Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 22nd July 2008, 17:54   #1
BHPian

Default Esteem AX... way to go?

Hi guys I am planning to buy this 99 model esteem AX which has run only 27000kms. It is fully loaded and a clean car with original paint and everything. It was driven by an elderly person hence this low mileage. Unfortunately he passed away and now his nephew wants to sell the car. He is not ready to quote a price cause he is expecting a good price simply cause of the excelent condition of the car. He asked me for my best offer. As per my budget I offered him 1.25 lakhs also keeping in mind that production being stopped of this car. But like I said he is expecting higher.
Guys is it worth paying a higher price? since the production of the car is already stopped? and is the AX worth going for? how was the transmission of these cars? As far as I know esteem automatic didn't sell well why? did it have any problems? I really need your advice on this cause am very keen on buying it. I really liked the car when I test drove it very smooth
So guys please help. Need to finalise the deal ASAP. Thanks in advance.
sidd_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:17   #2
BANNED

It has a 3 speed automatic which means a screaming engine on the highway at very sensible speeds. Buy only if you need an auto sedan strictly for city use.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

My Uncle still owns an esteem AX, Maroon color, 99 model.

The car is very good in all aspects except for the FE (it delivers around 7-8 in Mumbai city, do not expect anything more. Press the pedal harder, it will deliver power but with a further cut in the FE by 2km/l).
Recently he thought of selling the car and the max quote he received was 85K. So he decided not to sell it and keep it. Got it converted to CNG and he's happy.

1.25L is OK IMHO, if the car is genuinely sparingly used. It is VFM @1.25L max. Nothing more I guess. But considering that there were hardly few takers of Esteem AT and are rarely found in the used car market, you may want to strech a little more to 1.40L. Thats about it i guess.

An Automatic at this price is a good buy. Take your call.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 22nd July 2008 at 18:21.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

We had one in 1998. Its a good car, but on the highway it screams for another gear. The 3 speed auto is nothing to0 write home about, and neither is the FE, but for the city its a great car, but pls check if parts are still available for this. Regarding the price, it depends a lot on the condition. Good cars are rare to come across, the price quoted seems a little on the higher side, try for 90k-1lac at the max.

Last edited by JayD : 22nd July 2008 at 18:27.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 20:51   #5
BHPian

Thanks for your input guys. one doubt i have is can I change the gearbox to a manual? F.E is not a concern cause am planning for a lpg kit. Guys its hard to belie that the condition of a almost 10yrs old vehicle is this good. hence I am so keen to buy it.
Old 22nd July 2008, 21:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

There was a AX 99 model mumbai register in Phonda, asking 40,000, original paint [golden] with LGP kit, don't Know if it's still there,also theres one in Navhind times the ad is coming for last 15 days, call up and see that too is cheap.
Carb esteem manual are available for around 50,000 -80,000 [97-2000 models], than why are you going in for an AT?
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 21:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd_city View Post
Thanks for your input guys. one doubt i have is can I change the gearbox to a manual? F.E is not a concern cause am planning for a lpg kit. Guys its hard to belie that the condition of a almost 10yrs old vehicle is this good. hence I am so keen to buy it.
Maybe Possible, not too sure. But considering the cost of converting it, you are better off it.
Best would be to use the car on CNG/LPG and enjoy it in AT. Else, why even think about the AT, go for the Manual Esteem 97-2000 model as Dinar pointed out.

IMHO, You should go for it as it is, if the condition is as good as you are claiming. I think you should be the highest bidder for it. So if you get it, enjoy it as it is without any mods. Mods on this one can prove very costly, and anyways it is a very nice car in stock. It is VFM.
But keep in mind that 10 years is a lot of time and there should be something or the other coming up in any 10 yr old car every now and then. Be prepared for such small niggling problems.
Old 22nd July 2008, 22:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Also keep on mind that Esteem AX did not have a power steering.
Old 22nd July 2008, 23:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
There was a AX 99 model mumbai register in Phonda, asking 40,000, original paint [golden] with LGP kit, don't Know if it's still there,also theres one in Navhind times the ad is coming for last 15 days, call up and see that too is cheap.
Carb esteem manual are available for around 50,000 -80,000 [97-2000 models], than why are you going in for an AT?
Its only because the condition of the car is so good I didn't mind it was a auto. Its hard to find cars in this condition in the market even cars that are newer to this car. And don't think you can get an esteem for 50-80k in good condition. my friend bought an 99 esteem for 1.10 in ok condition.
Old 22nd July 2008, 23:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

I know what you mean, but esteem prices are [have been] close to these, it's your choice though, but spending this much on an obsolete model is something you'll have to decide. Parts for the tranny are little had to find.and since it's 10 years old, there will be some part that need to be replaced. so rather go in for a model to which parts are still easy to find.
Thats just my thinking.
Old 23rd July 2008, 00:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I know what you mean, but esteem prices are [have been] close to these, it's your choice though, but spending this much on an obsolete model is something you'll have to decide. Parts for the tranny are little had to find.and since it's 10 years old, there will be some part that need to be replaced. so rather go in for a model to which parts are still easy to find.
Thats just my thinking.
Thanks for your advice dude I understand what you trying to say. Its only that my budget is ltd and I want a sedan. thats why. Anyway where are you from?
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Also keep on mind that Esteem AX did not have a power steering.
The esteem AX (1997 & after) is the automatic version of the VX, fully loaded with PS, PW, CL & stereo.

1.25L is a fair price for the car, do not go over that.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd_city View Post
Thanks for your advice dude I understand what you trying to say. Its only that my budget is ltd and I want a sedan. thats why. Anyway where are you from?
I know the feeling of buying a car, one gets tempted to buy, and forget or overlooks the obvious problems that can arise in future just because the car is in good shape while buying.
Pluse part in our part of the country are vary hard to find when cars are in production.My friend bought used gypsy , and had to wait for minimum of 6 weeks for parts like steering bushes and gear box linkages, and that when Maruti still produces gypsy, esteem MT parts are available out side but AT part will be impossible to find.
I am from Mapusa, and you?

Last edited by dinar : 23rd July 2008 at 11:54.
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:24   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
The esteem AX (1997 & after) is the automatic version of the VX, fully loaded with PS, PW, CL & stereo.

1.25L is a fair price for the car, do not go over that.
Hey esteem_lover finally could hear from you was actually waiting for your input. thanks man.

Quote:
I know the feeling of buying a car, one gets tempted to buy, and forget or overlooks the obvious problems that can arise in future just because the car is in good shape while buying.
Pluse part in our part of the country are vary hard to find when cars are in production.My friend bought used gypsy , and had to wait for minimum of 6 weeks for parts like steering bushes and gear box linkages, and that when Maruti still produces gypsy, esteem MT parts are available out side but AT part will be impossible to find.
I am from Mapusa, and you?
Hey dude I am from margao.

Last edited by sidd_city : 23rd July 2008 at 14:27.
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Please also check the dates on the tyres. If they are as old as the car, they would have to be changed pronto even if they have 80% wear left.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote