Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2008, 03:43   #1
BHPian

Default Budget upto 8 Lakhs On Road - What car?

I'm currently in US and will be moving to Bangalore by next week.

I'm planning to buy a sedan in Bangalore. Both me and my wife will drive. My wife is comfortable driving a Zen and have never driven big cars before.

Mostly 3 adults and a 5 year old travel in the car. At times, there could be 5 adults (not frequent. Only when my parents come to visit).

My Office is in Electronics city and I travel like 8 KM both ways (I stay close to office). So monthly running within Bangalore city will be less than 900 KMS. But I intend to travel to my hometown once in 6 weeks (1000KMs round trip) and few week end trips as well. So on average I guess I'll be driving 20000 KMs per annum. As I intend to do 40-50% highway driving, ABS/Airbag is a must in the car.

Expectations on Fuel Average: Atleast 10KMPL in city and 14 KMPL in highway. Anything higher is a bonus.

I've been reading the ownership reviews in TBHP for a long time now and have short listed a couple of cars. But now the Swift Dzire launch has confused me.

Here are my options:

My Choice: SX4 ZXI
Liked the looks of the car and from the reviews I'm very much interested in this car. I've almost decided on this because of its safety features, but now Dzire with similar features is tilting my decision.

Option2: Dzire ZDI/ZXI
Now after Dzire launch, some of my friends are asking me to go for DZire ZDI. With this option, My OTR price will be less than SX4 and can save on fuel as well. But my concern is the comfort level in Dzire ZDI for Highway drives when compared to SX4.

Option3: Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI
From the reviews in this forum, the car seems to be good. With new SXI there is driver side airbag as well (Only after SXi was launched with Airbags, I included this car in my option). But only thing holding me back on this option is FORD A.S.S in Bangalore. As I stay in Electronics city, Ford service center will be far from my house, where as Maruti service centers are close (Electronics City and RNS Hosur Road).

Another question on Diesel cars: I've never driven diesel before. So will it be hard for me to drive diesel after driving petrol cars so far? Also I might travel overseas frequently and will there be a problem in Diesel car if it is kept idle for couple of months when I'm not around?

Please help me in deciding between SX4 ZXI and Swift Dzire ZDI/ZXI. Which is the sensible option given my reuirements. Though Exel sheet calcutaions show benefit in DZire ZDI (My Friends and Famliy recommend to go for Diesel), I just couldn't get SX4 out of my mind.

On a side note, whenever I read the ownership reviews on Safari, I'm tempted to go for it. But it wouldn't be good option for me currently considering Bangalore traffic and also the version with Abs/Airbag will be OTR more than 10lakhs. But someday I wish to own one.

I know there have been so many similar threads here and I've been regularly reading them. I've been reading posts every day in TBHP since I joined. But when I really want to put my money to a car, I would like to get expert opinions from TBHP friends as well. Most of my friends suggest Diesel Dzire, please help me in convincing myself to go for SX4.

I'll be in Bangalore on April 7th and I'll take TD of both cars before booking. Before that would like to know your valuable opinion as well.

Old 30th March 2008, 07:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Since you desire people to use back seat more often than not, Dzire won't be a great option because the rear seat space is same as swift (which means it is quite bad). SX4 would be much better than Swift however from what I know, it gives less than 10 in city and 14 on highway.

If you can stretch your budget a bit, I would recommend that you at least test drive Cedia, NHC VTEC and Corolla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prskumar
Another question on Diesel cars: I've never driven diesel before. So will it be hard for me to drive diesel after driving petrol cars so far? Also I might travel overseas frequently and will there be a problem in Diesel car if it is kept idle for couple of months when I'm not around?
No issues on either front. Diesels are as easy to drive as petrols (minor changes to your driving style, there is another thread on tbhp about that).
Old 30th March 2008, 07:23   #3
BHPian

Plonking in considerable dough on a car means that you'd also consider the image-factor. Although the Dzire is surely bound to be a good car putting forth very good value for your money, the SX4 tips the scale in its favour on this front.

To make sure you remain confused, there's a diesel option in the Dzire - which means the SX4 is going to be significantly more expensive in the long run. The Dzire represents practicality. Just see if the SX4 still catches your fancy. It's purely subjective.

Long drive comfort of the Dzire viz-a-viz will probably be evaluated by someone who's driven both, in short time. This apart, it's my guess that Maruti distinguishes their two products primarily based on the image each one exudes. Which means that there's not much to distinguish them - you buy what you deem the best balance between budget and fancy.

Last edited by skandyhere : 30th March 2008 at 07:34.
Old 30th March 2008, 09:38   #4
Team-BHP Support

Moderator's note: these generic car queries have been discussed a multitude of times before. Please use the search function.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread