Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 3rd May 2008, 22:34   #16
BHPian

Had the test drive of the Laura. Liked the built quality of that car. the "click" of the door when shut is just amazing and proves the quality of that car. but didnt like the rear seating position, its more comfortable than the Octavia but not as good as a 15 lakh car shuld feel. The leg support isnt good.

the dealer said that black isnt available in the Ambiente. why is that they cant provide Black in tha Ambiente?

Sonata test drive is on monday.
Klaus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 00:00   #17
BHPian

had the test drive of the sonata but we have decided to go for the Laura its resale value.
thanks for all the help guys. tc
Old 7th May 2008, 02:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

could you tell us how was the drive in the Sonata. Is resale the only reason you didnt want to go for the Sonata ?
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 09:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Klaus Good decision. Laura was always a better buy . Skoda just needs to improve its A** and rear legroom. Anyways Congrats. How much is the Ambiente version OTR?
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 13:15   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Can you provide your impressions of the Sonata? Like the positives and the negatives, in comparision with the Laura? And was the resale value your only reason to choose the Skoda over the Hyundai, or were there other reasons too? Would appreciate if you could take time out to answer these questions. Thanks.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 13:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

I would go with the Laura. WIth the recent low variants being offered, I feel it is really VFM now this side of 15 lacs.

Sonata is a good car except the interiors.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 14:42   #22
BHPian

its only the resale.
sonata drive was good. the back seats were more comfortable and more roomy. i didnt like the plastic look in the interiors of the sonata.
the car didnt feel that good like the laura
Old 7th May 2008, 14:54   #23
BHPian

Why dont you try Optra Magnum.
Top model on road would be between 11 - 12 lakhs.
Good engine, nice interiors, has ABS and airbags.
Till 31st May 2008 , Chevrolet is having that 3 year or 45000 Kms offer.
Do check it out.
smack_himanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 16:20   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack_himanshu View Post
Why dont you try Optra Magnum.
Top model on road would be between 11 - 12 lakhs.
Good engine, nice interiors, has ABS and airbags.
Till 31st May 2008 , Chevrolet is having that 3 year or 45000 Kms offer.
Do check it out.
Klaus has already made the decision, smack.
Old 7th May 2008, 17:01   #25
BHPian

Sonata Embera with much Power VGT Engine and superb torque complimented by 6 speed manual Transmission. If you want Performance and Space Sonata VGT is the key. But you wont get a good resale value for Sonata. I heard that Sonata have much better brakes too than laura. But in terms of performance i will put my money on Sonata + Petes haha
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 14:40   #26
BHPian

Default Sonata, Laura, Octavia or Magnum

Seen many threads related to these cars but no clear conclusion on which car to buy.

I am just confused on which to go for and will select the car which gets maximum votes.

I am looking for a car which is safer, fuel efficient, Average Maintainance costs and which improves my satus.

I figured out 4 Diesel cars ... On road pricing in Hyd

Sonata CRDi AT - around 17L (11 KMPL )
Laura Elegance - 16.6L ( 13 KMPL )
Octavia Elegance 1.9TD - 13.55 L ( 16 KMPL )
Optra Magnum LT - 11.4L ( 13 KMPL )

Can you all please vote and help me select the best car.

Note to Mods : I will be pleased if mods can add poll to this as i dont have a option to add.
students is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 20:26   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by students View Post
Sonata CRDi AT - around 17L (11 KMPL )
Laura Elegance - 16.6L ( 13 KMPL )
Octavia Elegance 1.9TD - 13.55 L ( 16 KMPL )
Optra Magnum LT - 11.4L ( 13 KMPL )
Skoda - Maintenance is expensive, the Laura has never been a reliable car and Octy is an old car now. A$$ is also bad. I suggest you stay away.

Optra Magnum - Well, everyone will know it's a class lower, so your status improvement requirement might not exactly be fulfilled here. But as of this moment, the Magnum is the best buy simply because :-

(i) even the top end model is easily within your reach after looking at the cars you have listed. You'll save bags of money, maybe you can spend a fraction of it on a Pete or some other modifications and make it a perfect car according to your tastes.

(ii) this is the most important point in favour of the Chevrolet Optra. Just look up the Three Years Cashless Ownership Offer being offered right now and you'll know why it's the best time to buy a Chevy. The cars are reliable, inexpensive to maintain and run, spares are quite cheap, and quality is good. Chevy is trying hard to please its customers and coming up with really good products. Offer runs till 31st May AFAIK.

Sonata Embera - If you're looking for a class above the Optra, then this is the car to buy. The ONLY downsides to this highly capable, cheap-to-run/maintain and comfortable car is (i) Resale Value, and (ii) Image. Now I think it looks fantastic but people beg to differ so this is purely upto your POV. If you plan to keep the car for five years or more, I guess the resale dip wont be so bad but if you're going to sell your car in 2/3 years, do NOT look at this car. Since they're not selling too well you can get massive discounts and freebies on the car, especially since you mentioned you want the A/T.

I've put forward three lines of thought. You have to pick one of them and move ahead, rather than compare the three. When you read, you'll immediately know whats right for you as you know exactly what you want and what you dont, in your car.

Hope I've helped.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 9th May 2008 at 20:30.
Old 10th May 2008, 11:16   #28
BHPian

I would have bought a Sonata Embera CRDI by now but for vitamin M - its clearly a niche above all the cars you have listed. Neglect the snob value perception (In India, we havent seen the best of cars avl around the world) and poor resale (hold it for 5+ yrs and sell it to me when your book value is almost NIL)...
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 20:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cediafan View Post
As I said earlier, the new technology diesel engines are far superior than the earlier ones and not as high maintanance as the earlier ones.

But it is said that old lancer diesel engine, which is non-turbo non-crdi is more reliable and requires less maintenance than CRdi engines. Lancer engines are said to have lasted even upward of 4 lakh KMs whereas many Accent CRDi engines are said to be giving problems around 1 lakh KMs. I am neither a fan of lancer diesel nor a critic of Accent but this is what is generally said. Of course, Accent CRDi is way faster than Lancer as was shown in ther ads.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 20:45   #30
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Well, for one petrol is much more refined than deisel (the reason why petrol costs more)
on the contrary-diesel is slightly costlier than petrol all over the world. our highly intelligent and logical govt taxes petrol more,therefore its costlier.

Quote:
You would notice that deisel engine require more servicing than petrol engines. As I said earlier, the new technology deisel engines are far superior than the earlier ones and not as high maintanance as the earlier ones.
actually, I have not noticed that yet. does diesel require more service? service intervals are 10,000kms. what is it for petrol?
the answer to diesel doubts is in the second line of the quoted text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
try the optra magnum lt top end very very comfy and powerful
wonder why this car does not sell well! it looks good, goes like a rocket, is cheap to maintain, I just dont get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Skoda - Maintenance is expensive, the Laura has never been a reliable car and Octy is an old car now. A$$ is also bad. I suggest you stay away.

Optra Magnum - Well, everyone will know it's a class lower, so your status improvement requirement might not exactly be fulfilled here. But as of this moment, the Magnum is the best buy simply because :-

(i) even the top end model is easily within your reach after looking at the cars you have listed. You'll save bags of money, maybe you can spend a fraction of it on a Pete or some other modifications and make it a perfect car according to your tastes.

(ii) this is the most important point in favour of the Chevrolet Optra. Just look up the Three Years Cashless Ownership Offer being offered right now and you'll know why it's the best time to buy a Chevy. The cars are reliable, inexpensive to maintain and run, spares are quite cheap, and quality is good. Chevy is trying hard to please its customers and coming up with really good products. Offer runs till 31st May AFAIK.

Sonata Embera - If you're looking for a class above the Optra, then this is the car to buy. The ONLY downsides to this highly capable, cheap-to-run/maintain and comfortable car is (i) Resale Value, and (ii) Image. Now I think it looks fantastic but people beg to differ so this is purely upto your POV. If you plan to keep the car for five years or more, I guess the resale dip wont be so bad but if you're going to sell your car in 2/3 years, do NOT look at this car. Since they're not selling too well you can get massive discounts and freebies on the car, especially since you mentioned you want the A/T.

I've put forward three lines of thought. You have to pick one of them and move ahead, rather than compare the three. When you read, you'll immediately know whats right for you as you know exactly what you want and what you dont, in your car.

Hope I've helped.
best advice so far IMO, it makes economic sense to get the optra and mod it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
But it is said that old lancer diesel engine, which is non-turbo non-crdi is more reliable and requires less maintenance than CRdi engines. Lancer engines are said to have lasted even upward of 4 lakh KMs whereas many Accent CRDi engines are said to be giving problems around 1 lakh KMs. I am neither a fan of lancer diesel nor a critic of Accent but this is what is generally said. Of course, Accent CRDi is way faster than Lancer as was shown in ther ads.
the accent CRDI if maintained properly will run 1 lakh easily. it needs no extra maintenance, just do what the manufacturers tell you to do and you're set. the non-turbo diesel lancer is a tortoise, but its engine can take a lot of abuse and crappy maintenance.

Last edited by rippergeo : 10th May 2008 at 20:46.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote