Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 8th July 2008, 16:41   #31
BHPian

Corolla is a good car and u might get a 2004 model also if you can go upto 5.5 lacks
you can also try to look at cedia also i have seen 2006 model cedia going to 5.7 lacks
but i am not sure about the chennai prices though
rubin2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 17:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
What has been the experience of say Qualis/Old City owners.
No problem with the OHC. Parts are available off the shelf both at Honda & at after market dealers.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 17:05   #33
Team-BHP Support

Having driven a Carolla once, i must confess its an awesome car and i was particularly impressed with its quickness and build quality.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 17:07   #34
BHPian

Two things you need to be aware of....

1. The 2003 Corolla was not equipped with ABS and was the only car beyond the 10L price range NOT to have tubless tyres...yes, you heard it right and this is one of the reasons for the harsh ride quality. However, please check if tubeless tyres were put when the stock tyres were changed.
2. The suspension was revised in the 2005 Corolla to give a better ride, so the suspension of the 2003 model will feel stiffer.

Also, am not exactly sure if the 6-CD changer of the 2003 Corolla plays MP3 discs.....better reconfirm this as well.

Apart from the above, the car runs like a dream. The engine is a gem and it is pretty good on the fuel economy factor too. My Corolla gives me a consistent mileage of 11 kmpl with AC on in the city. Add the Toyota bullet-proof reliability to it and you can rest assured that it will never let you down.

Last edited by samirsarkar : 8th July 2008 at 17:09.
samirsarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 17:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

There shouldn't be a problem with spare parts with most companies as they keep generally have enough stock to last around 10years.
@Samir - The old corolla had a regular 6CD Changer. The new ones had MP3.

Like I said, the corolla is an amazing car and is no doubt very reliable. Its only negatives are the suspension and build quality. Most of these issues were sorted out in the facelifted variants.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 17:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirsarkar View Post
Two things you need to be aware of....
The 2005 version has tubeless. Not sure why tyres were changed so early (40K).
Present model plays MP3+CD. Not many functions though as you would get in an aftermarket.
I am not sure whether the present Corolla has a harsh ride.

try to get the `new' old Corolla (2005-06) onwards if you can get it and afford it. You can easily get it for not much of an extra cost.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 17:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

@Vasudeva - The newer Corolla has much better build quality and ride. I saw the new one at the showroom last year and I was impressed with the car. The top of the line version had a richer feeling about it then our corolla.
Also, I think the original tyres were the Bridgestone Turanza ER 30 which came stock on the Accord and though I don't know how well they should last on a Corolla, on our Accord, they did around 27-30Kkm.
Old 8th July 2008, 17:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Also, I think the original tyres were the Bridgestone Turanza ER 30 which came stock on the Accord and though I don't know how well they should last on a Corolla, on our Accord, they did around 27-30Kkm.
Nope, Corolla's have only ever come fitted with Bridgestone Potenza RE88 in 195/60 R15.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 17:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

This may give you some idea about the FE that I achieve on an AT Corolla. Increase in winters and since Feb. Costs have gone up recently.

used car for 5L - is Toyota Corolla the way to go??-doc1.jpg
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 19:32   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post

What has been the experience of say Qualis/Old City owners.
So far, everything is excellent in the parts availability side of the story.
And keeping Toyota's tradition in mind, I don't think there would be any severe problems in the very near future.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 09:28   #41
BHPian

My observations:

1. Used car is best bought upfront rather than on loan due to high EMI due to the different Auto loan interest rates for used car segment.

2. Even a well maintained used car is likely (not necessarily) to require parts/tyre change. Keep atleast 10% of your buy price as a buffer for unforseen such expenses.

3. A bigger car would have a higher running cost & parking issues.

Take account of the above for a smooth ownership.
liberal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 17:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

@iraghava - Sorry. I seem to have gotten confused. I think one of the times that we replaced the tyre we got the Turanza ER30 and maybe that's why.
Old 9th July 2008, 17:44   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal View Post
My observations:

1. Used car is best bought upfront rather than on loan due to high EMI due to the different Auto loan interest rates for used car segment.

2. Even a well maintained used car is likely (not necessarily) to require parts/tyre change. Keep atleast 10% of your buy price as a buffer for unforseen such expenses.

3. A bigger car would have a higher running cost & parking issues.

Take account of the above for a smooth ownership.
Very valid points liberal.

The higher EMI is due to reduced tenure and higher interest rates.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 19:16   #44
BHPian

hey guys.... sorry i havent been updating you people about the updates.

@liberal : i wish i didn't have to take a loan. but then i do. so now i am just negotiating for the lowest interest rate. i think 16.5% is as low as it goes for used cars. lets see. and i have some money put off for unforseen expenses. that money was actually for ICE. but i feel it would be better off kept as maintenance money. besides that part of my maintenance will be borne by the company. so will the fuel bills. so all that is some sort of savings.

@vasudeva : wow! thats really in detail. and looks like with a manual i can get 10 kmpl at least inside city. thats good enough for me.

the cars i am talking about have had their tyres recently changed. which means i might not have to worry about that at least for the next 20k kms. the only thing that bothers me is that the stock HU doesnt play mp3 cds. and as all of you following this thread will know i cannot upgrade that for a while. so i was thinking mayb i should go for an ipod and get itrip along with it. may not give me great quality sound but what other cheaper choices do i have??
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 20:09   #45
BANNED

The head unit you are talking about is pathetic. Mine conked off only.
Please people give a fair idea as to which 1din player would fit in properly in place of original?

Corolla past 05 model with suspension changes also rides bad, as i got it changed to mine 04 model & results were similar.
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote