Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 27th May 2008, 23:15   #16
Awaiting Email Confirmation

the swift VDi is waaaaay more fun, but the verna is waaaay faster and more practical. lot more comfortable too.
I end up driving the swift exclusively, even though the verna is always available at home.
the swift has a slight edge in mileage.
if driven decently- the swift gives 22kmpl
the verna gives 17kmpl in my hands, 20kmpl in dad's
contrary to what most people say, the verna is a decent handler below 140kmph. any speed above that in india is suicidal anyway.
also, if the road is smooth, speeds higher than 140 are also safe.

in 20000kms of hard driving, I have had to use the ABS once, but I still feel it is completely worth it. the freedom to brake hard without fear of a skid is truly great.

the all round disk brakes in the verna is not touted as a USP.thats a shame, as its brakes are brilliant.

the fiesta 1.6 would be nice, definitely! but the A.S.S? depends on what ford is like in your area.

please dont pick the 1.4 fiesta TDCI, wait for the 1.6 if you are hell bent on a ford.

BTW- there is no car with too much power.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 21:12   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
the verna gives 17kmpl in my hands, 20kmpl in dad's

the fiesta 1.6 would be nice, definitely! but the A.S.S? depends on what ford is like in your area.

please dont pick the 1.4 fiesta TDCI, wait for the 1.6 if you are hell bent on a ford.

BTW- there is no car with too much power.
Yeah I agree, there is no car with TOO MUCH power! But mine is gonna be more or less a city drive.

I like the driving comfort of the Ford Fiesta TDCi 1.4 ZXi (it comes with height adjustable steer, seat) and is available with 30k dealer discount. Very sweet deal at 7.9 on road! I think a total maintenance plan to go along with can be a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
well im about an inch or so taller than you and compared to the innova the getz driving position is nowhere as good..

barcode - i suggest you take a td of the innova before deciding on anything. also if mileage is a worry to you i just got about 16kmpl in my innova sticking to speeds of 80-90 on a long drive.
Not too sure about the innova. Its too big for my daily city drive. Although I have no issues about parking (I have a reserved space at work )

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You need a compact diesel which is cheap to maintain.
Any reason for a boot?
If not go for Getz or Swift diesel.
I am 6'2" and I found the Verna seating a tad low for my taste. But still it was pretty okay. However getz ergonomics are spot in. After driving over 1500kms in a few days duration too, there was no fatigue whatsoever. I drove the petrol version, but as far as ergonomics are concerned, they are same for both petrol and diesel.

As for the Verna SX, if you throw in the loyalty discounts and other discounts, the SX can fall within your budget. You should get around 15kmpl easily with the modern diesels as long as you keep the car around 2500rpm and don't zoom too much.
I found it a little low too. How did you find the ergonomics of the Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi ZXi? I hate my Santro and the steep right corner placement for the accelerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
To "CARFUSE" you more did you consider the Innova and Optra ???
Optra Magnum is expensive and somehow I have low trust level for Chevy at the moment. Innova is great, but I'd perhaps buy it later. I love the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Hi Barcode,

I am in the process of buying one ( Maybe in a week ).After months have finally decided to buy the Verna It has been on my wishlist too long.

IMPORTANT NOTE - If you have to buy a Verna make your desicion fast as Hyundai plans to hike it's price by 24k - 36k I am told by 1st June !!! I am going to send 10k tommorrow to dealer.

ABS variant will take 3 weeks minimum to come as they do not have any in stock. I am planning to buy the Base Model ( WHITE colour ) without ABS.

SX is a good bet but I am not going for it as I hate that stock Kenwood HU and I am not a fan of Clima Control. I'd rather spend that extra money later on for fatter rubber and alloys.
Yeah yeah yeah! The prices are gonna increase in a couple of days! Dunno how much though! I plan to save the money on the SX variant, but I dunno if I'd miss the driver's seat height adjust later :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
And any other car you'd like to recommend? You choose good cars

Should I go for a diesel car? Yes. You need a diesel.

Anyone can share maintenance figures with regular driving? My friend has Fiesta He tells me he spends Max 400 Every two months. But you have to be lucky with Ford. Swift I have heard is low on maintanance.

Is Verna over powered for city driving conditions? I didnt feel so Test Drive and see.

Is the Honda City due for a change in shape (like the Accord) Yes It is May be this year around August or so.

What if my driving goes down (if I move to Gurgaon, or office moves to Delhi) Depends on how low the driving goes. If Below 15-20KMS per day than only Petrol(Considering the difference in Petrol and Diesel Car is quite Low, Unlike old times.)

What are the sales figures for the cars above? Search google. All three Swift, Fiesta, Verna are selling good. The difference wont make much of a difference.

You can also consider newer Models that are Due launch this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I drive a Swift VDI daily from Dwarka to Gurgaon (60 km total). Utterly comfortable ride with a mileage of 22 and 20 with and without AC respectively.

Other than this, I drive a Ford Ikon and I can safely say that it is very expensive to maintain if you don't have warranty. In case you have an extended warranty for 4 years, go ahead with the Fiesta. But I heard a new one is coming soon.

My two cents !!
WOW 22 kmpl in winters is AWEESOME!
barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 01:10   #18
BHPian

Default Update on CarFusion!

I test drove the following again: I have already paid 10k to insulate myself from the price increase by Hyundai (which is uncalled for in this volatile economy where anything remotely oily is uber expensive).
  • Chevrolet Optra Magnum (On road Rs. 9.1 Lakhs): Brilliant Car. Brilliant Inside. Super comfortable. My dad loves it too! PROS: Even the base version is fully loaded. Awesome build quality. CONS: Not sure about GM Service. Expensive.
  • Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi ZXi (On road Rs. 7.8 Lakhs): I really liked the driving position. Upto 40k cash discounts (30k from Ford and 10k dealer). Finance discount extra. PROS: Far more convenient to idle, drive, maneuver and relax in 'steel snake' like traffic!! Comes with Drivers Height Adjustable Seat, Drivers arm rest, Electrical ORVM, defogger and slight. Can also pick up the EXi (around Rs. 7.4 Lakhs on road). Fuel economy better than Verna. CONS: Ride quality over bad roads. A.S.S.. I am not too worried about the
  • Hyundai Verna VGT CRDi (On road Rs. 7.8 Lakhs): Found this to be overpriced (even with a 30k discount). CONS: The base model doesn't come with Drivers Height Adjustable Seat, Electrical ORVM. The SX (Rs. 8.4 Lakhs) comes with a BAD stereo and has a chrome beading on the boot!!! FE according to friends and TBHP is ~15. PROS: Hyundai A.S.S. Resale, awesome engine, awesome ride quality, roomy. A car which can stand taller than the Octi in both show off and showdowns!
Some clear issues:
  • I am 6'3" and my thighs touch the steering wheel
  • Is the Accelerator in Verna too far on the right?
  • Which has a larger boot? Can two large suitcases fit in the Verna boot.
  • Which car is best in ergonomics? Okay, I know its the Magnum, but help me save money and choose between the Fiesta and the Verna!
  • Is the Fiesta Gear Shift a little tacky? How about the issue with the reverse for Verna?
  • Whats the situation with Diesel and Petrol prices? Any economic experts? What if diesel were to match petrol prices or even becoming more expensive (as in western countries). Diesel subsidies are higher than petrol. Petrol price hike deferred again
  • Should I go with Verna Petrol and fix CNG? Or a NHC with CNG instead? Or even buy a 2 year old NHC and fit CNG?
  • OR LASTLY - Wait for Linea and other babes
I know am confused, but I feel lots of you learned and opinionated folks will add great value for others who can read this thread.

Many thanks.
Old 2nd June 2008, 09:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Here are a few answers to your questions Mohak -

The Verna Boot is bigger I think than the Fiesta ( I may be wrong, but both are very good and 2 suitcases should not be problem in either )

The Accelerator is rightly placed, did not find it odd.

Do not compare the Magnum with the Verna, Magnum is a league higher, 140 BHP / 110 BHP can't be compared. Resale of Chevy is really bad. So even though the car is very good, do not expect anything when you sell the car. Verna resale is tops.

Fiesta gearshift is fine, Steering is vague IMHO. Fiesta is low in power, else a perfect car. City driving Fiesta is better, Highway driving, nothing comes near the Verna. Verna After Sales & Mantainance will be easier than Ford's.

Do not even think of fixing Verna Petrol with CNG. Go for a diesel and you will be a happy person. Diesel will continue to be subsidised for quite some time as it is the MASS fuel. Petrol will continue to rise. Although expect Diesel to be sold at 50 rs. at least in another 2 years. BUT petrol will have crossed 80 by then

Linea will be an awesome car BUT no one has a clue when it is being launched, also it's a Fiat so you can never be sure of the company.

My Advise - when you have made up your mind, do not be confused, I was since the last so many months. Now have made up my mind and no one changes it. Get the Verna, it's a sweet deal already and with the recent price hike, you save quite a lot.

Last edited by vkochar : 2nd June 2008 at 09:10.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 09:15   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

Do not compare the Magnum with the Verna, Magnum is a league higher, 140 BHP / 110 BHP can't be compared.
actually the magnum is 120ps. so there isnt much of a difference.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 09:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
actually the magnum is 120ps. so there isnt much of a difference.
My Bad !! I am sorry !! Even more reason to go for the Verna
Old 3rd June 2008, 21:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hey barcode. My brother was in a similar dilemma as you and IIRC he has recently booked a Fiesta or is going to soon.
We too own a Fiesta since the last 2.5 years (Long term report posted) and owned 2 Ikons.
Here are my views to the questions you have asked.

* I am 6'3" and my thighs touch the steering wheel
If you like the driving position of the Fiesta over the Verna then go for it. No point in compromising your safety and comfort for a few extra thousand rupees

* Which has a larger boot? Can two large suitcases fit in the Verna boot.
I haven't seen the Verna's boot but the fiesta's boot is good for 2 big bags and one small bag
* Which car is best in ergonomics? Okay, I know its the Magnum, but help me save money and choose between the Fiesta and the Verna!
Again, I havent seen or driven the Verna but am quite happy with the Fiesta. Visibility is great, switches fall to place easily.
* Is the Fiesta Gear Shift a little tacky? How about the issue with the reverse for Verna?
Haven't driven the Verna but the fiesta has a pretty slick gear shift and the steering feel is perfect as well.
* Whats the situation with Diesel and Petrol prices? Any economic experts? What if diesel were to match petrol prices or even becoming more expensive (as in western countries). Diesel subsidies are higher than petrol. Petrol price hike deferred again
IIRC the government subsidises diesels and the price hike is Rs3 for petrol and Rs2 for diesel. That coupled with the better FE for diesel cars makes diesel more logical for those hwo drive more

* OR LASTLY - Wait for Linea and other babes
That could be a long wait. A very long wait. Here's a cheaper option if you are willing to wait for a month. How about the Ikon 1.4 TDCi?

Looking at your requirements, here is what I have to say -

1. Comfort: I have frequent back/neck pain from the driving
I am 6'1" and I love the driving position of the fiesta. Haven't driven the Verna
2. Fuel Efficiency: I am inclined to buy a diesel as the increase in the EMI and the lowering of fuel costs would still result in end benefit
The Fiesta has better FE. I get 14 in city but people here get much more
3. Reliability: While I take utmost care of the car, with regular servicing (car has been serviced at Hyundai Company Owned Showroom in Delhi), I have read people having strange issues with Ford Fiesta on the forums
Both the fiesta and the Verna should be equally reliable. The Verna has a better warranty
4. Cost of maintenance: This is both for accidental and mechanical maintenance
They both should be the same for servicing. The Fiesta might be a bit more expensive
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 03:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

i think you can choose from logan diesel, verna diesel and optra magnum diesel.

your average travel per month is around 2000kms, so i would suggest a diesel car.

now coming to other issues like maintainance and reliability i say go for verna definitely with ABS, after reading the engine oil sump problem in optra magnum i some how dont like that car for the same.(search the forum for the same, there are even pictures)

if dont want a diesel car, then you can look at honda city, cedia and sx4.
you might have to wait for the face lifted version from honda,

but once you buy one of these cars its peace of mind for the next few years, because all the three qualify for your requirements.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 17:46   #24
BHPian

I am a Cedia LPG owner and was keenly reading this post. Consider this car if you are looking at a time hoizon of atleast 5 years of ownership. Cars are like dogs. A good breed is always preferable than the new kid on the block. The reasons are similar to the selection of canines as pets. The underlying character and the underpinnings are difficult to develop, test, market, improve and maintain in a short time. Cars, like any other expensive machinery like speedboats, airplanes, cranes, take time, to evolve.

Try going for a good pedigree,and, thou shall stand the test of time.
Joy Ghose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 08:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

Interesting Post Joy !! So is the Verna a Mongrel ? ( Just Kidding )

BTW the Cedia LPG & Verna CRDi are two totally different machines and cannot be compared.

Selling a used Cedia is a feat in itself, Imagine selling a LPG cedia. Resale takes a hit there.

Also LPG is yet to gain poularity in India. There are very few filling stations.
Old 8th June 2008, 11:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Ghose View Post
I am a Cedia LPG owner and was keenly reading this post. Consider this car if you are looking at a time horizon...
@Joy
Hasn't the cost benefit of LPG worn off with the price increase of LPG?
It is Rs. 37 in Hyderabad (Rs. 3.70 per km) and no more as economical as diesel (Rs. 2.50 per km).
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 12:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
[*]I am 6'3" and my thighs touch the steering wheel
i am 6'2 and i have the same problem sitting and im getting a swift this month! Are the seats height adjustable?
Cause if its like santro sh**
Team_Godspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 14:39   #28
BHPian

I don't think its fair to compare Verna and cedia LPG. Atleast for my parameters of reliability (A.S.S. included), running cost (Diesel has a price advantage over LPG, and is available easily as of now) and resale (IMHO, verna should have a great resale value.

Quote:
I am a Cedia LPG owner and was keenly reading this post. Consider this car if you are looking at a time hoizon of atleast 5 years of ownership. Cars are like dogs. A good breed is always preferable than the new kid on the block. The reasons are similar to the selection of canines as pets. The underlying character and the underpinnings are difficult to develop, test, market, improve and maintain in a short time. Cars, like any other expensive machinery like speedboats, airplanes, cranes, take time, to evolve.
Pedigree - sells well, needs no training, and service should be available. Mitsu is losing the pedigree by the day.
Quote:
Try going for a good pedigree,and, thou shall stand the test of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Godspeed View Post
i am 6'2 and i have the same problem sitting and im getting a swift this month! Are the seats height adjustable?
Cause if its like santro sh**
That's the reason I didnt go for the Swift. I had similar issues. VDi/VXi/LDi/LXi dont come with height adjust for steering & seat. Poor show by Maruti on those counts.
Old 8th June 2008, 15:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hey Godspeed, The Santro is one of the best cars for Tall Drivers, so if you are uncomfortable with that, then the Swift is not really going to solve the problem as far as I Know.

Someone else who is this tall here and has a Swift might be able to help you with that.

I know Swift does not have height adjustable seats except for the ZXi. WHich one are you getting ?
Old 8th June 2008, 15:24   #30
Team-BHP Support

Isn't Fiesta coming up with a facelifted model soon ? Suggest you look at that too.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote