Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 10th March 2008, 17:03   #31
aks316

my advice also go for the chevy aveo..
Old 10th March 2008, 17:42   #32
BHPian

Default Go for Aveo - VFM

Aveo is ahead of its class.

it feels great while driving & NVH is so much taken care of that its absolutely silent inside... in fact insulation is better than OPTRA
ajnagpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 20:24   #33
BHPian

Default Addition to the initial post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by an10 View Post
Currently I own a 2002 Maruti Zen LX and want to upgrade to a bigger and better car.
1) I drive almost 1100-1200 KMs every month and add 3-4 outstation visits each of 700-800 KMS in a year. And yes I love driving and hence no chauffeur for me.

2) Budget – preferably 7.0 lacs – may go upto 7.5 lacs (will be extremely stretched)

3) Following are the priorities in the preference order
a. Low maintenance cost and ownership costs (including fuel cost)
b. Hassle free ownership experience – read friendly and trouble free after sales (possibly the car will be with me for 5-6 years)
c. Space (family of 4 adults and a kid)
d. Driving pleasure & driving convenience

I have short listed the
a) Aveo 1.6 Top end with ABS & Airbag: Should cost me 7.6 on road after the discounts. I have my doubts for Aveo because of
The gear box issue
The engine performance at low RMP
After sales service
Knee hitting the console
Question: Is Aveo’s engine and gear box too much of a problem? In my drive I could not figure that out since I drive a small car and anything would look better. And what about GM’s *** in Delhi?

b) Verna Xi: At 7 Lacs, it comes without Airbag, ABS and not even alloys. I am thinking to forget airbag and ABS and go for this. Xxi does not have anything special as extra besides the Alloys etc at around 90K more. I am not considering that.
Question: I have read that verna has a refined engine and a much better gear shift. Does it really make sense to go for this then the safety features (ABS, Airbag) on Aveo?

I have not considered the SX4 (I want a change), Honda City (Expensive for its price), Ford Fiesta (bad reputation of dealers and ***)

Please help !!!

First of all - thanks a ton to everybody for their suggestions and opinions. At this juncture, I want to add one more twist - I have test driven Honda City...and I think it is one hell of a car...most comfortable at the rear and the best engine and gear shift - the driving view is also best...now I am more confused....this car will cost me 7.8 lacs...and obviously has no airbag or ABS as known to all...the aveo at 7.6 has everything...and verna (Xi) at 7 has nothing...(not keen for verna XXi - I hate the cheap looking music systems they are providing)...

how do you rate honda city against the compitition....?? throw some more lights please....
an10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 21:18   #34
aks316

hi.. i got a call from GM autovikas today and there is a scheme going on the aveo that you pay 12500-/rs to them and all your service and maintenace will be taken care by gm it includes clutchparts, oil flters, engine oil etc and it doesnt include rubber parts, accidential parts and tyres and it is for 3yr/45000km.. i think its a pretty good deal.. so what say now are sure about buying the aveo..
Old 10th March 2008, 23:08   #35
aks316

haha... thats a good twist bro.. i have a honda city zx and its a excellent car for city driving but not for highway driving.. the steering is very light and its not for highspeed driving.. and as far as competiton goes no car till now has been able to beat honda city and the main reason is the honda badge on the front it has a huge fan following.. the negatives of honda city are light steering, lacks solid feel very light body, overpriced, no airbags abs, 77 bhp lacks punch, not for highspeed driving, brakes not good enough and the positives of the honda city are very smooth and refined engine, slick gearbox, resale value, fuel efficiency, comfort, space, looks, excellent quality interiors, snob value.. if you want a car mainly for city driving then there is no better car than honda city in the c segment but if you want a car which does everything good then go for the aveo.. aveo has equally good interiors, comfort, space, better looks and if you buy a aveo u get a 100bhp 1.6 engine which will be better in performance than the 77bhp idsi engine.. and aveo feels much more solid and the steering isnt as light as honda citys.. it has airbags abs and it has very good high speed stability.. brakes are very good too much better than the honda citys and also the ride quality is better than honda citys.. now where the aveo loses is on the gearbox, resale value and fuel efficiency which isnt as good as honda citys but aveo is low on maintenance.. overall aveo is better vfm than a honda city..
Old 10th March 2008, 23:11   #36
aks316

if you can go for honda city vtec then buy that it is the best car in the c segment but overpriced.. and right now they are giving airbags in the normal vtec model..
Old 11th March 2008, 00:03   #37
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
The only thing still bothering is the gear - which is not even as good as my 5 year old zen.
You would be asking for too much from car manufacturers to come up with a gearbox as good as the old ZEN or the best of all; the FIAT/Nissan 118NE gearbox. Those two gearboxes are a class apart so stop hoping to get something close to the old Zen gearbox. As far as getting something closely resembling the 118NE gearbox. Forget it.
Bye and wear your seat belts.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 13:12   #38
BHPian

Default Verna Xi

Quote:
First of all - thanks a ton to everybody for their suggestions and opinions. At this juncture, I want to add one more twist - I have test driven Honda City...and I think it is one hell of a car...most comfortable at the rear and the best engine and gear shift - the driving view is also best...now I am more confused....this car will cost me 7.8 lacs...and obviously has no airbag or ABS as known to all...the aveo at 7.6 has everything...and verna (Xi) at 7 has nothing...(not keen for verna XXi - I hate the cheap looking music systems they are providing)...

how do you rate honda city against the compitition....?? throw some more lights please....

Hi. If you are using it for driving mainly within city and can afford it, then the Honda City is definitely a good choice. And its only 20k more than the Aveo you have shortlisted!
I had driven the Aveo LS, the Fiesta and Verna when I was buying my car (about 7 months back) and settled for the Verna Xi. It is better than the Aveo LS in terms of pick-up, drivability, build etc and about the same price point. You are right that the Aveo gives you all the extras while the verna Xi only has the speakers.. no system, no airbags, no abs etc. In case you are deciding between Verna Xi and Aveo LS, you are choosing between the fully loaded Aveo and the "better driving experience" of the Verna. Of course, if you can push your budget for the CITY, you wouldnt regret it!
victor0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 13:28   #39
BHPian

Victor0012, you are confusing him.

The verna has 1.6 heart and Aveo LS has 1.4 heart.

The safety features are available only in Aveo LT - Option which is 1.6 heart.

If you compare Aveo LT with Verna Xi or XXi-ABS, then Aveo LT looks impressive with its Fresh appearance, class apart interiors and added airbags.
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 13:56   #40
aks316

the only reason i am tellin you not to go for honda city idsi is because the new honda city is coming in october and it will come only with the vtec engine and the idsi engine will do duty in the honda jazz.. so my advice if you going for honda city go for the vtec engine.. and ya if you still decide with the idsi engine you wont regret it its also a very good engine.. so make take is buy either aveo or honda city..
Old 11th March 2008, 14:16   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Aveo for exclusivity
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 14:26   #42
aks316

ya if you ask me too i will also say go for the aveo..
Old 11th March 2008, 19:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Aveo for exclusivity
true jk,havent seen much anywhere.lol.

Buddie go for the verna xxi.Ask the sales person to get you a better ICE in exchange for the existing one.I am sure you will regret when resale and A.S.S will be an issue later.

ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 22:34   #44
aks316

aftersales service is not a problem in delhi and the resale of aveo and verna will be more or less the same..
Old 12th March 2008, 17:04   #45
BHPian

Resale of Verna is better than compared to Aveo.
metropolis is offline   Reply With Quote