Car Scene 644 23rd October 2017 23:03
Which Bullet to buy?.. or should actually I buy one? EDIT its TBTS schitre05 Motorbikes 149 13th August 2015 15:54
Why should one buy a 4WD (4X4 system)/ AWD as against a 4x2? Animesh SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 130 26th April 2012 01:23
Why should someone buy a Honda-CR-V/soft-roader in India ? mithun The Indian Car Scene 45 18th October 2006 12:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks