Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 9th June 2011, 19:54   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Smitten by a Baleno!

Can anybody explain me about "16V SMARTi Torque System" boldly written by Maruti in the engine room of the Baleno ? Whether there are older versions of Baleno with some other system ?

Last edited by KMohanan : 9th June 2011 at 19:55. Reason: adding one more doubt
KMohanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 20:54   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

My 2005 Baleno also has this sticker. The 16V as you would know denotes the 16valves (4valves per cylinder). No idea about the "SMARTi Torque System" though. I believe all Balenos were similar except for later versions being detuned to 91bhp from the original 94bhp, to meet EIII norms.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 21:00   #78
BHPian

Default Beaten by the Baleno !

My Baleno's AC Fan motor (Motor of the fan fitted to the coil in front of the radiator of the car) failed. I need to change it. It is not readily available in Kochi. Maruti Service Centre told they can get it, but being an imported one (made in japan), it seems it will cost more than 10K !!! It look as a small 12 V motor.
Why any other make of almost same physical dimensions do not suit baleno ?

Can anybody help me ??

Smitten by Baleno and Beaten by Baleno ??
Old 11th June 2011, 23:10   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm. The Baleno comes with quite some SGP (Suzuki Genuine Parts) which are costly (due to being imported) and which is the sole reason why everytime a biker/auto in Chennai cuts me off rudely, I restrict myself from ramming the front of the car into them.

In Chennai I would go to GP Road and get a local equivalent. I am sure you have a similar setup in Cochin, where you can source a cheaper equivalent.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 10:18   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Hmmm. The Baleno comes with quite some SGP (Suzuki Genuine Parts) which are costly (due to being imported) and which is the sole reason why everytime a biker/auto in Chennai cuts me off rudely, I restrict myself from ramming the front of the car into them.

In Chennai I would go to GP Road and get a local equivalent. I am sure you have a similar setup in Cochin, where you can source a cheaper equivalent.
I think, I have four options now.

option 1. Since there is a seperate fan for radiator and when the car is running, automatic airflow will happen, for the time being, run the car without this AC fan. But, this may affect the cooling performance, especially when the car is in traffic blocks etc. Chilling AC is one of the points of attraction of Baleno which you have to compromise. Even radiator and engine coolant may get overheated in this option.

option 2 : Buy the Suzuki Genuine Part from Maruti for 11K or so and get it fixed. Guaranteed solution.

option 3 : Hunt in the old parts market ( one such market is there in Trichur, I do not know any in Kochi ) and get an old baleno AC Fan motor through bargaining and try luck. It may or may not last.

option 4 : Buy one new AC Fan motor of some other popular car. Try to 'make it suitable' for baleno and use it.

Option 1 may be ok for 1 or 2 weeks just for experimentation. I may be opting option 1 for 1-2 weeks by using the car carefully under controlled conditions keeping 1.5 eye in the temperature gauge to see whether heating is under control. There are many cars in which there is only a common fan for the radiator and AC grill.

Option 2 is not preferred by me. If it was 2-3 K, I would have chosen it considering the easiness and perfection of the solution.

Option 3 also is not in my priority list. I will do it if other methods fail.

Option 4 is my choice here. If any of the critical parts like engine parts, gearbox parts etc or any of the appearance affecting items like head lamps, rear lamps etc fail, then the only choice for us is the genuine part of the same brand of vehicle only. But, this fan is an external device which is integrated with the car only through the 12 V electric supply. Therefore, as long as a good quality 12 V fan matches physically, it should do the job. The airflow rate, yes, need checking- but I think, more or less they will be same.
Therefore, I am planning to check the AC Fan motor/Radiator Fan motor of popular brands (where it will be good quality, less price and widely available) like Maruti Alto/WagonR or Tata Indica/Indigo/Manza. This I will make suitable for the Baleno. Item being a brand new one will be more reliable and will offer long life.

I hope to come successful in the efforts. If I become successful, the same method may become useful for some of our BHPians also in the future. Having started my association with cars more than 20 years back with Amby and Padmini (where you get training and patience to sit with the workshop guy for the entire day ), I think this effort should come out successful. I have the will even now, BUT NO TIME. It may take weeks due to pressures in work place, but, I will find some time. What maruti is not doing, we can try to do. Indian solution.

In any case, I like the baleno. For the fault of Maruti not trying to localise baleno parts, why do I penalise the baleno ? (Once in a while this argument will stand, but if baleno continues to give such issues, then I will have to look on hard ways).

Last edited by KMohanan : 12th June 2011 at 10:22.
Old 12th June 2011, 13:44   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan
Option 4 is my choice here.
Yes, this seems to be your best bet for now. BTW, do post more details on this fan - let me check availability and price at GP Road here. If available and price is OK with you, I could source it for you (time permitting) - since I travel to Kerala once in 2 weeks, you could collect it from me at Cochin station or so.

Quote:
If I become successful, the same method may become useful for some of our BHPians also in the future.
Yes. Actually this reminds me that there is a thread on tbhp about this very thing - alternatives for costly Baleno spares. Do look up that thread too - maybe someone already has a solution for your problem.

Quote:
In any case, I like the baleno. For the fault of Maruti not trying to localise baleno parts, why do I penalise the baleno ?
While buying pre-owned cars enable us to get great cars at mouth-watering prices (like you did), the downside would be the damage due to parts failing + other maintenance. The SGP thing adding to the cost, as it is with the Baleno.
Old 12th June 2011, 22:21   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yes, this seems to be your best bet for now. BTW, do post more details on this fan - let me check availability and price at GP Road here. If available and price is OK with you, I could source it for you (time permitting) - since I travel to Kerala once in 2 weeks, you could collect it from me at Cochin station or so.
Thank you for your kind offer.
There is another interesting thing happened. I collected the faulty fan motor from the service centre. I collected the fan blades also to see the size etc. Motor is a japan motor and fan is made by Panasonic. Both look very sturdy and having good finish.
I cleaned both of them with damp cloth socked in soap water. Once I made them clean, I found it difficult to believe that such a well-built fan motor failed. I decided to verify it myself. I connected the fan motor to the battery of my nano. To my surprise, THE MOTOR IS WORKING VERY NICELY AND SILENTLY !!! It looks to have good power also. The blades by panasonic are very sturdy but ultra-light. I don't know what the service man has checked. Anyway, tomorrow morning, I am going back to the service station to return the fan motor 'REPAIRED'. Let me see what follows...
KMohanan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 22:40   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow !!! That is indeed ingenious. If it works on the Nano, I see no reason why it would not on the Baleno - it is indeed a pity that the traditional Indian way of "jugaad" is now giving way to if-it-does-not-work-just-replace, which is what the technician at MASS did.

Being a DIY person myself (be it cars or appliances at home) I know the unparalled satisfaction that we feel when we fix a broken thing by putting in effort/time. Apart from the money saved, your DIY not only resulted in 1 less product reaching the landfill, but also avoided using another resource. Kudos to you, Sir!!!

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 12th June 2011 at 22:42.
Old 13th June 2011, 21:01   #84
BHPian

Today evening I received the baleno after the AC servicing. The AC Fan motor works perfectly fine . AC also. So, a simple check resulted in saving 11k for me and another big saving is my time which I would have spent looking for alternate solutions or old parts !!!

I think, the following sequence must have happened at the service centre.

The actual problem with the fan motor not working may be due to the connector being loose.
1. Mechanic must have found that the Fan not working when AC is switched on.
2. He must have disconnected the fan and checked the point with a test lamp. The lamp must have lit indicating that the supply is ok. Then he must have inferred wrongly that the fan motor has gone bad, without separately testing the fan motor.

I know, here I am thinking positive, otherwise there are many other possibilities of attempt to loot money etc. Since I do not have any idea on what has really happened, I assume that things must have happened the way I narrated above.

Another interesting thing :
One of my fog lamps was not working. When I have shown in another 'reputed' maruti authorised service centre, they told me that the bulb is fused, the bulb alone cannot be replaced as it is a sealed unit, the whole fog lamp to be replaced costing 1.5K. I replied that I will come later and left the place. But, today, I find that this maruti authorised service centre man has replaced the bulb of the fog lamp and it is working now. He charged Rs. 46.74 as the bulb cost. What are all these ??

Last edited by KMohanan : 13th June 2011 at 21:07.
Old 14th June 2011, 11:41   #85
BHPian

Wow. That was pretty smart of you, KMohanan. Goes to show how a little work results in huge saving. I myself am guilty of going by whatever the service center guy says but I am also fortunate to have a very good service guy who would make that extra effort on my behalf like what you did with your fan motor.
NoRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 10:31   #86
BHPian

Had a small problem in my Baleno. Day before the AC compressor suddenly stopped working. The blower was working fine but it was not cooling. Sent it to the service centre. It seems the thermo-switch conked off. Got it replaced. Costed me 1650/-.
Old 19th June 2011, 19:29   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Wow. That was pretty smart of you, KMohanan. Goes to show how a little work results in huge saving. I myself am guilty of going by whatever the service center guy says but I am also fortunate to have a very good service guy who would make that extra effort on my behalf like what you did with your fan motor.
It is always a relief to have a known and expert mechanic. However, everytime you should be careful about the billing. Do not 'blindly' pay whatever he asks. I am not telling that you should bargain, YOU SHOULD ASK FOR THE SPLIT UPS AND SERVICE CHARGES EVERYTIME SO THAT THE MECHANIC WILL FEEL THAT YOU ARE OBSERVING EACH POINT AND HE WILL BECOME CAREFUL. You may feel it is unnecessary, but I am talking from my experiences.

I have visited the tourist spot 'Kulamavu' near Idukki (Kerala) in my Baleno. Excellent trip. Hilly area, but Good roads. Mileage got is close to 15 kmpl with full AC on (Auto Climate Control mode).

Now, we will shift our discussions on the costly spares and servicing aspects of baleno in the more appropriate thread dedicated for that topic.

Once again, thank you all friends, who have helped me also to become a proud owner of the baleno beauty.
Old 20th June 2011, 15:09   #88
BHPian

I came back today from a 600 km road trip to my native place on NH-7. My Baleno returned 14 kmpl with AC on all the time.
Old 24th July 2011, 17:57   #89
BHPian

Default Baleno Surprised me again....

My Baleno's Blower stopped working. In any speed 1,2,3 or 4 you put, no air comes out. The AC is working, but since blower not working, no benefit.
Due to lack of time, I had to drive the car without AC for few days. Then, I took the car to the Maruti Authorised Service Centre. They checked it and confirmed that it is not a simple issue like 'blown fuse' etc. They removed the blower motor and regulator. See the photos. First two photos show the regulator (both sides) which controls the speed of the blower and next two photos show the Blower Motor (both sides).

They informed that the regulator has gone and will cost Rs. 2000 for new one. The blower motor also is truck and need replacement. On hearing the cost of such a small and simple regulator, I was afraid to ask for the cost of the blower motor. I expect it to be nearly Rs. 10,000. I asked them to give the parts to me so that I can think of what is to be done. They gave me the parts.

In the night, during my 'thinking time', I remembered one of my old AC mechanic at Ernakulam who had installed an excellent AC (not new one) in my earlier mahindra jeep and everybody travelling in my jeep used to ask about the AC. I went to him with the parts. On inspection of the parts, he told me that, the blower motor is struck and he will service it. Also, one component inside the regulator has gone and he told he will repair it and give. After two days he called me and I went with my baleno. He had serviced the blower motor and repaired the regulator. He fitted both the components in my car and it was working as earlier. Due to my (over) safety consciousness, I asked him whether he had done such work earlier. He told that so many he had done and he told that replacing these parts will empty the pocket of owners !! He charged only Rs. 150 for the complete work. After this I have covered about 300 kms in AC and absolutely no problem. My baleno has surprised me again...
Attached Images

Old 24th July 2011, 18:54   #90
Senior - BHPian

LOlz Mohanan it seems you are living a lucky dream with your Baleno. Great wish you many more miles of such luck, mate. Even my Baleno had some AC issues last year but a GAS top up seemed to solve the issue just fine.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote