Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2008, 13:05   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Car upgrade

Hi Guys

I am a new BHP-ian and currently have a 2006 Santro Xing XO with only 4k+ on the odo.I am thinking of upgrading to a bigger preowned car. I am confused between a Petrol or Diesel (NHC and Scorpio). I have an offer of a 2004 NHC,with 40k on the odo for 5.2 lacs from First Choice. Please provide your inputs ,also what price can i expect for my Santro and would it be wise to sell it so early(depreciation wise).Appreciate your feedback!
Dude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 13:09   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
Rudra Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,404
Thanked: 4,092 Times
Default

Why don't you spend sime time on board reading various threads? You'll get a much better perspective.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 13:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude77
I am a new BHP-ian and currently have a 2006 Santro Xing XO with only 4k+ on the odo.I am thinking of upgrading to a bigger preowned car. I am confused between a Petrol or Diesel (NHC and Scorpio).
With just 4000kms in 2 years, you seem to be an occasional car user. And if the usage pattern is to be like this going forward also, diesel is anyway ruled out.

An upgrade is a good thing, but if I were you, I would stick to the new (atleast mileage-wise) Santro, instead of getting a used car. And maybe go for an upgrade later for a new sedan. And this is not just because of the depreciation-hit that you would be taking on selling the Santro.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 7th March 2008 at 14:00.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 14:59   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
With just 4000kms in 2 years, you seem to be an occasional car user. And if the usage pattern is to be like this going forward also, diesel is anyway ruled out.

An upgrade is a good thing, but if I were you, I would stick to the new (atleast mileage-wise) Santro, instead of getting a used car. And maybe go for an upgrade later for a new sedan. And this is not just because of the depreciation-hit that you would be taking on selling the Santro.
Thanks to budget Santro is 12k cheaper. You may hence take a light hit in resale coz of this.

Do check other threads about TBHPians who have a budget of 6-7lac. As supremeBaleno said go for a petrol.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 17:01   #5
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 788
Thanked: 320 Times
Default

40000km is a mileage when lot of things could need a replacement - tyres, suspension, clutch etc unless it has been very well maintained. Do take care to assess these factors when going for a used car.
As suggested, I too don't recommend a diesel for you. Some reliable cars you can look at in the used market are NHC, Baleno, Fiesta 1.6 etc.
dinu2506 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 17:14   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,798
Thanked: 745 Times
Default Re-think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude77 View Post
Hi Guys

I am a new BHP-ian and currently have a 2006 Santro Xing XO with only 4k+ on the odo. I am thinking of upgrading..........
You do not drive much. Why, exactly, do you need to upgrade? Are you in some business where image and prestige are important?
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 17:34   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,738
Thanked: 7,936 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You do not drive much. Why, exactly, do you need to upgrade? Are you in some business where image and prestige are important?
Exactly my thoughts. I doubt if you need an upgrade when you do mileage in 2 years that some of the tbhpian's do in a few days

Also, in resale market nobody will believe you drove only 4K in 2 years and resale value will be as per market standards. Better to stick to the same car for a year or two more and try putting some mileage on it to justify the resale when you actually sell it.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 17:45   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: pune
Posts: 1,239
Thanked: 515 Times
Default

Current usage pattern doesn't justify diesel vehicle.
If M-power/image is driving you to upgrade, then you can find many models in resale market. Check the vehicles with help of trusted source, if not by self. Past usage of vehicle will decide whether it's worth buying or it.
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 12:37   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Thumbs up Car upgrade

Guys

Thank you very much for your time and replies. I am an IT professional ,i think i will hold on to the Santro for at least another year,spruce it up a little (tubeless and alloys) and add a few thousand kms to the odo. Any suggestions on the tyres to go for?
Dude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 15:53   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude77
i think i will hold on to the Santro for at least another year,spruce it up a little (tubeless and alloys) and add a few thousand kms to the odo.
Now, that sounds sensible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude77
Any suggestions on the tyres to go for?
We have many tyre experts on the forum. A search for Santro+tyres should lead you to some good suggestions. You could also PM kpzen, iraghava etc for suggestions.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 16:01   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
ram_hyundai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calicut ,trisur
Posts: 2,019
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

If i were you i would have stuck with the santro for some more time.The resale of the santro would take a hit if you sell it now.Add more mileage on the santro and then sell it off.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Major ICE Upgrade in my Palio (EDIT: Car upgraded.) hydrashok In-Car Entertainment 352 13th April 2008 22:47
To upgrade or not to upgrade? Steeroid Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 22 20th June 2007 19:13
Time to upgrade my car audio amit_sound In-Car Entertainment 55 20th March 2006 10:57
Tire upgrade & Car Warranty srasania Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 3 13th March 2006 19:42
Upgrade to Mid Size Car within 6-7 from Indica Rahulk76 Hatchbacks 22 21st January 2006 07:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks