Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 24th July 2008, 23:47   #1
BHPian

Smile Need help to buy my First car!

Hello fellow t-bhpians,
I am all poised to buy my first car. I work as a trainee engr in cochin right now, so as far as the initial purchase price
or the subsequent maintenance cost goes, i will be on a tight leash!

* Cars short listed: maruti zen, maruti esteem
* Price range:0.7 to 1.5lac
* Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations: The car should be minimum maintenance and easy on the pocket,this is of highest priority.
* Average distance traveled per month: It wont be much, say 500kms, as i have a bike for usual commuting.
* Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc): city use will be predominant and maybe an occasional 70km drive to my hometown.
* Chauffer driven / self driven: self driven and please note, i am a learner driver!
* Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family: No
* Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort): Any automobile for me has to have decent performance,
else i wont be able to live with it. I have the esteem in the cross hairs because it is more powerful and has a boot. Else i have always been in love with the Zen.
* How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you): 2 years mostly.
bmw_m5_titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 00:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well i would advice the maruti esteem if you can get one easily
Check for its service record and all the history associated with it.
The car has a nice performance, decent average and doesnt cost you much on the pocket too.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 00:54   #3
BHPian

^ +1 for esteem . I have owned it before and its quite a good car. Its a bit low but then zen and maruti are low too.
cediaowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 07:05   #4
BHPian

cediaowner,abhinav thanks for the responses! What i am concerned about is since the esteem is or rather was a higher price bracket car, wouldnt the spares be considerably pricier? Service too? And is the esteem as maintenance free as the Zen? I have heard the suspension components are prone to wear.

Also can someone please enlighten me on the pro s and cons of the different variants and models of these cars? Say, a 97 esteem vxi and 2000 esteem lxi and a 96 zen and and 2001 zen? I understand these cars got mpfi around 2000. Right? This means more horses and better power delivery, but service complexity?
Old 25th July 2008, 10:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

IMO, if you are not going to utilize the boot, then go for Zen. It need less maintainenece , has good performance and will also give better fuel efficiency than Esteem.
If you are going to utilize the boot, then go for Esteem.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 13:03   #6
BANNED

Dude,

Put that 1.50 lacs as a downpayment and get one small loan and buy the new Spark, its the best VFM.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 20:32   #7
BHPian

@aaggoswami Well i would like to install a sub as part of the ICE so boot would come in handy. Else it s the old zen that i have always been in love with! Ofcourse the fact that
Esteem makes 25bhp more is a major draw!
@ PAVAN Sir, I dont want to spend so much on a car right now. My salary would entirely go towards emi! Also i may go abroad in a years period, so just want something I can drive around now with least expense but with a modicum of performance or fun.
gurus, please enlighten me about the various variants and pro s and cons of the carb and mpfi versions.
I have allotted a two month period to hunt a suitable car. Please help me do my homework!
Old 25th July 2008, 20:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Get a good second hand alto, if u can get a good 1.1vxi nothing like it. It should suffice as your daily steed as it has decent power (for a car its size) and milage (Lets go ) It will easily last u till the time u plan to go for ur studies and get u a good price later also. plus spares are cheap and readily available.

Last edited by sammyboy : 25th July 2008 at 20:58.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 21:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_m5_titus View Post

@aaggoswami Well i would like to install a sub as part of the ICE so boot would come in handy. Else it s the old zen that i have always been in love with! Ofcourse the fact that
Esteem makes 25bhp more is a major draw!
Then Esteem would fit the bill. Esteem also has better ride quality than Zen. Performance is also better than Zen.
But watch out for abused esteem. The maximum bang-for-the-buck Esteem is generally used rough for the fact that it has got good performance.

Dont be afraid of service complexicity. Usually a cared Esteem wont give you any trouble i.e. wont give you major trouble.

Take the car to A.S.S. Let them have a look.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 20:29   #10
BHPian

I hope to find a good used esteem or zen in the next coupla months. However i reiterate my initial query regarding the pros and cons of the mpfi/carb as well as lxi/vxi variants! pl throw some light on this.
Old 28th July 2008, 21:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Get a good second hand alto, if u can get a good 1.1vxi nothing like it. It should suffice as your daily steed as it has decent power (for a car its size) and milage (Lets go ) It will easily last u till the time u plan to go for ur studies and get u a good price later also. plus spares are cheap and readily available.
I thought of the Alto too. The 1.1 is a good option. Its newer that the esteem \zen hes looking at. Probably not the 1.1 but the other normal alto would be a good bet if your looking to keep it only for a year or so.
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 23:59   #12
BHPian

The normal alto is a bit low on power i feel, eventhough i am a noob I dont want to be stuck with an engine I will outgrow prematurely!
Thats why I am hooked to the Zen.

And please please can someone pl tell me about mpfi vs carb on zen and esteem!!