Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 17th September 2008, 00:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Time to take the plunge - Baleno or OHC???

Hi Friends,

After going through most of the hatchbacks thread and almost zeroing in on the Indica Vista, there is this sudden itch in the family to go for a SEDAN rather than another hatch (own an Indica V2 & M800 already). Now if its a Sedan, i made it clear that it has to be a good driver's car & other things will fall next in queue.

I have now come to a point where in I want to buy a Baleno or an OHC(best drivers car as said on T-Bhp). Since both are not currently in production, i have to settle for a used car.. Now the info that I need from all the gurus here is answers to the questions below to help me in my purchase:

* Comparing OHC and Baleno, which is the best and most comfy to drive in crawling city traffic (minimum gear changes) as well as for long drives?

* Which among the 2 offers smooth ride over bad roads & comfort for both front & back passengers alike? (yes though i am keen on a driver's car, will not be alone always, so passenger comfort also counts to an extent)

* Are both the cars having an ergonomic seating position for the driver?

* Which would be light on the wallet to maintain (in terms of spares, servicing costs, repairs etc) among the 2?

* Does Baleno have rattling issues that MUL cars are notorious for? Or does OHC also rattle after say 3-4 years? Concerned since i am going for a used car which might be a 2003 OHC which will already be 5 years old or a 2005 Baleno which will be 3 years.

* Which is a more fuel efficient car? (not that it matters much in the city driving but highway driving should return a good mileage as the car will make many long trips as well)

* Which is the safer/tougher car in terms of crashes among the 2? Not that i am a rash or careless driver but due to someone else's mistake, we might end up in a crash as well. So the safer the car the better.

Also some general pointers like what's the max that can be offered for a well maintained car in Bangalore and if any of you people are acquainted with dealers or friends in used car dealerships, please assist. I will also look out on the net and visit a few used car dealerships this weekend.

There is no tearing hurry to buy the car. Budget is 3.75L and it can go upto 4L. The car will be used for minimum 3 years so it has to last that long without burning holes in my pockets. Also the car will be taken on loan for now and an early settlement will be done as & when i get the moolah!!

PS: Had this question lingering at the back of my mind. Since both are petrols, how many kms will the engine run without any engine troubles..? Important to know so that i know if its safe to go for a OHC which has done 45k odd kms or settle for a 30k kms done baleno !!!
abhinav.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 02:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Considering the nature of your questions and your budget, you'd be better off with the baleno.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 02:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Considering the nature of your questions and your budget, you'd be better off with the baleno.

Shan2nu
Thanks for a speedy response Shan2nu.. Any ideas what's the max price to offer for a used baleno. Some examples or real life experiences of acquaintances would help a lot.
abhinav.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 02:49   #4
BHPian

The Baleno will be the better of the 2. Especially due to maintainance being easier on the wallet. It's a great drivers car, and is quite comfortable for a family too.

We sold our 04 Baleno with 38K on the Odo for around 3.8 Lakhs. It was the VXi if I remember correctly, and it was immaculate! Serviced on time, not a single dent. There was 1 scratch on the left side of the front bumper. [This was early 07 and sold to a friend so sold kinda cheap]

Considering my experience, you shouldn't have to pay more than 3.25 for a well maintained example...

cheers:
PS: Take a look at the Classifieds section
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 04:30   #5
BHPian

Default Hi Abhinav

Baleno is always a great and power packed machine, its a Beast ..
check our T-bhp classifieds there few Baleno's for Sale -
one of those -
Team-BHP Classifieds - 2005 Model Baleno Lxi for sale. - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Bhargava_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 11:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

As a package, the Vtec is a far better driver's car IMO. But the baleno scores in city traffic with minimal gear changes. Certainly the OHC feels more spacious. Most of all the Vtec is a stunner & will make you a proud owner. Saying that, I doubt if you will get a well maintained 2003 Vtec for anything less than 4.5 to 5L in Bangalore.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 11:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

All things being equal, I think an old Honda is any day better than an old Maruti. This is irrespective of model.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 12:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Since you are going for a used car, its best to keep your options open till the last minute and choose between Baleno and OHC depending on what is available in the used car market at the time of purchase.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 12:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Considering all the requirements i suggest Baleno and OHC may be a bit pricey.
There won't be rattling issues with OHC i guess. (i don't have atleast).
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 12:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

abhinav with a 4lac budget you are better off with a baleno since the OHC has become a rare commodity now. Its like finding a vintage in bangy these days.
Lets say you get successful in finding one, it would either be thrashed properly by the previous owner and a well maintained one would burn a deep hole in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Certainly the OHC feels more spacious.
John I dis-agree coz I somehow cant fit in there. Have found the baleno's driving position much comfy in comparo to the v-tec.

Quote:
Most of all the Vtec is a stunner & will make you a proud owner.
Cant agree any better here. The vtec scores anyday over the baleno in the looks department.
Quote:
Saying that, I doubt if you will get a well maintained 2003 Vtec for anything less than 4.5 to 5L in Bangalore.
Spot on !! His chances are really rare.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 12:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Considering your queries and the reviews I gone through it would be feasible to go in for a Baleno. OHC as rjstyles has put it, will be costlier to maintain as the model is out of production and the availability of spares might be a big question if you keep the car beyond 2~3 years. Bargain hard and go for Baleno...
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 14:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post

* Comparing OHC and Baleno, which is the best and most comfy to drive in crawling city traffic (minimum gear changes) as well as for long drives?

* Which among the 2 offers smooth ride over bad roads & comfort for both front & back passengers alike? (yes though i am keen on a driver's car, will not be alone always, so passenger comfort also counts to an extent)

* Are both the cars having an ergonomic seating position for the driver?

* Which would be light on the wallet to maintain (in terms of spares, servicing costs, repairs etc) among the 2?

* Does Baleno have rattling issues that MUL cars are notorious for? Or does OHC also rattle after say 3-4 years? Concerned since i am going for a used car which might be a 2003 OHC which will already be 5 years old or a 2005 Baleno which will be 3 years.
For all those queries BALENO should be the outright choice.!!

PS: Headers where are u?
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 14:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
PS: Headers where are u?
headers should be thinking on how to go about writing an ownership report about his RWD honda. After all he thinks MUL took Indians for a ride with the introduction of the Esteem and baleno ( pun intended) .
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 15:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

John I dis-agree coz I somehow cant fit in there. Have found the baleno's driving position much comfy in comparo to the v-tec.
Of course you have to disagree. You are a proud baleno owner, what else will you do ?

However I agree to your disagreement (what are friends for ?) in the sense that driving position is a personal thing, sometimes tall people are comfortable in a small car & in certain cases short people are comfortable in large cars. I was talking about the general spaciousness of the OHC.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 15:23   #15
BHPian

You missed another drivers car and T-bhp favorite - Ikon 1.6; it goes for really cheap these days, parts arent a problem as its 1.3 variant is still being sold, but you may have to compromise on maintenance and A$$. BTW, how about a used Siena/Petra 1.6? There is a 2003 black Siena 1.6 listed in Bangalore at New Cars, Used Cars, Buy Cars, Sell Cars, New Car Prices, Used Car Prices - CarWale.com asking 2.25 with LPG, haggle hard for 1.75 and you have it at 50% of your budget... let us know what you finally did... cheers!
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote