Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 1st June 2008, 20:24   #1

Default Cedia/SX4/Corolla

Hi All,

I need your at most help in deciding a car. I plan to buy the car next month and i am currently in a very confused state. My usage will be ~ 1000 kms per month ( 500 in city and 500 on highway). I am looking for a car with ABS and airbags and also with good FE( considering the fact that Petrol prices are headed north). I wanted to go for Dzire, but based on the info on its availability, i have backed off. Then also considered verna, but my bro already has a very and I am not happy with its braking. Coming to Fiesta, I don't like its looks.. somehow feels very STD.

So I finally have 3 options which I have zeroed down. My budget is 10L

1) Cedia: Love this car for its looks. but not happy with the Rear seat. also with lathangi now backing off Mitsu, I am concerned with is ***

2) SX4: I like this car. but not sure of its FE and its safety. Fellow BHPians I need you inputs in this.

3) Corolla HE: I like this car. lot of space and is a TOYOTA :-)

Any inputs will be of great help.
Plasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:25   #2
BHPian

Even I had approximately the same selection list as yours.

SX4 is a whole lakh cheaper than the other two in your list. But I did not like its rear seat and it did not give me 'yes, this is my car' feeling. I liked the exterior front styling thou.

Cedia ( which is finally my choice ) is a good VFM car, with good discounts and bad A.S.S

Corolla is a good pick and eventhough they came back late to me the guys were ready to give 1 lakh discount without any bargaining from my side!!!. I think that is a good steal. But go in for H1 instead of HE. HE does not have AirBags.
santhosh_kumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:39   #3
BHPian

Go for the Cedia, its great VFM and one of the best cars to drive. HM in bangalore is quite sad, but I am living with it as I think there should be a new distributor sometime soon, as they are planning a more aggresive startegy in India now, with the outlander and new lancer as well as the evo and ralliart.

Please dont go for the HE, its a completly stripped down version and personally would like the corolla but in the higher versions only.

Last edited by mav2000 : 2nd June 2008 at 11:43.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

SX4 is in a lower segment compared to the other two. But ZXi variant is high on the list of safety features.

Of the other two, Corolla is just going to be replaced. Good time, if you want a bargain on price. Otherwise, the model will be outdated in a few months. Since you are buying next month, i think you should wait for the new Corolla/ New Honda City to be launched before a decision.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:45   #5

Thanks all for the reply.
I will speak to the Corolla people and see if I can strike any deal for H1. I know the new corolla will be out in couple of months, but that will be prized at ~ 12-13L , Which is beyond my reach. So one thing I now know is that I can rule out SX4 and stick to either Cedia or Corolla.
Old 2nd June 2008, 15:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Since you are buying next month, i think you should wait for the new Corolla/ New Honda City to be launched before a decision.
Its already specified that the NNHC will be launched around Diwali. So i guess wont qualify in your list ( Since you need to book it a month). Why dont you opt for the Honda City VTEC Plus. It should come around your budget .Its got all features and Honda s excellent *** ( But its overpriced for sure).
Corolla is expecting a facelift in few months. If you go for H1 now you ll get good discounts but for sure next yr your resale will drop big time when New Corolla comes. So i would suggest you to opt for NHC VTEC PLUS.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 21:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
I now know is that I can rule out SX4 and stick to either Cedia or Corolla.
In searching for a used car option, I selected corolla over cedia (although cedia was available at better VFM deal)

Pros IMHO:
1. Service quality/satisfaction of Toyota A.S.S superior to HM- Mitsibishi A.S.S, check online reviews.
2. Reliability of Toyota vehicles, recommended by friends, family & Bhpians.
3. Image/status superior to Honda City,SX4 & Cedia, discussed with friends & family.
4. Fuel average similar & in some cases better than smaller sedans - 11-12kmpl 100% AC in city.
5. Resale price better than Cedia.

Good luck
liberal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 10:30   #8
BHPian

Toyota is a good car, but the next gen corolla is just around the corner. Go for high end model of corolla if you are getting some great discounts. Else stick to Cedia.
sbelekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 14:09   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

From your list, the SX4 provides sheer value. If it is brand, reliability and back seat comfort, the Corolla it is for you. If you are an enthusiastic driver, I'd recommend the Cedia.

But what I'd really recommend you to do is wait for the '09 NHC and the all new Corolla. They are just around the corner.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 14:27   #10

Thanks GTO and Others for the inputs.
Any Idea when the new city is expected to release.
I saw in a post in TBHP which says that its around Aug -Sept.
Any Idea on the Approx Price as I cannot go beyond 10 and now I am getting an offer for Corolla H1 for a little over 10
Old 3rd June 2008, 14:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any Idea on the Approx Price as I cannot go beyond 10 and now I am getting an offer for Corolla H1 for a little over 10
Plasma Buddy ! You can expect New City by Diwali for sure.It should fall into your price bracket. It should be exciting as from spy pics its obvious that New City will be bigger ( & Hopefully Better).
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 15:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:

The NHC genII will be under 10lacs but I dont think the new Corolla will be under 10. Keep that in mind.
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 01:14   #13
BHPian

Cedia LPG is the best car for you. It is much superior to the SX4. The LPG option beats the Corolla. If we get into petrol rationing, what is your plan?

Today a car decision is more of what is the fuel you are buying into. Think about it.

The A.S.S. is not an issue for this car. It needs very little service.
Joy Ghose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 19:26   #14
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Ghose View Post
Cedia LPG is the best car for you. It is much superior to the SX4. The LPG option beats the Corolla. If we get into petrol rationing, what is your plan?

Today a car decision is more of what is the fuel you are buying into. Think about it.

The A.S.S. is not an issue for this car. It needs very little service.
Hi Joy,
What's the mileage you are getting with Cedia ALPG (in City and on Highways)?
Cheers,
oss is offline   Reply With Quote