Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 24th June 2008, 23:44   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
The Laura is a far better product, and has been recently positioned to come within an arms length of the Octy
Laura is overall a better car but after driving the Laura for 7-8 months now, i feel the Octavia still is better in some areas ...

1) It is overall better built that the Laura(Laura is excellent too but the octavias build is exceptional)

2) The old TDi is less noisy than the new PD .

3) The Ride Quality of the Octavia is better than that of Laura (the latter has a stiffer suspension)

4) I 've heard it is somewhat more reliable than the Laura although i expect the ambiente version of the Laura to be as reliable becos of less gizmos .

Laura is a brilliant car, fantastic VFM but there are some areas where Octavia is still to be challenged by its competitors .

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Apart from the 'newer feel', Laura has few differences (AFAIK):
Independent rear suspension
All disc brakes
Little more space in the back
Better safety and comfort equipment level depending on the variant
Probably an improved chassis compared to the older platform
+ Laura is a better handler than the Octavia .
More features
Looks classy
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 07:37   #17
BHPian

Thanks Beemer, Androdev for the info. Its very helpful.

I'm repeatedly told by many folks that Octavia gives atleast 2-3 km more in FE. Guess that would also be a good point for Octavia.

Now, i just need to break my own mental block - based on the fact Octavia is an older model !!.

I guess i will eventually go for an Octavia. There is Rider (silver color) still in stock with Vinayak. But the newer Elegance (A.Grey with Beige interiors) is pulling me to it.

Not dealing with TAFE at all, given what i 've read about them on the forum. Maybe they are better now, but i'm not risking that.
contessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 14:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contessa View Post
Thanks Hitesh. You got quite some discount....how did you manage that !!

[FONT=Tms Rmn]I managed to get a 95k Corporate discount over and above the Insurance free and NCb of 50%..So overall i got a great deal.

Good to hear that you are towards finalizing the Car..
If need be visit the vinayak workshop and have a session with their GM(mr patil),They gave me that option and it helped me. He will give u technical facts about both the cars and probably make ur decision more easier or tougher

I was honestly told of 2 known issues for both the cars..
1. Clutch of the Octavia - If we drive with Clutch riding then we are sure
to have the Clutch replaced sooner. the Clutch of the Octavia is sensitive.

2. Turbo with Laura..there seems to be some issue with this..if occurred in your car it would be within the first 20000KM and would be taken care int he warranty..

but again you need to be bad driver or unlucky to have these issues in your car.

Also check if they can pull out a Rider classic model from stock.That will have ABS & Alloys over and above the Rider at a diff of 40k.

Hitin
[/FONT][FONT=Helv][/FONT]
hitinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 00:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I'm repeatedly told by many folks that Octavia gives atleast 2-3 km more in FE. Guess that would also be a good point for Octavia.
Thats not true . Having driven both for many kms ,i didnt find any significant difference . Laura is as Fuel efficient as the Octavia ..

Quote:
Now, i just need to break my own mental block - based on the fact Octavia is an older model !!.
Like others i too would suggest you to go in for the Laura becos of the various reasons mentioned here in this thread but if you are having a tight budget then you may go in for the Octavia ,it wont dissappoint you and to add to confusion do take a TD of the Optra magnum ,its a brilliant VFM .

Quote:
Stretching budget for a car is not a sound financial move.
Excellent point there androdev .. Many poeple do get carried away with the new launches , features ,looks ,size etc and stretch their budget which as you said is not a smart financial move .
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 07:55   #20
BHPian

Thanks to Androdev's golden/financial advice. I've booked the Octavia. Should get it shortly.

I know Laura is a better car than Octavia. But I think - i can live without the additional things that Laura provides and save about 2.6 lakhs (including interest on the additional loan amount).

Thanks everyone for helping me make the choice.
Old 27th June 2008, 08:26   #21
BHPian

Took delivery of my Octavia yesterday. Being used to a petrol engine (Optra), i thought it might be difficult to adopt to the diesel one. But there was no such problem. The engine is also not as noisy as i expected. The interiors maybe dated, but car is so smooth and solid that it make u forget everything else.

The only upgrade I'm planning is the music system - change to alphine 9887 and some decent speaker system (Hoping the installers will remove and put back the door panel properly).

I'm confused about one aspect thought . The service cycle is 10k km, but from the manual i read that the oil change is for every 7.5k km. I'm surprised that the first service is after 10k km only.

Thanks again to everyone who made suggestions and helped me arrive at an conclusion.
Old 27th June 2008, 20:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, TDis are more silent than CRDis. I like the Octy's interiors very much.
Service is every 7.5k kms/6 months. A service reminder text comes up on the display.
One suggestion. Use regular diesel.
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 23:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too recommend Vinayaka. Persuade them to add the keyless entry as an option.

TDI is believed to be a more robust engine than PD.
Engine is same, its just that they have different fuel delivery system.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 01:41   #24
BHPian

Congrats on the new Car..So what colour did u buy and which variant..

service for Octavia being delivered in 2008 is 10000KM...There is a notice put up in the workshops and i also got a letter from the dealer..

The servie manual is not updated..
hitinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 08:10   #25
BHPian

Thanks.

I took the Elegance variant in Anthracite Grey and Panama interiors. It looks good, interior color feels a tad from early 90's.

Changed the HU to Alpine 9887 after trading in the 9881 that came with the car. The sound has improved quite a bit. Now for the speakers and Sun film (planning on Lumar neutral 35 in platinum series).
Old 28th June 2008, 08:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Congrats contessa. Great choice. I do hope your travel includes highways - thats where the real joy of owning this car can be experienced!

What happened to the key-less-entry feature finally?

OT:
i have also noticed this notice in workshops.. service interval is 10000KM after 2008. Why this change? I do not believe there are any changes to the engine that offer a longer interval.

Internationally the service intervals are much longer (10000 *MILES*) but due to the terrible/severe driving conditions in India, Skoda has decided 7500KM (nearly 50%) as the service interval to be on the safe side (by a huge factor) w.r.t warranties and stuff.

But I guess now they have realized 10000KM is a reasonable interval even for Indian driving conditions.

Or do you guys think they have done some changes to the engine due to which longer service intervals can be offered?
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 09:15   #27
Team-BHP Support

There could be larger oil filters and filling only with synthetic oils.

If you are keeping the car a while, more frequent oil changes will be the best thing for your car
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 14:50   #28
BHPian

Androdev, The elegance model comes with key-less-entry. The choice was between the 2007 made Rider or the new Elegance. I choose the Elegance due to the inclusion of Airbag and ABS. I was okay to invest that extra amount in Safety, as i often travel on highway with the family.

I took the car to Mysore over the weekend (keeping the speed @ 80km...and not Rev-ing the engine too much). It was absolutely fantastic...a good step above Optra.