Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 23rd July 2008, 14:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
The RS is purely a buyer's market.
Reason: They manage to give about 6kmpl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
That is a an overstatement. If you are stuck in traffic, idling yes, but I get around 8 in town and 10 on a good day when traffic flows
But, do you think that really matters when you buy a VRS ? You wouldn't/shouldn't be seen near a vehicle like that if you are working out kmpl.

P.S even at 6kmpl, it would be cheaper than our local autos
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:19   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh, yes. Anything would be cheaper than Chennai autos.

BTW, at 7lacs, if I get the fun of driving an RS, I would not really mind the sub-10kmpl FE. Just that I would not use it as a daily drive and keep it just as a track and fun driving only car. Though the infamous Skoda maintenance costs will have me worried, especially this being a used car.

@headers, this looks like a nice car meeting the requirements of a FTD car that you were looking out for. And maybe the oft-advertised double-bed boot of the car could handle the load-carrying requirements you have ie being able to lug around a barrel or two. You could just fly over the R.K.Salai flyover straight into the lane turning to your home.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Seems you have been bitten by the RS bug , so are you getting rid of your Lancer ? I can almost see the writing on the wall - Phoenix II on the anvil !!!!!!!
Let's just say I am keeping my options (and eyes) open!
And no, there will never be another Phoenix
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:25   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
I think you are getting a great deal and if a performer like that can return 16-17kmpl on diesel i would sell the house and live in the RS instead.

Well how does it affect the mileage anyway?

Does the extra weight of a tankful of fuel do some thing?
I am confused...
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Now where did the diesel come into the picture from ?
My Bad %$$^. I was unaware about the fuel the RS drinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
When dustDevil (in his quote below) mentioned an FE of 16-17kmpl with a smiley at the end, I thought he was jokingly exaggerating about the legendary low FE of the RS and saying that it gives 17kms for a full tank of petrol.

Even with driving on the Pune/Surat highways, there is no way IMO the RS can return 16-17 kmpl, however controlled the driving is. And anyway on highways with a clear road in front of you, how controlled can a person be when he is behind the wheel of a car like the RS ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustDevil View Post
My dad drives an RS too and it has run 1.32 Lakh KMs without any major glitches.
And guess what... with controlled(and I realy mean it) driving he consistently manages around 16-17 kmpl on a tankfull.
HE really meant what???
Controlled driving or 16-17 Kmpl.

Dad's "in general" and (I can surely say bout mine) are good drivers and can extract a good mileage too.
motorheadinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 19:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Let's just say I am keeping my options (and eyes) open!
And no, there will never be another Phoenix

Reading between the lines - I think either the Phoenix is too close to your heart OR you are thoroughly disappointed...guess I'll leave it at that.

Why don't you also look at the 1.9 TDi ? Of course it is another animal all together, but it does 15-16 kmpl on diesel..so if your running justifies it think of a diesel option as well. Also there would be enough diesel options to choose from.

Just my POV !!!

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 21:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reading between the lines - I think either the Phoenix is too close to your heart OR you are thoroughly disappointed...guess I'll leave it at that.
Well, Phoenix is definitely very close to my heart....
Quote:
Why don't you also look at the 1.9 TDi ? Of course it is another animal all together, but it does 15-16 kmpl on diesel..so if your running justifies it think of a diesel option as well. Also there would be enough diesel options to choose from.
My running doesn't justify a diesel, and the 1.9 TDi has never really been on my radar.

From what I've read/heard ,there are basically 2 major cons that come to mind while contemplating buying an RS:
1. Less FE
2. Dodgy A.S.S and costly spare parts

#1 is something that one can expect from most petrol cars that cost 14L+ OTR, especially those with performance-oriented engines. So IMHO, if someone is stepping into that territory, then he must be prepared to sacrifice a 2 digit FE figure.
#2 is more relevant. Again, the higher up the chain you go, the more you've got to shell out for spare parts... comes with the territory. A.S.S is the only area that I feel is a relevant concern, because Skoda's competition is undoubtedly doing a better job in this department.

So that's the judgement call that one has to make. Is a Skoda Octavia vRS worth it? I don't think too many owners will disagree
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 09:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Am guessing Gurudev motors isn't in Kolkata
Full points to you & JK Steel radials!!!!

Yes - my post was intended for RedSfx

Also Razor - to your checklist - add inspection of leakage in Sunroof! can be quite a mess if your sunroof suddenly springs a leak!

Last edited by madan80 : 24th July 2008 at 09:21.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 09:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

@razor

Well then the RS it is !! Great car with great performance with all bells & whistles etc. etc. Having owned a Skoda 1.9 TDi for 3 years now, I can say that the car is as reliable as they come.

Spares are expensive, but you would not need many. Things lke the timing belt has to be changed at around 60K - 80K which is expensive & not changing it would lead to further trouble / expense in case it gives way.

The electricals are fairly reliable. Have not come across any car which has caused electrical problems, inspite of people putting in high powered lights, serious ICE upgrades etc. Basically the Germans know their engineering, hence relatively reliable cars.

The RS will consume brake pads if driven hard
It will cost a fair bit replacing head & tail lamps
Suspension is trouble free (my experiance) My car has done 28k & so far the suspension & everything else seems like new.

All & all a great car PROVIDED you find a low mileage non-abused car. So look hard & have it checked on the scanner at a Skoda workshop, BEFORE you commit yourself to a purchase.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 24th July 2008 at 09:38.
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 23:18   #39
BHPian

If the car is in yellow and have BBS RD 17" wheels. I heard this car have some problem.

If you want any help reg Skoda do let me know.

Regards,
PJ

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th August 2008 at 23:20. Reason: Excessive dots removed. See note.
PJSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 09:52   #40
BHPian

Default help!!

Guys,

I am still looking out for an RS. If anybody knows of any RS up for sale in Chennai please do let me know. Prerequisites are the car should be in good condition.

Cheers
redsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 18:14   #41
Senior - BHPian

hey red sfx,
intrested in a car from hyd? there is an very well maintained silver rs here,2006 model. guy is quoting 8.10 lacs non negotiable.
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 22:47   #42
BHPian

aadix: Prefer picking up a car in Chennai as it will be a huge hassle otherwise.
Old 11th August 2008, 23:04   #43
BHPian

What happened to the last one ? And you HAVE made up your mind ?
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 00:45   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
I think you are getting a great deal and if a performer like that can return 16-17kmpl on diesel i would sell the house and live in the RS instead.

Well how does it affect the mileage anyway?

Does the extra weight of a tankful of fuel do some thing?
I am confused...

OOPS i posted twice. Bad internet connection. Is there any way to delete this......

mate skoda RS is petrol right?
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 10:09   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
What happened to the last one ? And you HAVE made up your mind ?
I have lost track of that car. My lancer is getting sold out this week.So will start a serious search this weekend.