Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 8th August 2008, 13:06   #1
BHPian

Default Should I buy a Used RS?

hi guys,,
am thinking of buying a black skoda rs,,2006 model,,done 43000 kms to date,,il be the 3rd owner. any suggestions or advice from ppl with rs ownership experience would be great. although i havent driven it yet,,but the physical condition looks pretty good,,its owned by my neighbour so its parked in my building everyday. how much should i offer for it? any help is welcome and appreciated.
thanks guys.
sachinwadhwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 13:26   #2
BHPian

well skoda is expensive to maintain so keep that in mind. Apart from that if the car is in good condition and has properly maintained service record then take a good test drive of the car and then decide. Moreover the current owner is your neigbour so he would'nt have a courage to pass you a bad car.
i would say seal the deal arnd 6 lacs not more than that since you would be a third owner.
ashish22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 13:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...300-bucks.html (Expensive Skoda Fabia parts. Plastic wheel cover @ 2,300 bucks!!)

check this thread out first, at least i could not digest the content, if you think you can live with such costs of maintainance by all means go ahead depending on the condition of the car and the service records of the car.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 13:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its tempting for sure, but it has gone through 3 people....not sure how good it would be..

Get it checked properly from a mech before you make a final call...
lohithrao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 14:07   #5
Team-BHP Support

Most of the vRS's will be heavily abused. So please check the car throughly before you make a decision. As Rider 60 mentioned the service and spare costs are exorbitant, if you can afford it, then do go ahead, it's really a very special car
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 14:48   #6
BHPian

ya,
i've heard about the high maintenance costs, but somehow that's not stopping me from considering the RS because i'm dead bored of my swift vxi. desperately need something quicker, and in any case i don't intend keeping it for more than 15 months. Yes, what will definitely stop me from buying it is too many visits to the skoda workshop for recurring problems, which is painful given my rd350 experience.
so is regular maintenance and service expensive (as in the case of corolla) or is RS known for recurring and nagging problems like leaking sunroofs etc (as in case of say a 3-4 yr old ford ikon)?
thanks again.
Old 8th August 2008, 18:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its not that recurring problems are there.
A good maintained car will not ask much repairs apart from things like
Brake Pads, A/C Fan and Compressor.

Do bear in mind the a/c Fan will have to be replaced every year and the compressor every 2 years.
the brakes ( if you fly it like a beast ) will not last more than 15000 kms
Tyres on the vRs are above 30000 for a set of 5 and last 15000 kms ( hard driving)
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 19:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Do bear in mind the a/c Fan will have to be replaced every year and the compressor every 2 years.
You sure about this? My car is more than 3 years old and I haven't replaced either, TOUCH WOOD!! Or, is this specific only to the vRS?

@ Sachin - If the car is in good nick, go ahead. Its an amazing vehicle and will keep you very happy
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 19:56   #9
Team-BHP Support

Talk to ajmat- his acquisition of a black RS in Mumbai and drive back to BLR is quite eponymous
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2008, 14:35   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am curious to know why a 2 year old car has been through 3 owners? Presuming that the current owner has bought it recently, why would he want to sell it off already? Approach this deal with the greatest of suspicion and get the car checked inside out.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2008, 15:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

The car has changed the owners very quickly and is rather unusual. Approach with caution as there are chances of selling a car either abused or involved in accident.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2008, 22:49   #12
BHPian

hmmmm,,i haventt had a chance to chat with the owner at length,,he has just bought a bmw 3 series,,i suppose thats why hes selling the vrs..he did say that he bought it directly from showroom but was a second hand when he bought,,sort off like a dealer certified car.i was gonna test drive it today but coudlnt,,hopefully tomorrow during the day.
can anybody recommend a good mechanic who will adivse me on the purchase,,,am in bandra west .my dear and trustworty mech is now unavailable...he moved out of bom.
Old 10th August 2008, 01:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

best bet would be to get it checked at the dealership itself.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 15:16   #14
BHPian

drove it,,it flies,,but the wasnt happy with the over all condition of the car..
gonna t.d. another one this week lets see how it goes.
in the meantime, since im so bored with my petrol swift vxi would anyone recommend any mods to it? i already have k&n panel,,and automech headers exhaust. has anybody put a baleno engine in their swift? or know of anyone who has done it or a mechanic who does it. my 2 yr warrantly period on swift gets over this month so i dont need to worry about warranty going void etc,,
Old 10th August 2008, 19:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

if you really want a good car there is a car in delhi.one year old.you can contact another member abhinav gupta on this forum who has just bought a new red RS.he has the contact details for a brilliant car.just an year old and only about 20k on the odo.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote