Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 14th July 2008, 22:21   #1
BHPian

Default Urgent: Used Elantra CRDi swap with Palio 1.9D - To go or not?

Hi,

I have been thinking about replacing my 2004 Palio D with a sedan for some time now. Today happened to pass near a FirstChoice showroom in Trivandrum, kerala and noticed an Elantra. Went in enquired about the car. Details below

Regd Date: Jun 2005
Miles: 80,000 kms
Single Owner
White colour
Full option car, with ABS, EBD, TCS, Climate control, Alloys, new tyres (two brand new from last owner and two brand new from FirstChoice), integrated stereo, I know it doesnt play MP3 :( etc etc.)

Asking Price is 5,85,000 for a swap with my Palio D (done 66,000 kms, ELX, good tyres with 14" alloys, accident free)

I was offered 2.25 for my old car, so the rest is 3,60,000 to be paid or financed.

I did a short TD and was impressed. The clutch seemed a little heavy (tight) other than that, the car felt rock solid. Suspensions also responded quite well. Its a single owner car and First Choice assures that it is accident free and I kind of trust them (not too sure though) Anyways, my biggest concern is the fact that the car has run 80K kms. Would the crdi engine run smoothly for lets say another 50K. I intend to keep this car for atleast 3 years and may be more, depending upon the condition then.

I have paid a booking amount to block the car for a few days. It seems there are other serious buyers too.

My question to all experienced guys here is, whether this is a good buy? Price wise and model wise. I dont think there is any better options in this price range, considering the goodies on offer in this car. Me and wife are very happy, except for the high mileage on the odo. Please give your thoughts.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 14th July 2008 at 22:24. Reason: more details added.
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 22:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

What is the warranty they are offering ?

IMO, the asking price is slightly on the higher side for a car that has done 80K kms.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 22:33   #3
BHPian

@aaggoswami Thanks for the reply.

FC is giving me a 6 months warranty and 2 free services.

I know its a bit high pricing, but I am getting a decent price for my Palio too. So overall, I feel its a good buy.

Only concern here is about the reliability of the CRDi post 80K. I think the Hyundai warranty on the engine is upto 80K.

Carwale quotes 5,74,000 for a car in good condition from an individual seller.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 14th July 2008 at 22:35. Reason: added carwale quote
Old 14th July 2008, 22:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am not very experienced in case of diesels, and I dont know how much warranty Hyundai offers on powertrains, but the car has done 80K so 1 year warranty is a safer bet. I know it difficult to extend. Actually modern diesel as Elantra is can go upto 1.5 lakh Kms, but it also depends upon how the owner had used the car.

Secondly, Elantra is a phased out model, where as Palio is still in market. I would repeat, IMO, honestly, this is not turning out to be a good deal.

IMO,if you want to change, then sell you Palio and search around for Accent Crdi.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 23:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
I did a short TD and was impressed. The clutch seemed a little heavy (tight) other than that, the car felt rock solid. Suspensions also responded quite well. Its a single owner car and First Choice assures that it is accident free and I kind of trust them (not too sure though) Anyways, my biggest concern is the fact that the car has run 80K kms. Would the crdi engine run smoothly for lets say another 50K. I intend to keep this car for atleast 3 years and may be more, depending upon the condition then.
Basil

A tight clutch is the sign that its on its last legs. Find out how much a clutch replacement will cost you.

Secondly take down the chassis/Engine and the VIN numbers of the vehicle (it is typically stuck on one of the rear window quarter glasses. Take that to the Hyundai showroom - They have online systems that can give you the entire service history. They do not sell parts over the counter at all. Hence it may be (within limits) possible to say whether it has nmet with an accident.

The suspension will need a check up as will all the belts and the pulleys. Please find out who the owner was and if possible why he sold it - wnad what he used to use this for. The biggest whammy that can hit you with vehicles that have run so much in 3 years is turbo failure and engine rebuild. IF its driver driven then for sure the "idle for a minute before you start/stop" may not have been followed. Do check the service records at what intervals the oil and filters have been changed.

Take it down to the Hyundai workshop for a once over.

Last edited by kb100 : 14th July 2008 at 23:18.
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 23:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, 5.85 is too much for a discontinued model with 80k on the clock. Apart from that, Elantra CRDi is a nice and trouble free car. There are quite a few Elantra diesel owners on the forum. You could contact them about the high mileage part.
I used one for about 3 years but around 40/50k kms. For what its worth, I faced Zero problems.
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 23:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

Do not commit till you get a good mechanic to look it over.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 02:16   #8
BHPian

I kind of trust the used car valuations at New Cars, Used Cars, Buy Cars, Sell Cars, New Car Prices, Used Car Prices - CarWale.com India. They are indicating 4.90 to 5.50 for a dealer-sold Elantra CRDi with 80k on the odo.

In the UK, these engines hold on for upto 200,000 km. But like someone mentioned, they can become troublesome with turbos, carbon deposits, fuel pump failures etc.

Take a mechanic's view. Wish you could probably befriend someone from Popular Hyundai and take him along to FC.

BH.
BurningHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 02:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

I agree with all who said 5.85 is a bit steep. I love the Elantra though, and if it seems to be in an acceptable condition (meaning will not give u a big bill), then try bargaining a bit and go for it!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 03:12   #10
BANNED

Elantra has a good diesel engine. But it has to be taken care of too.
As said by many, I would recommend to get an expert mechanic's opinion.

If the mechanic nods in approval, then 5.85 ain't that bad a price here in Kerala. It can be brought down a bit if you try hard though.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 04:37   #11
BHPian

Elantra CRDi is always an awesome package. You will get superb solid built quality along with detroit engine plonked in it. No issues at all at even 190-200 kmph in terms of handling. Superb Brakes: All Wheel Disc + ABS + TCS + BAS + EBD
AirBags, mind ya it is a solid car. But can't comment on the condition of the car you are buying. Mileage Part: i'm getting 16 kmpl with full ac in cities with normal driving and on highways 16-18 kmpl if driven hard n on normal driving conditions you will get 18-19-20 kmpl depends on the drive. What can you expect from a 2L engine? Torque is good enough to beat 1.8L petrol engines easily.

Space: Awesome rear leg room. AC Chilling and the car is insulated like wow.

and most for all Hyundai is always known for their gearbox
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 06:03   #12
BHPian

Thank You all for the replies.

When I saw the car, it had just come into FC. Infact it was being driven by one of the Hyundai service engineers to check for problems. He was from popular hyundai and told me that he can give me the service history from Popular. I think FC will get the service done at Hyundai showroom itself. I will enquire there.

I will go thorugh all the details mentiond by all of you and only if I am satisfied, will I go for it.

It felt real VFM for me, except the 80k kms. The owner, it seems, has bought a Santro to replace this car. That sounded strange, will try to figure it out. Also, he had transferred his NCB to his new car. I was told I could do the same with the NCB for my Palio.
Old 15th July 2008, 08:53   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Popular is new to Tvm right?
Would suggest you get deals from Hilton or so as its an online system (and you can even cross check).
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 09:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

basil, i would suggest you to think a lot before you buy this car. Elantra is a nice car but 80k run means lots of issue might creep up....not just with the engine and clutch...
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 09:42   #15
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Elantra is said to have the best of the older gen common rail engines from hyundai. And among the hyundais, the best driving dynamics. The price for diesels are higher in kerala, hence the 5.85 bill. If the mechanic gives the green light, its go go go
btw- the palio 1.9 has been discontinued too, has'nt it?
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote