Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 18th June 2008, 21:57   #1
BHPian

Default SX4 Petrol / SX4 Diesel (To be launched) / NHC VTEC+ / NNHC (To be launched) ?

Folks,

I want to upgrade to a sedan from my existing Santro Xing. My monthly average is around 2000 Km with long distance Interstate drives twice a year for vacations (Continous 600 Km interstate drives). My annual mileage is usually around 20K - 24K KM.

I want a car that's safe on the highways, good for city driving and also not a fuel hog, I just can't make up my mind on the below.

1. SX4 Petrol - The ZXI model seems an excellent buy and value for money, but I also heard that it's not very fuel efficient. Can anyone suggest what is the normal city mileage users get in city with A/C on 100% of the time ?

2. SX4 Diesel (To be launched) - Does anyone know when this model will be launched ? Also any idea what would be the price difference from the petrol ZXI ? I'm wondering if the higher cost for the diesel engine would be worth it considering my monthly mileage or whether it's better to just go in for the petrol ZXI. I'm also not sure when they might launch the vehicle.

3. NHC VTEC+ - The only option for ABS/Air Bags is in the VTEC option. I do feel the vehicle is over priced and am worried that once I pick it up the resale value would totally drop once the new version of City gets launched later this year. What do you feel ?

4. NNHC (To be launched) - Considering that we would most likely get the new iVTEC engines (1.3L and 1.5L iVTEC's) this seems to be a worthwhile option to wait for. I'm only wondering if Honda would be reasonable in setting the price for the new vehicle or they would go overboard with the pricing the way it is for the VTEC plus today. I'm also not sure if they would launch the vehicle this year and if it would be worth the long wait.

Your opinions are welcome and would help me in making up my mind. Thanks.

Last edited by autoenthusiast : 18th June 2008 at 21:59. Reason: Added (To be launched) for the car models
autoenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 22:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...time-soon.html (Maruti Suzuki SX4 DDiS: Is it coming anytime soon?)
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 23:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

1. SX4 Petrol - The mileage is not something anyone can boast about . A meagre 9-10 kmpl in the city is what i have heard from everyone

2. SX4 Diesel (To be launched) - I dont see Maruti producing one in the near future. Already they are full with bookings and have high delivery times, so SX4 diesel doesnt look anywhere close to production (My opinion)

3. NHC VTEC+ - Your thinking is quite true. over priced and not worth as re sale would dip a lot.

4. NNHC (To be launched) - Its coming by diwali and i think it will rock the segment. 100+ bhp powerhouses and i guess this time like the accord, they will price it proper( in my opinion the accord is not over priced for a car its class)

IMHO, you should wait for the NNHC and the furthur announcements on the SX4 Deisel. I think you wont mind waiting for a slight period.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 00:10   #4
Team-BHP Support

How much can you wait? Wait for Fiat to announce the new line up, diesels should be very interesting buy for you.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 00:44   #5
BHPian

since your drive > 2000 kms / month, and also highway driving. why not a good diesel, verna would be a good choice and in ur budget.
drkunaldas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 01:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

You could even try waiting for the new fiat linea
i think it will be an awesome car if comes with a 1.9 MJD
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 07:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

With a running of 2000kms a month diesel makes more sense. Verna and the soon to be launched fiesta with the 1.6l engine are good options. If you can stretch your budget by a lakh or so optra magnum is real VFM.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 09:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Verna SX Crdi is the best buy.
It has all features,power and FE.
Try a TD.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 10:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Buddy for your running Diesel is the best option. I think you should include Fiat Linea D and Fiesta D(try waiting for sometime & we might get the 1.6 l D).
But if you insist on petrol i would advice you to wait for the 09 Honda City.
I dont see SX4 Diesel launch in the near future with huge waiting periods of Dzire and Swift. It should take MSIL a year atleast to reduce the wait periods.
So my two cents 09 HC!
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 11:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Abhinav, I would like o correct you on the SX4 fuel consumption. It returns 12 km in city with AC and touches 14 kmpl on highways unless you are driving really aggressively.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 12:11   #11

Default Sx4 Fe

I get an FE of 12-13 with AC in Thane. But again the traffic and the road conditions in Thane are much better than Mumbai.
aurindam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 12:43   #12
BHPian

Hello All, thanks for the quick responses.

Quote:
abhinav.gupta88: 3. NHC VTEC+ - Your thinking is quite true. over priced and not worth as re sale would dip a lot.
Thanks Abhinav, I thought so too... I'll drop this car off my radar.

Thanks Jaggu, the latest I can wait is till Diwali this year since in end Nov/Early Dec I intend to drive interstate for my holiday. I like the FIAT vehicles but have never been too happy with the way I feel their resale drops. End of the 5 year period I'd atleast expect my vehicle to fetch me some money for my next upgrade.

Quote:
drkunaldas: since your drive > 2000 kms / month, and also highway driving. why not a good diesel, verna would be a good choice and in ur budget.
Thanks Kunal, but considering that the NNHC iVTEC engines might give a good mileage, it just might make sense to go for it if the price is reasonable.

Quote:
aks_karthik: Verna SX Crdi is the best buy.
It has all features,power and FE.
Try a TD.
Thanks Karthik, somehow I wanted to try a different manufacturer this time, considering that my current vehicle was from Hyundai.

Quote:
rajneeesh: Abhinav, I would like o correct you on the SX4 fuel consumption. It returns 12 km in city with AC and touches 14 kmpl on highways unless you are driving really aggressively.
Thanks Rajneesh, but I'm a bit surprised since I seem to have read 9 - 10KM in couple of places. Is your driving mainly in a metro ? My driving would be primarily in Pune traffic. Can someone else too provide feedback on the mileage of the current SX4. This would be with the A/C running 100% of the time.

I feel I might most probably wait for the NNHC to launch if it's around Oct/Nov this year and then decide... .but I'm already getting a bit restless and might go in for an upgrade earlier.
Old 19th June 2008, 13:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

You have not specified your budget, but by the looks of it, if you strech it a wee bit, the ideal car for you would be the Mitsu Cedia, IMO- big, peppy, hoot to drive and quite good on FE as well- better than teh SX4
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 13:38   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Given the kms you do and given the fact that petrol prices are only going to go northwards plus the fact that litre-to-litre, a diesel car would give more FE than a petrol one, it would be best if you just brush away all the petrol cars from your wishlist and think of a good diesel that meets your needs.

Forget the SX4-P, the NHC (any variant), forget any petrol. Period.

I never imagined I would be saying this, but given the circumstances and your requirement, I have no option but to tell you to "Go Diesel".
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 13:42   #15
BHPian

Hi Himanshu, thanks....well after a lot of stretching and stretching and stretching... it went to a max of around 9 - 9.5.... but if I do get something for lesser than it's perfect. What's the Cedia OTR price ? Also isn't the maintenance cost of the Cedia higher ?