Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 17th June 2008, 00:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattusbs View Post
1. Innova - good - but, for a single guy - too much.
2. Scorpio - Have been seeing the glowing comments by Shankar Balan - will have a look at it. Btw, what about the Scorpio Getaway? Has anyone test driven or does anyone own that? It seems nice to me!
3. What is the difference between SX4 and the new Dzire - they appear to be in the same market segment from Maruti! Maybe, I am missing something. SX4 does not have diesel option I think.
4. Will TD Sumo Grande - although I do not need 3rd row seats - can they be taken out?
5.Don't know if Ford dealer is in KGP - I do not think there is Toyota dealer either. One of my Prof colleagues told me to stay with Indian companies in KGP - Maruti, Tata or Mahindra. The Scorpio is looking more and more macho and impressive.
6. Re: Bikes - I hear the message of avoiding the Bullet for now as I am a beginner. So, would it be possible to get a used or new Karizma? If I get one at a good price (which is?), I may go with this for the beginning commuting on campus and for eat-outs - is there a website that I can get some pricing info?

Cheers

Nattusbs
Avoid used bikes, especially used "performance" bikes unless you know the owner and ride pillion with him. There are a lot of them in the market, but mostly they have been abused quite a bit.

I am not the authority on cars but Scorpio seems to suit your requirements and also appeal to you. It seems to be a fairly reliable machine even if it may not have the sheer presence of a Safari.

However, perhaps you should define your requirements more clearly. I don't think there's much in common with Dzire and Scorpio and Innova except a diesel engine.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 00:52   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Hunji boss,

If prices is what you want, here are some indicative numbers: (donno KGP rates)
Uni: 55-58k Karizma 77-80k Thunderbird: 97-100k Bullet 500 LB: 1.1L Electra: ~85k
For your usage, Uni would do. But maybe CBZX (almost same rates) or RTR would do better. Screamer performance (uni is sedate) - sets your pulse racing when you wring the throttle. KZMA with 50% more cubes does it better! Bullet is a bullet so no comments there. Used bike is no use since for a few thousands less, you never know when something may pack up. Ofc while it isnt a bad value proposition - but has negative connotations for a phoren return prof!

As for dZire and SX4, the only thing same is that they are 3 box sedans. SX4 is a sedan from ground up, 16 inchers, high GC, different driving experience. dZire is a Ctrl-C/V of a boot, so its same as swift from most angles.

PS: As an US return fella, you'd want ABS/airbags no? That reduces pool of eligible vehicles considerably - with lesser choice comes much less headaches
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 02:47   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattusbs View Post
2. Scorpio - Have been seeing the glowing comments by Shankar Balan - will have a look at it. Btw, what about the Scorpio Getaway? Has anyone test driven or does anyone own that? It seems nice to me!
I think the Getaway has the leaf spring rear suspension meant for load carrying. You dont want that ...esp if you have bumpy roads in KGP.

For a helmet, make sure its one that has a flip up chin bar. The convenience is worth its weight in gold...esp for a commuter. Shown below is a HJC for $250.... good VFM. Might also want to pick up a good hot weather jacket while you are at it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mpower : 18th June 2008 at 04:42.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 05:31   #19
BHPian

Hi all

Thanks for the wonderful comments & suggestions. As someone mentioned, I have my German Shepard and that is one of the reasons I am also considering a SUV/MUV. He is with my parents and that is great, however, what if I need to bring him to IIT-KGP (not to study ). Looking at the choices and VFM, I was thinking of the Sumo Grande and was wondering if the 3rd row seats come out. I found a good review (although biased from the name of the website) - Big Group Test

It shows that the 3rd row seats of the Sumo Grande can be removed which would be great for Nattu. However, I like off-roading too - but it says that that is not possible due to the low mounted intercooler which will get hit. What a bummer !

Any comments?

Nattusbs
Nattusbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 13:30   #20

Hi Nattusbs,

I am an IIT-KGP alumni (CSE Dep-03), own a Dzire VDI and Honda Unicorn. My $0.02 -

- KGP is hardly a place where you can venture out of the campus on a cruise with bike. So, I guess the usage would be 95% within the campus. This can easily be covered by a good sporty bicycle for the time you are waiting for a car. The Prof's Quarters are not far off from Department Buildings.Trust me, plenty of Proffs use them. For any outings you can use a cab for the time being. They are cheap there.

- The case for bicycle strengthens when you consider that you would be learning to ride. By the time you get proficient in riding , your car would be ready for delivery. (Only if it is not a Dzire). So, get a Bike only if you must.

- If you are hellbent on getting a Bike, I would highly advise you to go with Bullet. Once you set your eyes on Bullet, it is tough to like anything else. Besides, a Macho Professor on Bullet would be a welcome change in KGP. cheers:

- As for Car, other Gurus will help you out in choosing the right MUV / SUV / Sedans. As for Dzire, mine runs like beauty. Only if the waiting-period was tolerable. Whatever you choose, please verify that proper Service center exists for that Company in KGP and you do not have to run to Midnapore for any issues. I have not checked but I doubt that one exists for Toyota, Honda Siel etc. Again, when I was at the school, existing Profs mostly drove around in hatchbacks. Things might have changed.

Good luck for your decision and Welcome to IIT KGP. You will enjoy it there.
prkumar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 19:06   #21
BHPian

After a lot of thought and going through the feedback here, I am now leaning to buying a Mahindra Scorpio. I do plan to TD the Swift, Dzire, Safari, Innova as well as the Scorpio (ya, I know they are all in different categories or segments) and will then make a final decision. Shankar Balan's strong recommendation of the Scorpio on Team-BHP as well as on Care Wale makes me want to look at the Scorpio seriously. I would like to have the possibility of accomodating my German Shepard (if my Mom gives him back to me!!) and my family.

I shall keep you posted, although it will be sporadic for the rest of the week since I fly out from California tonight, get to Hyderabad on July 2nd and then to IIT-KGP on July 6th to rejoin.

Many thanks for all the feedback. Samurai, I hope we can test your GV against the Scorpio one of these days!!!

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 10th July 2008, 09:00   #22
BHPian

Update

Firstly, I have given up on purchasing a motor bike.

Secondly is the choice of car/SUV. Just to recall so that I am not confusing anyone, although I am looking at vehicles in different segments, there is a method to this madness, viz,

Presently, I am alone, but that can change. In addition, although my German Shepard (Nattu) is with my parents in Hyderabad, I should plan just in case I need to bring him here. It may happen after 6 months, or a year nevertheless, I should be prepared to accommodate him; hence the need for a SUV.

Last week, in Hyderabad, I test drove a Tata Safari - great vehicle, handles very nicely and there is not much to add to what others have already mentioned. Just the price! Looks like (taking a cue from Shankar Bala's view of getting the base model and adding specific accessories) the OTR of a LX will be about Rs 8.5L. I shall contact the Tata dealer in KGP today andsee what the service is like and the availability.

Yesterday, I test drove a Maruti SX4 in KGP. The dealer told me that DZire waiting time is 4 months for a diesel and 2 months for a petrol version - I can't wait that long, hence the TD of a SX4. It drives very nicely, ad as Gopinath has nicely pointed out the rear view is horrible. I reversed the car and honestly could not see clearly at all by turning my head to the back seats - I could use the side mirrors, but, do not think that is the right approach. This could be deal breaker. OTR price is around Rs 8L and it is easily available on the spot.

Today I am going to TD a Scorpio and like Gopinath I am looking at the base LX. Let us see how this works out - I have heard that the Mahindra dealership in KGP caters mostly to tractors and that they do not have much experience servicing a Scorpio (they are probably going to get the vehicle for me to TD from Kolkata).

Still debating whether I should consider the Innova from a Kolkata dealer - I am sure it is very reliable, so making 2-3 trips to Kolkata for regular service should not be a big deal - the bigger question is whether this is the vehicle for me at this stage of my life.

Another point I am considering is that for a place like KGP where I will not be doing as much driving compared to a place like Hyderabad or Bangalore, I do not think there is any real benefit in going for a Diesel engine. A petrol one will do just fine, and may be even less maintenance.

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 13th July 2008, 11:09   #23
BHPian

So, finally the decision I have made is to purchase a Maruti Swift VXi. Given my personal requirements the following factors led to this decision:

1. In a place like IIT-KGP, I will not be doing a whole lot of driving. There will be only a few highway trips say to Digha or Kolkata. Hence I have opted for the petrol version which is probably easier on maintenance.

2. I felt that I should get used to Indian driving conditions before I get a SUV like the Safari or Scorpio. I am also a bit concerned at the number of negative comments I have received about both of these SUV's - mostly based on poor quality, reliability and so on.

3. A.S.S. in KGP was an important factor. Maruti Suzuki wins that hands-down from owners and my experience with the sales team has been very good. No one was answering the phone at the Tata dealership.

4. I thought of getting the Swift ZXi, but, I looked into the accessories or options and picked the ones that I would need (like Shankar Balan did for the Scorpio) - the extra cost on the VXi was less than the premium I would pay for the ZXi.

5. If I get Nattu to KGP, as the rear seat of the Swift folds, he has enough room. This would not have been possible in a sedan like DZire or SX4.

6. The rear view is pretty good in the Swift compared to the DZire or SX4 (so called 2-box versus 3-box - I have to get used to the Indian lingo!!!).

I shall post some pictures when I get the car, it is available on the spot and I should have it today.

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 13th July 2008, 12:04   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Boss,

Interesting though process all through. That said, am surprised you didn't take the ZXi. You get alloys, climate control, ABS, airbags, better audio? and some other chotu items. maybe not worth 60-70k extra, but just a ~10k premium and immense safety! Waise all cars in US would have airbags no?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 12:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the decision Prof sahab! Do see if you can get some better tyres on the Swift!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 13:14   #26
BHPian

Nattusbs, no matter how much you try and be careful on Indian roads, there is always a risk. As you will be doing the highways on a regular basis, its always advisable to go in for ABS and airbags. My suggestion is for you to go with the ZXi. Moreover, you have spent a considerable amount of time in the US or A and as such you must understand that these things aree there in a vehicle for a good reason. Go with the ZXi if you can. The Swift is a wonderful car. Congratulations.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 16:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Default Strongly Recommend Swift ZXi

In your case, since you have been considering other expensive cars, I don't think budget is a constraint.

Please go for the Swift ZXi only. Its worth the extra cost because of the safety features as well as much better tyres and alloys. In my opinion, its also the most complete package for a small car in India.

If you still don't want to go for the ZXi, atleast get the VXi ABS version and upgrade to alloys and better tyres.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 08:28   #28
BHPian

Thanks to all who have advised to get the ZXi, however it is too late to change - the VXi has been given the anti-rust treatment and the accessories have been fitted - more importantly I have given a token deposit yesterday and will be picking up the car today. Have I made a mistake? Possibly, but, Hanumanji is with me, so no worries .

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:30   #29
BHPian

Hey,

Finally you made the decision within a wide range from the Bullet to Karisma to Safari and Scorpio. Its a nice decision. Enjoy the ride.
sridhga is offline   Reply With Quote