Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 18th September 2008, 13:17   #46
Senior - BHPian

I saw this car yeaterday in flesh,somehow it did not appeal me,it looks akward,although the build quality is good,but dosent feel like the earlier corolla,that stamp of the worldwide hit corolla is extinct,dfinately its a very boring car to sit inside,though i did not get the chance to drive it.Again this is my personal opinion,it did not please me.I still like the earlier corolla very much and the current camry.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 18:54   #47
Senior - BHPian

Had time today so went to Honda showroom and saw the kitted Civic sport. To be very honest was very impressed by the looks from outside as well as inside. Only that it was lacking in lots and lots of features including the fogs and blinkers on OVRMs. The other features missing at same price from Altis were HID, hadlamp washers, leathers, MID, auto mirror, power seat, steering mounted controls. Extra then Altis it had the Kit, white alloys.

Confused again? My head says 'Altis' and my Heart says 'wait'.
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 20:04   #48
BHPian

I read somewhere that the Captiva is going to be locally manufactured, this might reduce the price to your budget.
xtremeshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 22:32   #49
BHPian

Did a extensive TD of the Altis G model. The EPS is good. Drove through 2 kms of heavy traffic in a very narrow lane as part of over all TD. It was very nice.
Will write the full review shortly
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 23:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

My opinion is that the Altis is a very dull but competent sedan. The build quality is excellent, though.And,this car is strictly for geriatrics. They will never offer a sport version in this market, will they?.

Last edited by nickatnite : 18th September 2008 at 23:17.
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 23:23   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Confused again? My head says 'Altis' and my Heart says 'wait'.
Wait for what ?

I think Altis is a better deal than the Civic. The only thing left to come in this segment is the Linea, but Toyota v/s Fiat is a no brainer for me at least.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 23:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

its not good. what i mean to say is, its not good looking at all when compared to the civic. its a straight lift from the camry. when the corolla came back in 2002 it was a 'WOW' product & seeing its predesesors its dull. the interiors are dull too.
if i have to pick one i'll still go for the older model.
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 01:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
The price difference is 1.5 lakhs (on road).
The main differences are

a. Electrically adjustable driver seat v/s manual adjustable driver seat
b. HID headlamps with retractable washers
c. Rear sunshade
d. Automatic headlamp adjuster

That's way too much for too little!!
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 10:03   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
by the way, Is anyone aware about the bookings etc of Altis.
Is it selling like hot cake or in bakers dozen.
I think its selling like a hot cake. One of my cousin work for Galaxy Toyota, Moti Nagar Delhi and he told me that they have 143 bookings for Altis in one week from launch. And yesterday I saw in an advertisement that a Honda dealer in Bangalore is giving 30K discount for Honda Civic which was not the case earlier at least for Civic.
rajanvash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 14:59   #55
Senior - BHPian

Logically there are enough reasons to go for Altis, so I am 'almost' decided to go for the GL model. Color, will decide on getting more response from you guys.

Now the next step. We have two Toyota dealers in our city. Will it help in getting a better deal. One is close to my house and the other is very far. The one very far has been following up with me very nicely. The close one was not too eager earlier, but recently one of my old aquentance has joined there as sales girl, so getting a good followup from them too. Do the dealers give dealer discount on this one or will they give free accecories. What should I ask for? Also is there a discount by finance company?
Old 19th September 2008, 16:06   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
...Do the dealers give dealer discount on this one or will they give free accecories. What should I ask for? Also is there a discount by finance company?
I dont think you will get any dealer discounts or freebies at this time considering that the launch hype is still on. It may be good for you to wait till end of Oct as they may at least give some Festival freebies, or wait till other cars such Linea and Honda City are launched.
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 16:15   #57
BHPian

took a test drive today and felt yawwwwwwwwwn. Have no connection to the road at all. a very well built comfortable sedan, but nothing on offer for the enthusiast.
prabhuav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 16:45   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
took a test drive today and felt yawwwwwwwwwn. Have no connection to the road at all. a very well built comfortable sedan, but nothing on offer for the enthusiast.
Thanks! What a timing! Regarding EPS and connection to the road its vice versa. Once you pick the habit of this steering then on normal steerings you will feel like why the road is coming into your car. I took a long test drive and after that as I came back to my old car I felt the road feel annoying.
Old 19th September 2008, 18:00   #59
BHPian

Take a TD of Optra Magnum LT. You will fall in love with it. It has everything that you need and is a real VFM car.
vchounal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 18:22   #60
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Yes, color is personal preference. Blue is very pretty color but dirt & dust would stand out and being a slightly unusual / unconventional color, it's appeal may not last long. Champagne, Silver & White is more conventional colors - never go out of "fashion".

Another difference in the higher GL version is the all Leather Upholstry.

My suggestion would be the Automatic version - it's so very convenient especially in busy city traffic.

I have already booked Automatic version in Champagne color. I already have a City ZX CVT in Silver color - that was one (strange) reason to prefer Corolla Altis over Civic and choosing Champagne over Silver (or other) color.

I took a TD of older Corolla MT, Civic AT and Corolla Altis AT - in my opinion both Altis & Corolla are very good cars with very similar features & characteristics and each of them have some minor USPs. So it actually boils down to whatever you "like" more at that point of time. For me, what tipped the balance in favor of Altis were:

1. Power Steering (EPS): Contrary to popular opinion on this forum, I prefer the soft feel of the steering - most of my driving / crawling would be on the busy roads of Delhi. Highway high-speed steering feedback - Delhiites can realize this dream only once in a few months or so ;-)

2. Good low speed ride quality, maneuvreability & driver's view.

3. Cruise Control - I think it would be more useful on long drives rather than paddle shift (on Civic).

4. I found Civic a very exciting / fun / stylish car and Altis a very mature / elegant car. I opted for the latter - this may be a sign of senility ;-)

5. Higher ground clearance & stiffer suspension - keeping in mind the average raods in India.

6. I already have a Honda, so I wanted to try a Toyota ! But on the whole I found Altis much more comfortable than Civic or older Corolla.

(Currently I have a Scorpio GLX 2003 done 100,000 km & City Zx CVT 2006 done 15,000.
My past experience of cars - Maruti 800, Zen, Esteem & Lancer)
MonkSansFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote