Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 23rd August 2008, 20:33   #1

Default Ikon 1.6 vs Accent 1.6 GLS vs Honda City 1.5 EXi

Dear all, a friend of mine in hyderabad wants to buy a used car. He has narrowed down to these 3 cars and the indicative price after negotiation. Please suggest the best option.

1. Ford Ikon 1.6 (2002) - 64k driven, tyres need replacement asap. Final offered price is 1.7L

2. Accent GLS (2001) - 83k driven, nice seat covers and v good music system. Price - 2.15L

3. Honda City 1.5 EXi (2000) - 54k driven (not sure if this is correct), 1st owner, Price 2.5L

He needs the car mainly for city driving and occasional long trips. Fuel efficiency is not a big factor but maintenance and reliability are.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Cheers!
mandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 10:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Accent though 83k is a lot of Mileage. Tell him to quote less than 2 Lacs. 2.15 is a bit high considering you can buy a new one for 5 Lacs ex showroom. This one is 7 yrs old.

A good car neverthe less.

Honda City is also a safe bet !!
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 11:01   #3
Team-BHP Support

Out of the lot, the OHC looks to be the best bet. Is it type 1 or 2? Check the car with the mechanic thorougly and bargain a bit on the price and that will be one awesome possession.

Is he buying through the dealers at king koti or from individuals?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 11:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Go with these preferences. Honda City Exi/Accend GLS/Ford 1.6. I'am informing this keeping in mind the maintainence, reliablity and FE in order. for correct pricing of used cars, you can also visit for getting a fair idea. New Cars, Used Cars, Buy Cars, Sell Cars, New Car Prices, Used Car Prices - CarWale.com India
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 12:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Honda City seems to be the best bet ! If the running is only 54k's done (since u aint sure)then i would advice your friend to go for it. Ikon would be quite expensive to maintain. Accent has done quite a lot of running so its not worth for that price.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 13:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Out of the lot, the OHC looks to be the best bet. Is it type 1 or 2? Check the car with the mechanic thorougly and bargain a bit on the price and that will be one awesome possession.

Is he buying through the dealers at king koti or from individuals?
He is buying it from Dr.car. The car is in good condition. Not sure if it is type 1or 2,how to find that ? Also dr.car might not allow him to take a mechanic and get the car checked.

My friend is also keen on getting the honda city
Any special thing to look out for in case of used OHC.

Thanks for all your replies, it has been really helpful.

Cheers!
mandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 15:02   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandeep View Post
He is buying it from Dr.car. The car is in good condition. Not sure if it is type 1or 2,how to find that ? Also dr.car might not allow him to take a mechanic and get the car checked.

My friend is also keen on getting the honda city
Any special thing to look out for in case of used OHC.

Thanks for all your replies, it has been really helpful.

Cheers!
If the OHC looks little older with those different type of headlight and backlight designs thats a type 1. Couple of my friends have seconds OHC and they didnt have much problem ( bought at 55K and now at 1L kms) except for AC compressor gone kaput and lot of work on the suspension.

My friend got a quote of 78K to get it back in mint condition. But, he is contemplating of getting rid of it and getting a new sedan.

Also, they have to let you allow your mechanic to check the car, if he does not allow, something is fishy
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 14:36   #8

Hi all, just wanted to close this thread. I got this thread posted through a friend of mine. I bought OHC 1.5, its type 2 with the spoiler and alloys (its the EXi-S version). The odo reading is correct, got it verified by looking at the service records. Final price was 2.5L, and i think it has been a wonderful buy. Car is in excellent condition and i just love it

Special Thanks to all those who replied.

Cheers!
pbp0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 18:30   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats! @ 54K, she is still a virgin. Atleast another 1.0 lac healthy kms in there.

Quote:
I bought OHC 1.5, its type 2 with the spoiler and alloys (its the EXi-S version).
The type2 didn't come in an exi-S variant. The spoilers & alloys are aftermarket (unless you got a Vtec!!).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 18:35   #10
BHPian

Isn't 2.5lacs pretty cheap? In Bangalore Honda city would cost around 3.5lacs for a Type 2 I believe.
anup7649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 14:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats! @ 54K, she is still a virgin. Atleast another 1.0 lac healthy kms in there.

The type2 didn't come in an exi-S variant. The spoilers & alloys are aftermarket (unless you got a Vtec!!).
Firstly apologies about the odo reading..its 62k and not 54k as i mentioned earlier.

@GTO: No its not a Vtec as it doesnt have the twin exhaust (see the attached pic). Could be aftermarket accessories..but they really look cool

@anup7649: The owner was asking 2.8, got it down to 2.5 and at the time of purchase i thought i paid a bit steeply but now i think it has been a great buy!

I have just replaced the battery (3.5k) in the car and nothing else..suspension is ok and i enquired with the honda guys and they said major service will happen at 80k. The car was serviced just a month before it was sold so its good for another 5k kms
Attached Thumbnails
Ikon 1.6 vs Accent 1.6 GLS vs Honda City 1.5 EXi-dscf26471.jpg  

pbp0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 14:56   #12
BHPian

yes they are aftermarket.nice choice mate beautiful color
aditya.86 is offline   Reply With Quote