Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 12th February 2011, 23:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Dilemma on where to buy from - Haryana or Mumbai

There will be no issue at all, and insurance policy is valid across india for most cases. There are cases when it is not, but depends on policy, usage purpose of the vehicle and so on, where geographical limitations come into force.

But, dont worry about it. I have checked for all my cars, and my HR registered car, which I am using in Bangalore now, and the insurance company confirmed it is valid all over India (I have ICICI Lombard)

It anyday makses sense to buy the car in Haryana, but then again, there is another point. Transporting your car from HR to Mumbai, will cost atleast 10-15 K by container. So at 10k, your net savings will only be around 30K
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 01:41   #17

@dreamcatcher - thanks, this helps..i agree that there is a transportation cost involved, but i am actually planning to drive down from ggn to mumbai...its like 1400 kms & i intend to make it my first long road trip, smthing i have never done but very keen to do
rohank024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 14:18   #18
BHPian

@ rohank024 - Mate i have gone through something similar, although it might appear that there is an instant saving by buying a vehicle from gurgaon, some the states (I can give you a hyderabad perspective), I routinely see cops on the rounds waiting to make money on the out of station cars, they typically require you pay the registration part of the vehicle again if you intend to use the car beyond a specific period. I would recommend you check the mumbai scenario before you take the plunge.

When i moved from Gurgaon - I decided not to move my car, as there was not point in paying 12% of the ex-showroom cost again on a depreciating asset.

Hope you have factored this risk in the move.

All the best.

Last edited by Motoringlover : 13th February 2011 at 14:19. Reason: Correcting Typo
Motoringlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 16:45   #19
BHPian

If you are going to use the vehicle for a shorter period at Mumbai, it is ok. You can explain to cops with papers. But in case of permanent use at Mumbai, you are required to register with Mumbai RTO (depending upon the place you reside) and you may have to pay the registration charges.

Technically, as you are using the vehicle at Haryana State paying full registration charges, you are entitled for refund. Seldom you get it rightfully and you may have to grease many hands.

You have to register at Mumbai after getting a NOC from Haryana RTO if you are going to use it for a prolonged period.
gururaj r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 17:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
If you are going to use the vehicle for a shorter period at Mumbai, it is ok. You can explain to cops with papers. But in case of permanent use at Mumbai, you are required to register with Mumbai RTO (depending upon the place you reside) and you may have to pay the registration charges.

Technically, as you are using the vehicle at Haryana State paying full registration charges, you are entitled for refund. Seldom you get it rightfully and you may have to grease many hands.

You have to register at Mumbai after getting a NOC from Haryana RTO if you are going to use it for a prolonged period.
Eaxactly my thoughts, Though you might save a few bucks initially by taking an HR number but the headache you might have if the RTO catches you using a different state number in Mumbai will not be worth the effort.

My wife was using a DL registered car in Jaipur and we were caught twice by the RTO in 3 months. I got sick of making excuses or finding an alternate route to avoid getting caught that I decided its not worth effort to keep the car or have the registration transferred so we sold it off in Delhi and got a new one here.

So IMHO if you plan to use a vehicle in Mumbai for a long period buy one from there

EDIT: And if you do not want to use it for long in Mumbai, buy a 2nd hand car from Mumbai and sell it off before relocating. I believe new cars in Mumbai loose more money as the sea air tends to corrode the body more

Last edited by deky : 13th February 2011 at 17:15.
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 20:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

I second what Gururaj has posted above. If you are going to use the car in Mumbai for a considerable period of time, it's better to follow the law and pay the necessary charges. In which case it wouldn't make sense to buy the car from Haryana in the first place.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 23:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

There is a certain time period in any given state before which you need to pay the state tax. Incase you are going to be in Mumbai for a very long time, would be good to go in for a MH car. Because, forget about Cops, if you plan to sell your car at some point in time, an out of station car will command a much lower value than a local reg car. And not talking about the other hassles in this sale process.

If for a short duration, or if you are sure if you are going back even in 18 months or so, go ahead and buy the HR car. Also, make sure to save all the toll reciepts, when you make your drive from GGN to MH. It will come in handy for some time
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote