Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 19th June 2008, 22:12   #16
BHPian

hi,
Thanks for your input.
First I planned to buy a new car but postponed because of the following reasons.
1. Uncertainty over fuel prices and no clear visibility on non-conventional cars like hybrid and electric cars.
2. A lot of new good cars are going to be introduced like GP,Linea,Yaris,New indica hybrid etc., so I can invest in a good car if i wait for some time.

Why Diesel cars
I usually takes long trips mostly to my native place and some good trips to hill stations.

As I moved out of chennai for a short term I need a car for the stop gap arrangement.
I am planning to hold this used car for another 12-18 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
Hey ForeRunner! Welcome to Team-Bhp...

First, tell us, why you are thinking of buying a used car... Is it the sound of the diesel or the sound of the money that you'd save by driving a diesel?
ForeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 00:06   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Boss,

here are some thoughts:
a. Today, zero line of sight on good hybrids.
b. Old is old is old. You will get most cars at 70-100k km down. Which means that they will have some or the other problems waiting to crop up. And you want to use them on highways. Not a very great idea IMHO.

Instead buy a better used car that holds resale well. You may lose about 20-30k more by expanding your budget but get a car that's newer and lesser prone for issues (had you been city driver, nothing matters). Plus with you being outta Chennai, who'll be there to sort out niggles?

And my vote's with PalioD because I've seen a few very decent specimens! Best wishes...
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 00:10   #18
BHPian

What's your monthly drive? Above 1800 kms? Then diesel makes sense. Else I would stay away.

Is CNG available in Chennai? Santro CNG (NEW) could be a GREAT option!

Worst case, pick up a used Alto (gives 16+ KMPL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
hi,
Thanks for your input.
First I planned to buy a new car but postponed because of the following reasons.
1. Uncertainty over fuel prices and no clear visibility on non-conventional cars like hybrid and electric cars.
2. A lot of new good cars are going to be introduced like GP,Linea,Yaris,New indica hybrid etc., so I can invest in a good car if i wait for some time.

Why Diesel cars
I usually takes long trips mostly to my native place and some good trips to hill stations.

As I moved out of chennai for a short term I need a car for the stop gap arrangement.
I am planning to hold this used car for another 12-18 months.
barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 18:11   #19
BHPian

Hi barcode,
Quote:
What's your monthly drive? Above 1800 kms? Then diesel makes sense. Else I would stay away.
Even though I am going to drive for close to 1500Km in a month the cost advantage of diesel car is around 3000 Rs per month ( I took 14Kmpl for diesel car vs 12 Kmpl for a petrol one for calculation)

Quote:
Is CNG available in Chennai? Santro CNG (NEW) could be a GREAT option!
Even LPG is very rare in chennai. CNG may come only after 12 months.

Quote:
Worst case, pick up a used Alto (gives 16+ KMPL)
I am looking for a car for highway travel. I don't think alto is suitable for this.

any way thanks for your suggestion.
Old 20th June 2008, 19:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest a lancer. The Ikon is a bad choice, whereas, the with the palio, you may have some problem with sourcing spares.
Accent CRDi's have been known to give complaints after around 80K kms, Duno how much of it is true, can someone confirm this??
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 20:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Accent CRDi's have been known to give complaints after around 80K kms, Duno how much of it is true, can someone confirm this??

Yes, I have heard that, too, that problems crop up in Accent CRDi after 70-80 K kms. Especially fuel pump problems. Besides, Accent CRDi do not come for around 3 lakhs. Here in Vizag, asking price for '05-'06 Accent CRDi is around 5 to 5.5 lakhs which sounds crazy to me because for nearly that price one can pick up a brand new Swift D.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 20:48   #22
Awaiting Email Confirmation

if not given the right fuel and if not given regular maintenance(as recommended by hyundai) the accent will have trouble. but know 3 accent CRDIs that have run beyond 1 lakh without trouble. one of them has done 1.5 lakhs.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 21:33   #23
BHPian

Hi ForeRunner,
Going by the nature of your use, a Palio D will be a good choice, but, you are also waiting for the new launches. In that case, you wont get good resale value on the Palio.

Why not try for an Esteem D or a Zen D, though, both are quite rare. But, you will get the reliable MUL service backup. A decent Accent CRDi can be an option as well, but, you might need to stretch your budget a bit.
Saurabh M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 22:27   #24

Default Lancer is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
Hi Jeep,
Thanks for your valuable inputs.
My dad already has an Indica and I feet the quality of TATA cars is poor. I think except FE and Low maintenance cost we can't expect anything from Indica.
Except for the Low maintenance part. I own the Junkindica.

If you are going for a second hand diesel its better to stick to normally aspirated cars and of the three the most reliable of the lot is the lancer. getting spares for the Palio1.9 engine will be an issue in a few years time. Both the Palio and the Lancer will last yo a long time if you take care of it and you were not conned in the first place. For 3 lakhs you are liable to get a battered Lancer and a slightly newer Palio as the market perception of FIAT brand is not good though they make the most solid cars in India for the money you pay.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 06:47   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
Why not try for an Esteem D or a Zen D, though, both are quite rare. But, you will get the reliable MUL service backup
the esteem D is unbelievably slow.
the Zen D is faster than the petrol zen, in a straight line. but if you drive like me, you'll be spending on the front suspension every 25k kilometers.

pick between the lancer/palio/accent

palio 1.9 will come last in my list because of spares issues.
accent would come first for straight line performance.
lancer would be the practical choice. spacious, reliable and average performer
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 12:28   #26
BHPian

ForeRunner - Welcome to the forum.

I own a lancer which has done 1,72,000kms now and I tell you its as reliable as the sun.No hiccups , not much decrease in FE or acceleration.But I tell you the cost of spare parts is very high and the wear of some parts like front suspension I feel is a bit high than the other cars in question.At the end of the day I think its better you go for a new Indica or something as maintaining a lancer is not the cheapest thing to do . If you want any information on the cost of spares etc do let me know.Btw if you particular about getting a lancer try getting the old versions[Pre-2001].I feel the overall smoothness of the old ones are much higher.
Veelubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 13:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Out of the cars you have mentioned, Palio D is a good deal. The resale value is less, but then it means that you can find one relatively less kms done car within your budget.

Given your budget, if its not strictly 3.0 lakhs, then go ahead and buy a new diesel Indica.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 14:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

[quote=drpullockaran;874208]
If you are going for a second hand diesel its better to stick to normally aspirated cars and of the three the most reliable of the lot is the lancer.

You are very right. The advantage with Naturally Aspirated diesels is that there is no turbo, no intercooler that can go bust later. Since what you don't have doesn't break down, to that extent you are insulated. Turbos in diesel cars are abused in that very few people observe the rule of idling for 60 seconds after start up and before hot engine shut down. This reduces life of turbo.

Mr. Veelubai, the cost of spares of Lancer have come down drastically in recent years. I have picked up a 2000 Jan. model white Lancer D for 3 lakhs, two months ago. It had already done 1.27 lakhs and in two months since I bought this, I have added 3500 Kms. Yes, it is very relaible and runs like a new car. Even in early morning chill at 0400 Hours, the car starts up at half crank. You don't even have to wait for the glow plug light to go off. Pick up is slow if you comapare with CRDis and that is the only negative point. But for customisation, Lancer again is a very good car.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 23:23   #29
BHPian

Pgsagar - The cost of spares have come down drastically but when compared to some cars in question like indigo, accent, lancer is still more expensive.Telling you because I own both an Accent and a lancer.The former is a petrol though.
Veelubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 14:52   #30
BHPian

Thanks dear,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veelubai View Post
At the end of the day I think its better you go for a new Indica or something as maintaining a lancer is not the cheapest thing to do .
As we already have an Indica I don't prefer to go for it. And also I am going to keep this car for 12-18 months (if the car is so good i will keep it for some more time )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veelubai View Post
If you want any information on the cost of spares etc do let me know.Btw if you particular about getting a lancer try getting the old versions[Pre-2001].
Really thanks for your help I will PM you if i need any information.

Thanks,