Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 23rd July 2008, 17:21   #76
Senior - BHPian

Have you got the car yet ? A major treat is in the offing i feel.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 01:01   #77
BHPian

Hey guys. Took delivery of the car today. Its fabulous. Just wish it had a better music system. Anyway that has been taken care of with the ipod. Might add an woofer and subsequently better speakers and then a double DIN HU in that order.

Now I am looking at getting the 3M detailing done on the outside and inside. Interiors are a little dirty and a good clean up should brighten things.

Yes John. I shall treat not only you but all the other T-Bhpians by making myself present at the next meet.

Things I noticed in the 30kms that I have driven today -
1) Ride quality is quite rubbish.
2) Revv friendly engine but feels best when kept within 4k rpm.
3)They fitted a mouse instead of a horn. Really dumb - whoever came up with that. What the hell were they thinking????
4) The brakes are really sharp and those MRF tyres are certainly outta place. Need to look at replacing them with Bridgestone soon even though the MRFs have plenty of tread left on them. Almost 80%.
5) The remote locking went on strike after dinner and refused to work. Have to get that checked ASAP. Right now key lock works just fine.

Thats it for now. Should go for its 50k kms service on Monday. A friend of mine was thoughtful enough to gift me a 4L can of Castrol EDGE. (Would have prefered an Airfreshner and a nice Keychain but anyway!!!) So how good is this fully synthetic oil. Should I just ask the service centre to flush the engine and add this??

I'd like to thank all those who have given your very valuable suggestions to help me out with my purchase.
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 02:53   #78
Team-BHP Support

Thumbs up Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
MODS I have booked this car so I guess it shouldn't be a problem if I put the regn. no. up on the forum. If its a problem feel free to remove it. Spare me the infraction.
Hey! It's your car. If you're OK with putting up the number, we have no issues. Some people don't like their number displayed is all - some people don't mind.

Quote:
MRF tyres are certainly outta place. Need to look at replacing them with Bridgestone soon even though the MRFs have plenty of tread left on them. Almost 80%.

Thats it for now. Should go for its 50k kms service on Monday. A friend of mine was thoughtful enough to gift me a 4L can of Castrol EDGE. (Would have prefered an Airfreshner and a nice Keychain but anyway!!!) So how good is this fully synthetic oil. Should I just ask the service centre to flush the engine and add this??
Why not replace the tyres when they wear out? You won't get much of a price advantage by replacing them right now if they've still got some tread left on them.

Yeah, you can ask them to put in the synthetic oil - why not! But you'll probably have to stick to synthetic for future services. From the service records you can figure out what kind of oil was previously used in the engine.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 09:27   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'd like to thank all those who have given your very valuable suggestions to help me out with my purchase.
From what I have heard from Toyota service and dealers, synthetic oil is not recommended in Corolla (and could even go against the warranty).

IMHO, ride quality is quite good and one of the positives of the Corolla. Is it ride or tyres or loose parts. I have seen that once a door is painted, there is a need for regular greasing at around 3-4K intervals. This may be because the dealers cannot perhaps match the Toyota factory fit. May be my perception, but in my car, the left doors (painted) need greasing, whereas the right door panels make no noise at all, even at 28K of driving.

If it is 50K, why not change the tyres to bridgestone or even better michelin.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 10:18   #80
Senior - BHPian

Congrats pal. Here's wishing you miles of happiness.
So when is the party ?
Old 25th July 2008, 11:23   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys. Took delivery of the car today. Its fabulous.
Congrats on the car.

I took delivery of my preowned Elantra yesterday after discussing at tbhp here (Urgent: Used Elantra CRDi swap with Palio 1.9D - To go or not?).

Hope your ride stays up to your expectations. Happy and Safe Driving.
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 12:36   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats, flipsyde. Nice car you got. Do bring it to the next meet, whenever it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78
Why not replace the tyres when they wear out? You won't get much of a price advantage by replacing them right now if they've still got some tread left on them.
I agree with aah78, though my concern is not about the price advantage, but about avoiding wastage of a resource. 80% tread is almost like new. Use it till they wear out and then change the tyres. Not only do you save money, but also do your bit for the environment.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 13:05   #83
Senior - BHPian

It would be a pain driving in those MRFs knowing well what a huge difference it would make if you are on michelin/yokohomas. Moreover, these tyres could be kept for the track days.
Old 25th July 2008, 13:21   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Would running a bit lower psi on the tyres not better the ride quality, John ? Just wondering out aloud of a possibility instead of dumping almost-new tyres and getting new ones.

I for one, always wonder what the big deal is about tyres. Always have used the stock tyres (MRF, JK, Bridgestone or whatever) that came with our cars and never noticed any difference. Ofcourse I am not talking about the stability part here, but from the ride quality POV.

Must be because my knowledge on tyres and the different types is very limited, but still sometimes I feel on the forum we go a little overboard about tyres.

P.S.: Ofcourse if you are getting the Corolla on track, then you could keep the MRFs for the track and go in for new tyres for regular use.
Old 25th July 2008, 14:06   #85
Senior - BHPian

The moment you change your tyres, you will realise what you have missed biju. I had this enlightenment a year ago. Hope you have yours soon.
Old 25th July 2008, 14:17   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep, waiting for that. But first need the current set to wear out. And given the almost new condition they look like even after 25K kms and a track day, I guess it would be ages before I could change.

And BTW, when you are suggesting tyre change for flipsyde's Corolla, is it just the brand (MRF to Michelin/Yokohoma) or also a size change ?
Old 25th July 2008, 14:36   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
when you are suggesting tyre change for flipsyde's Corolla, is it just the brand (MRF to Michelin/Yokohoma) or also a size change ?
I dont think he is looking for that. Just a simple tyre swap.
Old 25th July 2008, 14:49   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

John, will the Michelin/Yokohama (with the exact same profile/spec as the MRFs) have such a big impact on ride quality ? As in improving the current "rubbish ride quality" to a "superb ride quality" ?

BTW, flipsyde, how about posting some pics of the car ? And what is the current psi you are running on the tyres ?
Old 25th July 2008, 22:28   #89
BHPian

@E_L and SupremeBaleno : Guys, I don't think I will be changing my tyre anytime soon. I was offered Rs.600 for my existing MRF Z VTS. That works out to Rs.2400 for the 4 tyres. I can't even get a single good tyre for that price. Good tyres like Bridgestone/Michelin/Yokos cost upwards of Rs.3500 a piece. Pockets aren't deep enough at the moment. So maybe at the end of the year. On the bright side I just found out that the MRF Z VTS currently on the car are tubeless. So i guess thats a good thing for whatever reason.

Ok now about track days......I really don't think the Corolla is the kinda car I want to take trashing around the track. I would leave that to the Esteems, Balenos and Old Honda Citys. As I have said earlier this car as quick as it maybe doesn't like to be rushed. It seems more like a cruiser than a pocket rocket.

@Basilmabraham : Congrats buddy. Hope you like it. Elantra was one of my options but I ruled it out for many reasons.

@Vasudeva : I have given my car for its 50k service today. I requested the service manager at Lanson Toyota, Pallikarnai to load my car up with the synthetic oil. After a minute of thought he says not a problem can be done. The thing is the can of oil that I had was 4 litres. And the car needs 4.7 liters of oil when the oil filter is replaced. This is what i was told. So I now have to source another litre of Castrol EDGE 5W-40. He said worst casse scenario and I don't find another litre in the market he will return my car with 4 litres of oil and I can top up another 700ml when I find it.

I told him about a little rattling and he said most of it should go away with under chassis tightening of nuts and bolts. He said after a through inspection he can give me a more accurate quote of how much all this was going to cost me.

In the meantime I found out that they had an inhouse 3M detailing guy. I have asked him to go ahead and clean all of the interiors for Rs.1970. They were doing a brilliant job on an Innova I was really impressed and signed on immediately. I wanted to get the exterior done too but there are a couple of scratches which need some paint attention first. So I'd probably get that done once the paint job is done in certain places. i was told the exterior would cost me another Rs.1970.

The remote locking system is some aftermarket thing which the A S S refused to touch. He asked me politely to take my remote locking issues elsewhere. Doesn't matter I'l get that one fixed from G P Road.
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008, 09:24   #90
BHPian

Quote:
@E_L and SupremeBaleno :
Ok now about track days......I really don't think the Corolla is the kinda car I want to take trashing around the track. I would leave that to the Esteems, Balenos and Old Honda Citys. As I have said earlier this car as quick as it maybe doesn't like to be rushed. It seems more like a cruiser than a pocket rocket.

First of all, congrats on your purchase. Its an extremely wonderful automobile. Precisely for the points you observed above, I was telling earlier that it is not really a fun to drive car and is a bland automobile. But the other side of it is that it is a well built car in every sense of the word and is what a decent car should be. It is not for speedos but is extremely good for normal daily usage and is a pleasure on the highways. That was also the reason why I was comparing to Indigo etc because those cars as well are not fun to ride but behave well on highways. I personally do not agree to the views that cars cannot be compared across segments. Who created these segments anyways? Its just our mindset. I find some functionality common between a Corolla and an Indigo. Have a nice time and drive safe.

Last edited by sridhga : 26th July 2008 at 09:26.
sridhga is offline   Reply With Quote