Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 3rd April 2008, 21:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Swift D it is! You can also show you dad some long term reviews here on team-bhp. Take him for a test drive also.

But if you desperately need a boot, then Dzire is better.

I would suggest both diesels. Forget CNG IMO.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 22:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Jus tinform us the below:
1) What will be your daily usage (no of kms)?
2) How many people will be travelling in your car?
3) Will you be going for any kind of trips?

It will make more sense to buy diesel if your usage is high. Otherwise, stick to petrol version with boot. It will do moere good than harm .Moreover, it is mroe refined than the hatch. They have taken out some of the niggling issues in the sedan.

Conversion of CNG is not recommended if your usage is not high. Moreover, if you fit the same outside A**, the warrnaty will be void. You also need to check whether the RTO has approved kits for newer models.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 04:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Between the two I would go for a regular Swift anyday. The Dzire is nothing but a Swift with a boot attached to its butt which makes it look ugly and spoils the beautiful design of the Swift. I understand what segment the Dzire is targeting but to me it doesn't make sense at all. Some people consider a sedan more prestigious than a hatch and might consider the Dzire a step up from the Swift, but cmon who are we kidding? Its just a Swift with a boot strapped on. How often are you really going to be using the boot and filling it up with luggage?

Since you are concerned about FE Id advice you to get the Swift D in which case you wont have to go through the hassle of CNG and will be able to use the entire boot.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 06:36   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

yaar dekho, firstly, as someone who has a Xeta CNG and Alto CNG in the family, I can assure you that most natak nakhras are completely irrelevant.

Warranty is also taken "care" by dealers like Apra/Marketing times. Which explains ALL the WagonRs running on CNG.

That being said, post CNG, swift ka driving experience would be lesser. Running cost ka difference would basically be 1Rs/km. Koshun really then becomes your choice.

Boot space and much better driving experience vs cost efficiency.

But if the Swift takes CNG anyways like Xeta 1.4 does, then you will have zero driving issues in city. Alto mein low end torque takes the hit but the car really revs well and except pushing off in 1st gear, the alto is okay. Xeta feels just like normal. Ofc, it still wont hold a candle to the multijet

Plus CNG is a more future proof fuel in prices unlike diesel
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 06:40   #20
BHPian

If the car is meant for self driving Swift D is the choice. Go for the LDI and you have a choice of fitting power windows outside. Power windows, central locking,buzzer for keys left inside the car, 12V socket and a few cups and holders is what you get in the VDI for 40K more. Your insurance and road tax also becomes slightly more apart from the 40K extra.

IMO if you need all these features then go for the VDI (but remember there is no airbags in VDI unlike the SWIFT ZXI- petrol).

If the car is to be chauffeur driven then you may consider the Dzire;However neither SWIFT nor the Dzire are known for there back seat comfort in terms of leg room and shoulder space
Gautam Misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 14:46   #21
BHPian

thanks for your all yours thoughts, much appreciated!

A few details:

1)As for now my office would be in Gurgaon(~80km updown) which i'l join in July but they've recently opened a new office in NOIDA itself so getting a transfer would be an option but thats for later, cant really push them being a fresher.

2)I'l be the driver and might be joined by a friend for work.Car-pooling is not yet thought off.

3)Boot is not a necessity as getaways would be few.

I think i've ruled out Dzire for now..

Now its more like Lxi vs Ldi..I am more skewed towards Ldi but Lxi is like 75k cheaper!

As for CNG i already have a CNG-Esteem in the family, so know about the performance drawbacks!..but that'll come in later..
Monaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 15:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yup Swift D will be perfect for you. But i would suggest you to go for VDI in stead of Ldi.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 15:52   #23
BHPian

Thumbs up Swift Ldi Vs. Lxi

Great, so now your choice is narrowed down.
There is a 75K difference so just work out your travelling expenses to reach the break even point after which you will start saving if you buy a diesel.

Do this by taking 80 kms everyday. Then the difference in effeciency and the prices of petrol and diesel. Then reach the break-even point. When diesel is 75K less than petrol. And see how long has it taken. Make your decision based on that and how long you intend on keeping the car.

That's it. You have now decided which car to buy and can start haggling with the dealers for better prices and freebies
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 17:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
If the car is to be chauffeur driven then you may consider the Dzire;However neither SWIFT nor the Dzire are known for there back seat comfort in terms of leg room and shoulder space
The Swift and the Dzire have the exact same wheelbase and width so I dont see how a Dzire would be more comfortable at the back.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 17:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Its like whether you want to be known as an owner of a premium hatch or an entry level hatch.And ofcourse do you need a boot too.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 18:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

As you are driving around 80 kms/day, it is advisible to go in for Diesel rather than Petrol version. So, Ldi is the choice you really need to consider.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 18:14   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

boss, at those kms, only the CNG makes sense. And on petrol mode, its still FUN

plus you must realize that forget after a year/two requesting a shift to noida is far off - you might leave the company in month 1 itself.

and does it have decent parking?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 22:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Mind if i "Butt" in.Actually from a safety point of view i would say the dzire is a better buy than the swift or any other hatch.Have you guys ever noticed how close the rear occupants are to the outside.God forbid such things but imagine someone in a hatch back getting hit from behind by a larger vehicle.Don't you thing having a little bigger "rear" might help cushion the collision to a certain extent.I for one who drive's a 800 worry about my passengers sitting at the back.
My advice is....if safety is one your concerns get the car with the bigger "Butt".
sumeethaldankar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 22:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
Power windows, central locking,buzzer for keys left inside the car, 12V socket and a few cups and holders is what you get in the VDI for 40K more. Your insurance and road tax also becomes slightly more apart from the 40K extra.
Gautam, you missed the most important difference. The TACHO. Its real fun watching the tacho needle dance in the VDi.

If it is daily travel of 80km, then it has to be a diesel. Be it Dzire or Swift.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 09:05   #30
BHPian

There is a point in what he is saying
Gautam Misra is offline   Reply With Quote