Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 14th August 2008, 14:17   #1
BHPian

Default Embera CRDi booked, Canceled, New Embera launch?

I had booked Sonata Embera CRDi in Black color about a week ago. Dealer confirmed that itís in stock. Based on that I had signed the company car lease to acquire the vehicle. The deal was striked at 13.7lk+road tax+insurance.
Now the dealer informs me that Hyundai is out of black sonatas and they no more have any vehicle in stock. He also informs me that company is planning to launch a new one with updated features in near future.
My earlier decision was based on following priorities
1. Spacious rear seat
I will have three adults in the rear seat. Also I may have a 4 year child in addition to that in rear seat.
2. Car needs to be powerful
80% of my travel is on expressway with 120+ speeds. I will like to have sub 11 seconds (0-100) car with load of torque (Love CRDi diesel for that). The car should do 180+ easily .
3. Easier to maintain and run
4. I would keep this car for 5+ years

The cars I considered, test driven
1. Verna - Too small for my requirements. Loved the performance
2. Laura - I think itís a 4 seat car. The rear middle seat is narrow, hard and person seats with ac vents between his legs. Scared of quality , service , parts cost.
3. Civic Ė Loved this one , but again small rear seat.
4. Magnum- Wow engine, performance , total value for money. This car was second runner.
5. Embera CRDi- Selected this one for large size, (Only D segment sized car in my budget) , powerful, easier to maintain. During the test drive (CRDi) I did not find any more turbo lag than Verna. I loved the exterior shape specially in black color. Interiors were 2 year old design. My pas 3+ years of Getz ownership has been nothing but great so I trust Hyundai.
I know many of you will suggest Innova for all the right reasons. But I use this one as cab frequently for work related travel. And will not prefer to own this one as a personal vehicle.

Anybody has any insider information on new Embera launch?

Last edited by ajmat : 14th August 2008 at 18:55.
Old 14th August 2008, 20:13   #2
BHPian

why don't you wait for Toyota Altis it's launching next month sep 5
Old 14th August 2008, 21:11   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

New one is on the road in the US and looks lot better. New front with big lights and all new interiors, same rear end.

I think your dealer is the best source of info for this. Try calling Hyundai sales.
Old 14th August 2008, 22:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Rohit , I think in most of the markets Embera has gone through a facelift.
Better headlamps, interiors look much much better. I hope Hyundai does bring this facelift soon. All said and done Embera will give you lesser resale than a Laura , so end of the day the extra spares of Laura might make it up. But trust me Laura is way safer and better built overall.
Old 15th August 2008, 00:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

The new altis will be a great car in that segment
Toyota has good service AFAIK.
Wait for that too.
Old 15th August 2008, 02:27   #6
BHPian

Toyota is already gearing up for the launch of the Altis. It should be as big, if not bigger than the Corolla. Watch this site as the date comes closer. Where is real Quality ?

Launch Date: September 5th 2008
Old 15th August 2008, 02:32   #7
Team-BHP Support

Sonata Embera crdi is a good car if you can live with tall gears,Verna like turbo lag and very ordinary handling.

Nobody knows when the new Embera will hit indian shores,i dont like the new grile but interiors have got a better look in the newer us version that is expected to be launched in india soon.
Old 15th August 2008, 09:02   #8
BHPian

Default Thanks guys for your replies

Looks like corolla Altis is a voice of this forum. I have seen this car in person about month ago during my US travel. The car in black color looks good and bit like camry. The only concern will be the back seat width for my requirement.

This weekend I am in bombay. I am planning to go for Jetta test drive at worli. We dont have any dealers in Pune yet. Now knowing the Laura customer service woes I have my doubts about Jetta. But I think I should go for test drive and then manke up my mind.

Regarding the resale value, folks does it matter if I plan to keep the car for 5/6 years. I mean what's a difference will be like for 14lk worth car between two brands. Let's take 12.7lk Civic AT, and 13.7lk sonata embera CRDi, after 6 years in the used car market any guess what will the difference in the value?

Another point about Laura , I find the engine much noisy. I would say even Safari 2.2 engine is extremely quiet during start up.

Other cars test driven during this selection process
1. Innova
2. Safari - Liked this one, but the interiors are not up to mark, even compared against my exsisting scorpio. But it's a very good value considering the fact that next diesel SUV is at 19lk, captiva.
3. Captiva - Loved it but way out of my budget.
4. CRV- Wow, but out of budget. Even if I stretch my budget really far ,still worried about the high fuel consumtion costs.
5. Scorpio M Hawk - The delers were so pathetic, after repeted calls and even personal visit to the showroom did not offer the car for test drive. This is Bora Auto Pune. Now you know why I am selling my scorpio. Really tired of poor serive quality.
6. Grand Vitara- Liked the looks. Interiors are ok. Not so great performance (0-100, 40-100). But poor gear shift, petrol engine SUV? But feel it's a good value at 14lk.

Amoung all this Magnum still remains favorite in my list due to the performance. But the dated exterior looks and ok interiors does not give a feel of 10+lk car. Now I just saw 80k off on Magnum, humm..

So the quest continues...
Old 15th August 2008, 13:48   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
The new altis will be a great car in that segment
Toyota has good service AFAIK.
Wait for that too.
Altis is a car from a segment lower you can compare it to civic or magnum not embera.
Old 15th August 2008, 14:22   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd suggest the Jetta over the rest for the foll reasons:

1. Its german build a sturdier car for the expressway.
2. It has 6 std or 8 airbags if you go in for the top of the line diesel with DSG (Highly recommended)
3. Its a diesel ! (Same engine as Laura)
4. It has an extended warranty package for just 6000rs

Last edited by Sahil : 15th August 2008 at 14:23.
Old 15th August 2008, 14:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitrk View Post
Anybody has any insider information on new Embera launch?
Rohit,
It's true that a new Sonata is being launched. My childhood buddy has a Hyundai dealership back home. He did happen to mention it to one of my other friends to wait for the new Sonata.

I can find out more details from him if you want me to.

- Dodo
Old 15th August 2008, 14:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Jetta will not have the performance you're looking for & neither the space. Corolla Altis again will be expensive to run since it's Petrol.

Maybe you can wait for the facelifted Embera or go for the Magnum.
Old 15th August 2008, 15:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

The Sonata is a great VFM product. Space is best in class. There are normally very good discounts available on it as well. Try talking to your dealer & wrangle hard for the discounts. It may all be worth yor while at the end of it.

Needless to say once the new model is launched - the discounts will vanish !!!!

Cheers
Old 15th August 2008, 21:44   #14
BHPian

DUD Dodo, I will really appreciate if you can find some more details about the possible launch of new Sonata. I will be looking for
1. If they will launch the Diesel version as before
2. Current Sonata Diesel is at 14.16lk ex showroom , hope they launch at the price same bracket. And not the higher price bracket before th eprice cut.
3. Approximate time frame.

I know I am asking too much , but just see what you can find. Thanks in advance for your efforts.

Ricky_63, My Dealer informs me that no Diesel version is available with hyundai now. About the discounts :
I guess (and I hope) hyundai is plannng to launch new sonata diesel at 14lk range. My hunch is based on the fact that they have reduced the price of current sonata diesel officially by 1.5 lk where as they could have just given 1.5 lk discount. I think I will loose the 45k additional discount that was offered after the 1.5lk official price cut for new launch.
If they launch again close to Accord they will loose again. Hyundai should really play the value card in higher segments.

iragava, you are right any Civic, Magnum, corolla, Jetta, Lauras size car will not be able to meet my space requirements. If I can't find anything suitable in the range of 14lk I think I will just drop the plans of getting a new car and will continue in my 91k+ scoprio.
Old 16th August 2008, 01:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Needless to say once the new model is launched - the discounts will vanish !!!!
This does hold true for the corolla but i highly doubt people queuing up for the NEW embera. No demand means good demand.
Closed Thread