Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 4th March 2008, 22:40   #1
BHPian

Default buying used lancer - help needed

after months of search i got a used lancer according to my expectations.

its an 1999 model , GLXd, metallic silver, lancer. with stock accessories.

tyres: good
interior : good
suspension , engine, gearbox : good
body line , originality : good
paint is good, though its overcoated. it looks like original (dupont)

i drove the vehicle and my mechanic too drove in potholes and bends etc. and he found satisfied with engine, gearbox performance. me too ok. AC was good.

but the ODO is 399000 kms. its been ovehauled at 3 lakhs it seems. and the engine looks and feels like new. so they must have rebuilded the engine, else the performance wont be like this at this 4 lakh kms.

price offered for 3.2 lakhs, but we offerd 2.9 lakhs. since its single owner and its good piece. because in four months of search i never came across a lancer of 99 model below 3.2 lakhs, that too not upto the mark. Is it worth?
rajivanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 10:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

According to Carwale, a Dec '99 GLXD with 399000 on the odo should cost between 2.13 and 2.38.
The linky
CarValue | My Valuations | CarWale CarValue - CarWale.com India
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 10:20   #3
BANNED

price is too high man dont buy it . current price of 99 model lancer in excellent condition is around 2.10 lakh.if you are not a lancer fan and are concerned about your pocket dont go for it.
i am saying this because earlier i also wanted to buy second hand lancer , so i talked to many , very few suggested to buy it.
harry2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 10:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

RAJIV
if u saw this car in coimbatore be rest assured that this price is "fair" by coimbatore standards...

ppl in cbe are kind of passionate about their cars and hence quote astronomical prices for their cars - but also be aware that u get some of the BEST MAINTAINED cars from this town! - i have seen beautifully maintained OHCs in cbe which are from the first generation ( type 1 )...

but the point is do u really want to pay extra for the "coimbatore " tag ??
i think NO..
go to chennai and u can get cars at much lower than this - only thing u need to see more cars and u can get a more recent model

it REALLY does not make sense to buy a nearly 10 yr old car used...
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 10:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wayy toooo expensive Buddy !!!

A diesel lancer / 9 yr old one for 3 lacs + !!!

The car is no longer in production I think , it stopped ages back. A good mantained Lancer Diesel here in Agra Delhi has no takers even for less than 2 lacs.

Why not go for a Accent CRDi for around the same price. Much better I feel.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 10:56   #6
BHPian

Have you gone nuts i have a 100 times better lancer than this fully loaded with every thing and i dont expect i will get more than 1.5 -1.8 lacks if i sell it so i just kept it
as a second car .

4 lacks KM is hell lot do not pay anything more than 2 lacks good he didnt accept your offer other wise it was money thrown down the drain

Just a few days back i saw a wonder full lancer Black at a used car dealer fitted with Cng and every other possible thing 2001 model asking price was 235000 and he would have given it for may be a little less

And at 4 lacks it would be a taxi or used like one so stay away its a no no no
rubin2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 11:01   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Please do NOT buy a used diesel that has covered 4 lac kms! In that price, you could easily manage a used City / Lancer / Baleno that has covered 1/4 (or less) that kind of running. I am sure there are other options within diesel cars too.

A diesel lancer at 4 lac kms is at the end of its life. Avoid it like a plague.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 11:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

No buddie never,Almost 10 yrs old and this price is never justifiable.Go for a newer version from kerela for a lesser price.Kerela and coimbatore wont be an issue regarding the regn and the police affairs connected to that.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 11:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Agree with the others. 3+ is way too expensive for a 99 model that has done close to 4 lac kms. Plus it's a diesel.
Would suggest you look around for a better deal.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 11:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
RAJIV
if u saw this car in coimbatore be rest assured that this price is "fair" by coimbatore standards...

ppl in cbe are kind of passionate about their cars and hence quote astronomical prices for their cars - but also be aware that u get some of the BEST MAINTAINED cars from this town! - i have seen beautifully maintained OHCs in cbe which are from the first generation ( type 1 )...

i think NO..
go to chennai and u can get cars at much lower than this - only thing u need to see more cars and u can get a more recent model

Rightly said. N that too almost 4L Kms .. that's too much. The price quoted above 3+ lakhs ... Please avoid this car.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 11:38   #11
BHPian

HOW About Lancer 2000 model SLXI Petrol. he posted here Team-BHP Classifieds - mitsubishi lancer - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Modified, he says it gives 13.5 kmpl...( city,highway mixed) how much i can pay (if i wana buy) ...
deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 11:39   #12
BHPian

Dont go for it. 3+ for 1999 Lancer is expensive.
Why dont you try the OHC,Baleno.
If you want only diesel car then look for Accent CRDI.
smack_himanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 11:42   #13
BHPian

A 99 diesel Lancer with 4L km @ 3+ .. a big NO

buddy I picked up a 2003 GLi Petrol that had run for 60K for 3.1L
If you consider the running costs for buying a diesel lancer consider fitting CNG /LPG on petrol.

I seriously don't thing it would be a wise buy.

If your are really obsessed with buying a lancer like i was better hunt other cities.

Btw I don't understand whats the fuss is about "high resale value" in Coimbatore. Can someone please shed some light on this...
leadf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 11:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
RAJIV

i think NO..

The cars generally from the non-coastal area are better choice. In places like chennai etc, because of the coastal air with higher salt content the unpainted metal surfaces generally tend to get corroded/rusted. You will need to carefully inspect the cars with a history of being in the costal areas especially under door mats or in the engine bay etc. Sand deposite in engine intake systems unless the air filters have been replaced regularly could also result in issues with engines. The uncovered parts of cars electrical systems also tend to get affected over the period of time..

anywz back to the topic.
Rajiv,
Dont go for this car unless you are really fond of the lancer. It seems very overpriced . The main thing that worries me about this particular car is that it has already done 4 lac kms in the ODO. 3 lacs is just too much. For that price you could go in for later version , better maintained and lesser run lancers .
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 12:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
A 99 diesel Lancer with 4L km @ 3+ .. a big NO

buddy I picked up a 2003 GLi Petrol that had run for 60K for 3.1L
If you consider the running costs for buying a diesel lancer consider fitting CNG /LPG on petrol.

I seriously don't thing it would be a wise buy.

If your are really obsessed with buying a lancer like i was better hunt other cities.

Btw I don't understand whats the fuss is about "high resale value" in Coimbatore. Can someone please shed some light on this...

What he probably meant was comparison between vehicles in coastal and non-coastal regions.(coimbatore vs chennai).
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote