Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 9th July 2008, 20:25   #46
BANNED

Angry C H E A P ? ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
.............. i should go for an ipod and get itrip along with it. may not give me great quality sound but what other cheaper choices do i have??
Ipod is cheap???
I think it is better to get an entry level HU rather than just getting an Ipod unless you have bigger ICEing plans up ahead.

Please use capitals where it is necessary. Will make the posts very much less confusing and easy to read.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 21:20   #47
BHPian

@bhp1 : 2005 and above models go way above my budget so bad suspension or not i will have to live with a 2004 model. the cars i have driven have run 54k kms and the suspension seems fine. its not brilliant but certainly not something i would complain about.

@speedzak : will type in bold where required from now on. so anyway i said i pod is cheaper for me at the moment since i can get a 30gb video ipod from a friend who isn't using it after he got his iphone. and i didnt think itrip would be expensive. but even so my expense is within 2.5k.

i wanted to get a double din player for the corolla as a replacement for the stock HU. but the current prices are not something i can afford for now. and single din players fit very oddly in the corolla. maybe thats just me or maybe its because of the high mounting position for the stock HU.

if anyone has any suggestion please let me know. should i go in for a cheap pioneer HU for now and upgrade when i have the cash?? or should i just wait??
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 02:35   #48
BANNED

Oh my god!

If you're getting a free iPod, then it's fine. A normal FM transmitter with an aux in will also do the job of getting the songs to the HU. This will be the cheapest option.

A very good installation can be done with a single din HU. It matters where you get it done from.

No! Don't get any cheap Pioneer HU if you have any plan of ICE upgrade in the near future. If you're planning for a HU right now, then get one which atleast offers 3pre outs. That will cost you minimum +/-6k and north.

Baba! CAPITALS means CAPS and not bold. Please read your post again and see where it should be applied and not. (This explains the Frustrati smilie on the beginning of this post).
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 10:08   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Oh my god!

If you're getting a free iPod, then it's fine. A normal FM transmitter with an aux in will also do the job of getting the songs to the HU. This will be the cheapest option.

A very good installation can be done with a single din HU. It matters where you get it done from.

No! Don't get any cheap Pioneer HU if you have any plan of ICE upgrade in the near future. If you're planning for a HU right now, then get one which atleast offers 3pre outs. That will cost you minimum +/-6k and north.

Baba! CAPITALS means CAPS and not bold. Please read your post again and see where it should be applied and not. (This explains the Frustrati smilie on the beginning of this post).
i thought it would be rude to type in CAPS. thats whay i used BOLD instead.

anyway. does toyota provide a panel just like maruti does so that we can fix aftermarket single din HU's? under 10k is fine. i just found out i had some money stashed away .

now about the car. i have put the 2004 corolla on hold. my father has some friends in coimbatore who have promised to hunt for a nice car by the weekend. in general i've heard cars from coimbatore have lesser miles on them and are very well maintained. i have not experienced this first hand and so i will know only when i am shown a car.
Old 10th July 2008, 11:22   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

flipsyde, this thread (Experiences with a used car - Corolla H1) would be of use to you.

Also, about the CAPS that zak mentions, he is referring to using Capital for the 1st letter of the sentence - makes text easier to read.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 10th July 2008 at 11:27.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 12:31   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
anyway. does toyota provide a panel just like maruti does so that we can fix aftermarket single din HU's? under 10k is fine. i just found out i had some money stashed away .
Why dont you use normal CDs until you can afford a double din with GPS etc. That would be a great option.

Quote:
in general i've heard cars from coimbatore have lesser miles on them and are very well maintained. i have not experienced this first hand and so i will know only when i am shown a car.
They also come much more costlier. But those days are gone now. Coimby guys have also become very materialistic now.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 13:19   #52
BHPian

Quote:

i can go upto paying 15k a month as my EMI. and i can muster up about 1.5L upfront. maybe more. so i guess i should be alright.
if you can manage these figures I think ,depending on your preference you can easily manage a new ZXi sx4
abhijit 2284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 14:20   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
flipsyde, this thread (Experiences with a used car - Corolla H1) would be of use to you.

Also, about the CAPS that zak mentions, he is referring to using Capital for the 1st letter of the sentence - makes text easier to read.
Thanks SB. In fact I had gone thru that thread just this morning. Didn't know until then that liberal had a Corolla.

Thanks for clearing up what speedzak wanted. I didn't understand him when he told me the first time.

@speedzak : Sorry bro, didn't get you the first time. Will type normally from now on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Why dont you use normal CDs until you can afford a double din with GPS etc. That would be a great option.

Thats a pretty good option. But somehow don't you think it would be easier to browse thru music on a single player rather than hassle around with CD's especially when I am driving. Nevertheless I will consider this option.

They also come much more costlier. But those days are gone now. Coimby guys have also become very materialistic now.
Thats really bad news for me. I wish that wasn't true. I was hoping to rack up a good deal out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284 View Post
if you can manage these figures I think ,depending on your preference you can easily manage a new ZXi sx4
Hi Abhijit. I think you have calculated for a period of 5 years. Haven't you?? My current loan repayment period would be 3 years.

UPDATE : Just got a call from a friend. He says there is a Single owner 2005 Corolla H2 White colour run 55k kms for sale in Nanganallur. He says the asking price is 5.5L neg. Lets me see the car and try to seal the deal.

Further updates once I see the car. Can anyone tell me if the 2005 Corollas came the revised suspension setup and ABS??
Old 10th July 2008, 14:43   #54
Senior - BHPian

I think late-2005 onwards Corollas had a better setup. However, the older Corolla had a better front grill and better rear lights (in my opinion).
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 15:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

What i meant is for you to bite the bullet for a while until you can afford a dandy double din HU with GPS & navigation.

I am sure you wont need more than 12 CDs in your car at a time, maybe more for long trips. Just a matter of mindset.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 15:42   #56
BHPian

Default My two cents

Here are my two cents. Toyota Corolla is in fact a good car to own. It does run a very long life. But if maintained well which car doesn’t? But I would like to clear some misconceptions. Someone was suggesting that a Corolla’s fuel efficiency is 10 to 13.5. But I would suggest with my experience that you can expect atmost 9 kmpl. Corolla is not a fun to drive car. On the other hand it’s a very bland car. It is as bland as an Indigo. Corolla’s suspension is soft and this could mislead one during a test drive. Toyota running at 1lakh plus kilometers is not really a big deal. If you don’t believe me, next time you take a Tata Indica taxi ask the diver how many kilometers it has run. The fact is that may modern day engines do not wear out. But in the Indian scenario, it is not just the engine that matters. Suspension takes the first hit. Also Toyota 2003 model never came with ABS as a standard. ABS was an option, though. By the way I am not against Toyota. Infact Corolla 2003 was my first car. But I am just alerting the enquirer not to have very high expectations about the car. Moreover, there was a discussion on the ease of use of a 6 cd changer. Browsing between the CDs is just about as difficult as browsing within the CD. Only that you use a different button. Only thing in a 2003 Corolla is that the you have to reach out for the buttons while driving. Check this out during the test drive and you will know what I mean. It does not come with any remote controls.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 10th July 2008 at 15:48.
sridhga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 18:05   #57
BANNED

@ sridga:

Youve nailed it pretty right.
True it returns - 8/9 kmpl in town.
FUN to drive factor is completely missing.
Completely bland car.
TOYOTA in india has skimped on reliability also.
SUSPENSION is poor & non complaint.
6 cd changer is a slouch & one has to reach out for buttons.
EXPECTATIONS! my foot , its a hopeless package.

Last edited by bhp1 : 10th July 2008 at 18:07.
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 18:25   #58
BHPian

Whatever you select remember one thing. even if you sell a 2nd hand corolla after 3 years of use, you will still get better resale value compared to all other cars.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 18:59   #59
Senior - BHPian

Buy a Ford Fiesta instead or maybe an SX4. Toyota isn't much fun to drive and the old ones had a terrible suspension.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 20:02   #60
Senior - BHPian

If you have not wasted your money on an old Corolla, buy a new Cedia, which is more fun and exciting. Plus, it is going to be around for ages, unlike the soon to be phased out model (of Corolla).
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote