Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2008, 12:01   #1
BHPian
 
inder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: nagpur
Posts: 284
Thanked: 33 Times
Default jetta or laura ??

A relative of mine is looking for a car in the 20lacs range.He has shortlisted the Jetta and the Laura both automatic top end.The problem is we dont have a VW dealer in Nagpur.I talked to the ones in Hyderabad and Mumbai about servicing,they said it would be done in their city only.The engine of both the cars are same so is the platform on which they are based(i suppose),then why not Skoda service VW jetta??
Also I would like to know which car should he opt for,I suggested him accord also but he insists on deisel.Will the high cost of maintainence (as heard in the forum) offset the deisel advantage vis a vis the accord??
Jetta will give an exclusivity,but service will be a 1000km round trip.Laura has a couple of features more,but is very common.
Team please reply soon
inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 18:01   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 308 Times
Default

The new accord is a high maintenance car too ( as i have heard)

If i were given an option, i'd choose the jetta.
Its new , its got a great cabin ( look wise , laura has black interiors)

Its got retractable mirrors
Its got a neat look speedo-dial
You can have extended warranty of 2 years ( which skoda does not provide)
The brand value is better

Try to find out when a new vw dealership is coming in your place as vw plans to have 15 dealers in India by the end of this year and 120 by the end of 2011.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 18:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,094 Times
Default

There is no exclusivity left in India, every car gets common unless you get a supercar so the Jetta will see the fate of the laura too.

I think the Altis would be a good option to wait for, although its not a diesel it will give almost 60% more FE than the accord. Not only will it be locally serviced but also cheaper to maintain.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 18:25   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
kutlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,126
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

there is no way it can be a Jetta. It should be a Laura. There won't be exclusivity even if you buy Q7.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 21:52   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,588
Thanked: 1,725 Times
Default

As there is no local VW dealer in Nagpur, you can be certain that there will only be a handful of Jettas in your city, but it will not offer any more wow-factor than any other 20-lakh car.

Following points (with my score) are in favour of Jetta:
4-year warranty (+10)
better fit and finish (+5)
better brand (+5)
fresh in the market (+2)

And for Laura:
Local A.S.S (+20)
More equipment (+5)
Better looks? (+2)

I would suggest Laura only because of local A.S.S, otherwise Jetta might be a better option. Logistics involved in a remote A.S.S are not worth for a daily driver.
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 22:14   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
karanraheja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

I would suggest the Laura any day. Yes the Jetta has the option of extended warranty but end of the day Laura IMO is better overall.

OT : If he doesnt mind SUV 's ask him to have a look at Captiva Diesel.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 22:17   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
snaronikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,845
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Given your choices, Laura would be a better option. Jetta is getting released just now and may have intial hiccups and their A** is a big question mark.

Why doesn't your friend try for any of the SUVs?
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 23:06   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default

Was just going through thread. This will answer your question better
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-9-tested.html (VW Jetta 1.9 Tested!!)
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 00:06   #9
BHPian
 
inder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: nagpur
Posts: 284
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Try to find out when a new vw dealership is coming in your place as vw plans to have 15 dealers in India by the end of this year and 120 by the end of 2011.
I tried contacting VW india through their website,but no response from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
There is no exclusivity left in India, every car gets common unless you get a supercar so the Jetta will see the fate of the laura too.

I think the Altis would be a good option to wait for, although its not a diesel it will give almost 60% more FE than the accord. Not only will it be locally serviced but also cheaper to maintain.
Exclusivity for atleast some time especially in a city like nagpur,where i have seen more mercs and bmw's than passat's and camry's.So there is a dearth in this range I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
there is no way it can be a Jetta. It should be a Laura. There won't be exclusivity even if you buy Q7.
same reason as above

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
As there is no local VW dealer in Nagpur, you can be certain that there will only be a handful of Jettas in your city, but it will not offer any more wow-factor than any other 20-lakh car.

Following points (with my score) are in favour of Jetta:
4-year warranty (+10)
better fit and finish (+5)
better brand (+5)
fresh in the market (+2)

And for Laura:
Local A.S.S (+20)
More equipment (+5)
Better looks? (+2)

I would suggest Laura only because of local A.S.S, otherwise Jetta might be a better option. Logistics involved in a remote A.S.S are not worth for a daily driver.
The warranty on jetta is 4 years as compared to 3 for Laura,I like jetta's looks over Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I would suggest the Laura any day. Yes the Jetta has the option of extended warranty but end of the day Laura IMO is better overall.

OT : If he doesnt mind SUV 's ask him to have a look at Captiva Diesel.
SUV's are not his liking,he prefers a sedan,although the SUV we discussed was the Captiva,as suggested by you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Given your choices, Laura would be a better option. Jetta is getting released just now and may have intial hiccups and their A** is a big question mark.

Why doesn't your friend try for any of the SUVs?
Yeah even I am worried about the same thing,initial hiccups of a new car,and that too by a new company.

Frankly why I dont want him to buy laura,is because its size does not justify a close to 2million rupee price tag(we are talking about top end auto),and secondly it does not look very different from a 12 lakh octavia.Otherwise the car is quite good,since we dont have much choices in the 15-20 lakh diesel sedan range.
inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 02:18   #10
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,468
Thanked: 19,377 Times
Default

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...st-driven.html

That's my review on the Jetta. I found it to be pretty good.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 10:24   #11
BHPian
 
inder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: nagpur
Posts: 284
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Thanks vid,I have already read your review.Infact I have one through everthing on tbhp about jetta.I think I shall wait for a couple of days for VW to get to me,else will suggest him to book the Laura.But heart says Jetta
inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 10:29   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default

buy the latest since you've got the budget apparently
i think if i were you I d buy the jetta. lovely car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Thanks vid,I have already read your review.Infact I have one through everthing on tbhp about jetta.I think I shall wait for a couple of days for VW to get to me,else will suggest him to book the Laura.But heart says Jetta
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 11:58   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Default

if he trips anyways down to mum/hyd then okay, else nothing.

why not speak to manoj biswas on maintaining a beauty of a car with a service center that's 100km away amplify his experience and then consider if your relative would want that.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 12:14   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,735
Thanked: 89,304 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
The new accord is a high maintenance car too ( as i have heard)
Absolute rubbish. Firstly, lets go by actual reviews and not merely what we have *heard*. Second, the new Accord has only been on the road for 3 months so I'd be curious to know how it became a high maintenance car. Let's consider Honda's track record and give them some benefit of doubt here. I am sure the new Accord will be as trouble-free and cheap to own as the previous generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
The engine of both the cars are same so is the platform on which they are based(i suppose),then why not Skoda service VW jetta??
VW wants to distinguish itself and create a separate service channel. Considering Skoda's terrible (inexistent?) standards of after-sales, this can only be a good thing.

The Jetta is newer and will offer exclusivity. Plus it comes with 4 year coverage. However, the Laura gives you more goodies for a not-so-higher price tag. In the end, it depends on where your friends preferences lie.

Have you test-driven the Embera common-rail? Its a truly competent sedan, let down only by the badge and the staid interiors. Worth a look IMHO.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 12:38   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 613
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I think the Altis would be a good option to wait for, although its not a diesel it will give almost 60% more FE than the accord.
Er...I read somewhere that there will a diesel version for Toyota Altis, and that's why delayed my car purchase. Was I wrong?

\N
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruze LTZ vs Jetta Comfortline vs Laura Elegance sabynag The Indian Car Scene 118 13th January 2012 16:50
Jetta 1.9, Cruze 2.0, Sonata Transform 2.0 , Laura 1.9 - Need Help!! punitkakri Sedans 158 10th June 2010 14:03
VW Jetta AT or Skoda Laura L&K 2.0 AT EDIT: its The Jetta 1.9 TDi A/T akhilesh51 Sedans 27 14th July 2009 18:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks