Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 18th May 2008, 22:38   #1
BHPian

Default Sonata at 15.4L OTR .. Should i go for it ?

Local dealers in hyderabad told me that sonata CRDi price is reduced to 15.4 L.

Should i buy it or go for Optra magnum at 11.4L OTR.
students is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 07:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

provide more details on your requirements. refer to 'what car' posting guidelines.
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 07:49   #3
BHPian

Search for embera and you will find a good amount of discussion around the product - pros and cons - the new scheme etc,,,
rangaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 09:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sonata CRDi is a very good and huge luxury sedan. 15.4 is a very good price. BUT keep in mind that the resale is the worst in its category. Also Interiors looks a bit outdated. Comfort / Space / Performance wise it will rock.

My advise - Why not the Laura Ambiente as it will be around your budget, in fact lower possibly.

Optra Magnum - Yes, good car, better resale probably than the Sonata Embera.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 09:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Embera Crdi is an awesome car. But the interiors dont live up to the price. The resale is surely not gonna be good. There has been some news about Minor facelift for the Embera. Expect better interiors if there is a facelift. I would advise you to stay away from the Embera and opt for the Laura. There is no concrete info about Embera minor facelift.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 10:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by students View Post
Local dealers in hyderabad told me that sonata CRDi price is reduced to 15.4 L.

Should i buy it or go for Optra magnum at 11.4L OTR.

First of all define your basic requirements. Wheather its petrol or diesel what you need ?
If its diesel, then you have Laura and Sonata Crdi from which you can decide.
Laura:
Great ride and handling, great gearbox, good fuel effeciency, good space, excellent build quality, best resale in the three compared.
Sonata:
excellent space, service ( after sales and service network also counts ),
better performance.

Optra Magnum:
Least cost in the three, great motor, good resale.

In case of Sonata, the interiors will make you feel miserable. There was a facelift in US, but dont know wheather it will make it to India.

Laura seems to be the optimal choice. You have listed 15.4Lakh Sonata CRdi, so you can definately afford either Laura or Optra.
Sonata, if facelifted, then the already low resale will drop further.
Laura seems to be the optimal car and it has everything you could have asked for from a car at that price point. The build quality is good, Fuel effeciency is also good, ride and handling are excellent.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 12:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

the discounts and lower initial costs(compared to cars in its segment) are all eaten up by the poor resale value of the Sonata. You did be happier buying a Magnum in the long run.

Last edited by dipen : 19th May 2008 at 12:51.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 12:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nothing wrong with the car IMHO. Sonata is in a upper segment than Magnum. If not concerned about poorer resale vals (than Accord or Camry), then it is a good buy.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 13:40   #9
BHPian

Sonata Embera is a very better and good choice over Laura I can boldly say. We have both Laura Elegance and Sonata Embera 2.4 VTT in our family, the Sonata is miles ahead in terms of performance and road handling characteristics.

Laura is prone to electronic problems. My brother's Laura has a dead Cruise Control, AC shut with no cause, tyres bulged on the side walls and Parking sensors acting crazy, all this within 4,000Kms!

You will have hassle-free ownership XP with Sonata Embera, service interval is 10,000Kms.

Laura's first service is at 7,500kms but am not sure about successive service intervals.

About resale value, yeah the Sonata VTT is quite low but I think the CRDi will hold a good value.

May I add, Laura has a very stiff ride, it feels so scary to drive on the highways compared to the more manouverable Sonata.
vittalnrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 14:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Can someone enlighten further as to whether Laura is better than Sonata in terms of tangibles, rather than intangibles (feel, see) or mag. opinion.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 14:02   #11
Team-BHP Support

Embera CRDi is an excellent car with a very luxury feel to it. But, like many said the interiors aren't very contemparory and its re-sale value is possibly non-existent. If you have that kind of a budget, you should look at Laura as its a fantastic car from almost all aspects.

Optra Magnum is also a good car ( Its power specs are mind-boggling) but other than that it is again an ordinary looker ( IMO) and resale may not be really good.

Decide what are your priorities, how many years you want to keep the car and then hone down on your car.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 14:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post

May I add, Laura has a very stiff ride, it feels so scary to drive on the highways compared to the more manouverable Sonata.
Just curious...why does a stiff ride make it scary on the highway? shouldn't this actually impart the car with better handling? Or do you mean that the stiffness gives it a bad ride over broken surfaces?
viper_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 11:55   #13
BHPian

I was offered 1L discount on embra, but that was petrol. Still there was some discount on crdi also.

Though don't think sonata was selling well, they told me I have to book it with full payment and then they would get the car as they had not even a single car with them.
CR-V is offline   Reply With Quote