Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 7th April 2008, 18:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Given that you already have a Palio 1.6 GTX to attack corner, have fun around the corners, Magnum would be a logical second car. Its more luxurious, has better ride and it will kill the Cedia in a straightline and the best part is its a diesel. Also, In india GM is a better bet than Mitsubishi with HM's horrible dealer network and overpriced spares. All things considered Magnum is a better bet overall.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 18:37   #17
BHPian

i would recommend you get the optra magnum LT because it has ABS, :
1. more power
2. diesel, good FE. + 2DIN system as well.
3. spares are now almost as par with both the cars. mitsu. spares' prices have gone down a lot now. cedias front doors were 20K a piece earlier, its 10K now. outside rear view mirror the whole thing was 5K its 1.5K now.
anyhow spares should not be the deciding factor getting what car.
4. handling - cedia beats the magnum flat out, but still, do you always want to take turns @ 100k's?? i think no. there is a daily drive aspect.
5. comfort - both are good, but the magnum is better on long drives, front and back seats in the cedia have little thigh support, it hurts after a while.
6. get the magnum the top trim, the day you get bored with it, pete it.

by the way, i don't have anything against mitsubishi, you might think, i own a cedia.
even if you go for the cedia, you won't regret it, its a great car. there is no wrong choice here. take your pick.
if you want the magnum get the LT only. if the cedia any trim you like.
blue2ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 19:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend the Cedia Sports ( Fantastic !! ).

Else if you are looking at this budget - why not the Honda City Vtec ( With ABS, AIRBAGS, LEATHER ). Good performer, and very good resale ( I know you are not concerned But why not ? ). Cheers !!
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 21:22   #19
BHPian

@vkochar - honda is a good car, but the optra and cedia are in a higher segment, good lookers as well.
blue2ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 13:21   #20
BHPian

Default RE: magnum TD

@Shuvd:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
@ Maven - The sales rep is a %$#@. But, whats new eh?
Why don't you TD a Magnum and see how it feels? I'm getting better tires this week. That should improve matters a great deal as the stock Goodyears are CRAP! Will keep you updated.
i did the test drive, shiva motors sent an the magnum LS. what i felt was that:
- steering isnt as responsive at higher speeds. even normally it seems a little "aloof"
- my GTX brakes better than the LS. i am surprised at this one though
- while taking a U-turn which was a bumpy patch, the bottom rubbed against a small hump of mud. not very comforting.
- the vehicle had apollo accelere's. when i asked the guy if these are the tyres the car comes with, he said "yes" !

now thats the second incorrect detail so far that has been thrown at me. first was the AWD. may be if ask more questions some more are in store.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 13:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Apollo Accelere is actually a pretty decent tyre for the price. So it shouldn't be taken in the negative.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 13:51   #22
BHPian

@ROC:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Apollo Accelere is actually a pretty decent tyre for the price. So it shouldn't be taken in the negative.
oh yes i agree. i have accelere sports on my GTX. they are tough tyres. "Shuvd" mentioned in his post that the magnum stock tyres are GY's.what i was saying is that when i looked at the tyres of the TD vehicle they were accelere's. i asked the GM rep if the accelere's are the stock tyres he said "yes". so that again seems to be incorrect.
Old 8th April 2008, 13:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
@Shuvd:

i did the test drive, shiva motors sent an the magnum LS. what i felt was that:
- steering isnt as responsive at higher speeds. even normally it seems a little "aloof"
- my GTX brakes better than the LS. i am surprised at this one though
- while taking a U-turn which was a bumpy patch, the bottom rubbed against a small hump of mud. not very comforting.
- the vehicle had apollo accelere's. when i asked the guy if these are the tyres the car comes with, he said "yes" !

now thats the second incorrect detail so far that has been thrown at me. first was the AWD. may be if ask more questions some more are in store.
You shouldnt complain regarding the second wrong info from the sales guy.This is because cars may come in more than one brand according to the availablity at the manufacturers point.So some may come with appolo and some in other brands.
AWD is surely a blunder and wonder why this chap said it in first place.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 14:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

I have seen Magnums with only Goodyears. But its possible that they come with Aceleres now since the Chevy Spark and recent batch of Aveos have started coming with Aceleres.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 15:08   #25
BHPian

hi,

Just go for the cedia with your eyes closed. here in bangalore the gm service is really bad to start with, so that kind of rules them out stright away. but the way i look at it, if your other car is a fiat gtx, then you will love the cedia. power and performance is great, but what really sets it apart is the handling and suspension, absolutly super.
mav2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 16:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

@ Maven - The steering DOES feel "springy". Can't comment on the brakes as I've not done any amount of hard braking on the GTX. Wrt the mud hump, any car could bottom out at certain angels. That said, I've driven the Magnum over some pretty rotten stretches and faed any problems. Manufacturers can have tie up with different tyre companies. E.g. previously Octys used to come with Michs, Goodyears and Bridgestones.
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 15:39   #27
BHPian

Default RE: Finalized !

i was going through a Magnum post which mentions an oil sump issue with the design of the car. coming from my experience of the GTX, where i somehow went in for lower profile tyres and as a result now need to be extra careful over rough patches and speedbreakers with the car usually scrapping the bottom unless i am not, i cant live with two cars with low GC.
Also, shiva motors hasnt responded at all with a formal quote even though i called them up thrice in the last 3 days.

i was almost decided on the Cedia thanks to the responses from the group and the last nudge was provided by the oil sump post.

Would be booking Red Cedia Sports with excel motors delhi sometime in the next two weeks.

Is there anything else that i need to negotiate apart from the 3rd year extended warranty whilst doing the booking?

Should i change tyres or are the stock tyres decent enough?
Old 9th April 2008, 15:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Stock tyres are noisy and hard. You are better off with michelins or yokos.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 16:25   #29
BHPian

Does magnum have disc for all wheels? Well, then I think the magnum rep was reffering this as AWD (All Wheel Disc!!!). . But he still deserves a kick on hi ***. BTW nice choice, a red Cedia Sports. You are going to enjoy the drives and roads.
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 16:28   #30
BHPian

Hi Maven,

Good choice. Cedia will not let you down (Keeping in mind that u r coming from palio). I recently purchased Cedia Sports and i am very happy with it. I had considered Optra Magnum for some time but dropped it finally

One major feature of Cedia that i like to mention is its turning radius. I feel that it is because of the turning radius i am able to drive the car in city & park it comfortably.

Visu03
visu03 is offline   Reply With Quote