Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 2nd November 2008, 02:18   #76
Team-BHP Support

Congrats. Do post a long term ownership report.

Mods: Time to edit the title ?
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 03:07   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
Go for either the New Accord or the Passat . Both are wonderful cars . The passat might be a bit over your budget but worth considering for that German Engineering and DSG . Or if you want a SUV ,nothing comes close to CR-V .
Disagree, buddy. I've driven both the CR-V and the Chevy Captiva on long drives. The Captiva felt so much better. More torquey, handled equally well, braked better, was very refined and had virtually no diesel clatter, and it's substantially cheaper than the CR-V. I also think it looks far, far better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
Look no further . The Honda Accord is the best package offered now . I think it wont be be discontinued soon . Since you are not worried about resale and FE you don't have to keep in mind these factors .
Agree completely. The Accord has been, for generations, a very complete and practical car. It has everything you need. I drove my friend's 2005 Accord from Bombay to Kashid in rainy weather on twisty roads, and while the car didn't thrill me, it behaved itself very well indeed.
I myself owned one, but not the sedan, the coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Actually it isn't. Having ripped both, I can tell you that the new Accord is lesser driver-oriented than the previous gen. The '08 is not sloppy, but its not what you would call an enthusiasts car either.

Still, a fantastic sedan for the price that Honda is selling it at.
Pity to hear that it's less of a drivers car (haven't driven the newest one), but not surprised. It's definitely larger than it's predecessor, and looks like a car that doesn't want to be driven spiritedly.
Don't agree with you about the price, though. My blood pressure goes through the roof when I think of what they charge for cars in this country. I drove a 3.0L V6 Accord coupe that was fitted with all the bells and whistles in the US (just got back a couple of months ago), and you can pick one of those up brand new for less than $25,000. That's 12.5L at today's conversion rates for a car that's more expensive than the sedan version.

Considering that the Accord is manufactured locally here in India, import duties shouldn't apply, right? Where do they get off charging these prices, considering cost of production is lower in India than it is in the US???

I realize that its the same story with all manufacturers in India, even those that manufacture their products here, and that when you said its a fantastic car at the price, you meant it in the Indian context.
So not really disagreeing with you, per se, merely venting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambono5 View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys. This forum is fantastically active. I finally went ahead and bought a black Honda Accord AT. Took the base model and added all the chrome stuff (turned out to be cheaper than going for elegance or inspire). This way I also managed to minimize the wood. Fitted it with Xenons. And it drives and feels great. Will post pictures soon.
Congratulations. I think you made the right choice. Pics, please!!!

Last edited by ghostrider : 2nd November 2008 at 03:20.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 22:56   #78
BHPian

Congrats rambono! The Accord was a neat choice. Do write about your ownership experience. And the pics please.
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 17:15   #79
BHPian

Question Which car to buy for 20 lakhs?

My mama is wanting to change his car. He has a Verna and an Esteem. He plans to sell off the Esteem and buy a new vehicle. The parameters are:
  1. Budget Rs 20 lakh - give or take 2 lakh
  2. High style quotient
  3. Low cost of running (ownership)
  4. He plans to do some long drives (5000 km plus), the vehicle should be comfortable for such drives.
  5. Self driven. He never keeps a driver.
He has been vascillating between used Mercs from Consulates in New Delhi and SUVs/soft roaders like CRV. Toyota Fortuner is a good bet I guess but he does not have the patience to wait. And if I am correct, it is expensive as well.

He is based in Jaipur. Am not sure a self driven Camary or Accord will be a good idea given the Jaipur traffic. He drives a lots. Did 70000 km in 2 yrs on his Verna.

He is swaying towards an SUV but not sure which one.

Please help!
dushmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 17:26   #80
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Fortuner. Ask your uncle to do another 30k kms on the Verna until then. If you're willing to put up with un-toyota like service, then the Captiva seems interesting.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 17:35   #81
BHPian

Sounds like he wants a Fortuner. Its around 22 ex showroom. and add 50 grand or so as premium if you dont want to wait for a long tiime.
akshaymahajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 17:39   #82
Team-BHP Support

The best buy for a highway cruiser is the Chevrolet Captiva. Within 20L and a good diesel engine. Car like highway road manners and very comfy.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 17:44   #83
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Sounds like he wants a Fortuner. Its around 22 ex showroom. and add 50 grand or so as premium if you dont want to wait for a long tiime.
fortuner is 18.45 ex-showroom delhi.
bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 17:54   #84
BHPian

An SUV will be higher on the style quotient. A sedan will be more comfortable especially for long distance drives, any day.

Your choices, given your budget. with a tolerance of say +- 10% :

SUVs : Captiva. CRV. Fortuner, used Montero, used X Trail
Sedans : Accord, Jetta 1.9 TDI, used Passat, used E Class, used Camry, used Teana

The final choice boils down to the individual ( factors include TCO, style/presence, a**, personal preferences, driving dynamics, features-bells & whistles and so on)

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 13:31   #85
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs. Need to check the Fortuner. CRV has a milage issue. How is Fortuner placed on this front? Not sure of Captiva on the *** bit.
Old 20th November 2009, 14:12   #86
BHPian

Smile

I mean After Sales Service bit about Captiva.

Didn't know the short form get shown as elipses of enlightenment.

My uncle checked the Fortuner today. He was told that the premium for immediate delivery is Rs 300,000. To me this seems too much. Is there a way we can find what should be the premium for a ready delivery? He can pick up the beast from Jaipur or Delhi.

Please help!

Last edited by dushmish : 20th November 2009 at 14:29. Reason: Appended a query.
Old 20th November 2009, 16:04   #87
BHPian

I think he should go for VW Jetta 1.9TDI DSG, as its ride and handling on the highway is amazing. And it has enough "High style quotient" desired by your mama.
hiren959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 16:13   #88
BHPian

as he is inclined towards an SUV i would suggest the captiva, fits the bill perfectly IMO. and as he already has a sedan buying an SUV makes sense.

but as he is keen on driving the car himself only might be bit of a problem as the captiva is a pretty big car.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Pleae type "I would" instead of "i d" Thanks

Last edited by ishotmydog : 20th November 2009 at 16:26.
ishotmydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 16:47   #89
BHPian

bhp: my bad. was supposed to be on road. it was 19.36lac ex showroom (mumbai) online last time i checked.
akshaymahajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 19:42   #90
BHPian

It's 1.5 years. Did not you purchase any car or still thinking...
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote