Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 3rd August 2009, 01:29   #16
BHPian

Hi All,

It's been a long road. In fact it's taken just under a year but I have finally sold my Zen Lxi (at a fairly decent price) and bought a 2007 July Esteem Vxi with 19000 Kms on the clock. The car is in pretty good condition but I still did a full 20K service and I have already changed the useless JK tyres to Michelin XM1+ with Neo alloys. Headlights upgraded to 90/100. Pipercross air filter. New brake discs as the brakes were juddering when braking at speed. Lots more to come. Watch this space.

SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 07:28   #17
BHPian

kon'nichiwa Suzuki San. From one 'san' to another ; wish you all the best with your new esteem. Do post some pictures of the mods and the original car. Will also help us to 'visualise' how the process improves upon the original vehicle.
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 10:06   #18
BHPian

@suzuki san.
Why do you want to buy a secondhand Esteem ?
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 22:53   #19
BHPian

Hi ambivalent,

It's just that I have always had a fascination for the Esteem and it is also capable of being modded.

Speaking of mods, I have now added NGK Iridium plugs, a complete FFE including headers from Viper Performance. Throttle body has also been enlarged. Have fitted an original Japanes Exedy Daikin clutch. V Kool film. New Pioneer deck and speakers as the original Kenwood did not have enough bass.

The car is absolutely flying now and does 150kph in 3rd. gear. Ran out of road before I could check the top speed.

Regards,

SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 23:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

@suzuki san: Checked your gallery. Great pics there esp the alloys. Can you share the model number and price for the same? Thanks.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 10:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Need some advice guys.

I'm getting a 2003 LXI for 1.75lacs (quoted):
single owner
60k kms
insurance expired yesterday!
clean interiors & bodyline
decent ICE (hate the DVD screen on the roof tho!)
clutch overhaul done at 58k kms
new tyres (useless spare tyre tho)
a slight hitch in the left front power window motor (sometimes gets stuck or takes too long to close).

Does this sound like a good deal? Sounds a tad over priced to me though carwale shows 1.75lacs as a fair price. I was expecting it to be around 1.5lacs given that i will need to buy a spare tyre and insurance.
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 10:49   #22
BHPian

Hi Nilesh

The price is a bit high. 1.55 is probably the max that you must give for this.

Did you check the condition of the suspension components?

Forget the slow left front power window, it is a known problem in Esteems.
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 11:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
The car is absolutely flying now and does 150kph in 3rd. gear. Ran out of road before I could check the top speed.

Regards,

SS
The esteem's 3rd gear will take you to 150kph regardless of mods or stock. Its the way it gets to that speed that matters.
NOS Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 11:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Hi Nilesh

The price is a bit high. 1.55 is probably the max that you must give for this.

Did you check the condition of the suspension components?

Forget the slow left front power window, it is a known problem in Esteems.
Hi Jeep. Yes, i did check the suspension. Seems pretty good over large bumpers and pot holes. Thanks for the response!

I also remember that this car shudders, very slightly tho, when i change the gear and release the clutch to accelerate. Its not a big shudder, barely noticeable but its there. What could be the issue? Is this a show stopper enough to make me walk away from this car?
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 14:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Hi Jeep. Yes, i did check the suspension. Seems pretty good over large bumpers and pot holes. Thanks for the response!

I also remember that this car shudders, very slightly tho, when i change the gear and release the clutch to accelerate. Its not a big shudder, barely noticeable but its there. What could be the issue? Is this a show stopper enough to make me walk away from this car?
Please check the following before purchase

- AC. If it is R12, then avoid it. I had to get the whole AC system changed on my 2000 Esteem, as R12 is no longer available. Cost 20K+.
- Windows. This is perennial problem. You have to change the whole winder mechanism (the mechanical part) and get the motor serviced. In my Esteem I tried a lot of things but the problem kept returning till I changed the mechanism. Cost around 1K per window.
- Check the exhaust system. It should have shown rust damage by now. You have to get the main pipe changed. Cost around 3K
- Shudder. Can be either the clutch or the engine mounting. On an old car it may be both!
- Head Lights. Check if the lights have dimmed. If so better get both the front head lights changed.
- Brakes. Brake fluid is due to change. Shoes to be checked and changed if worn.

As such in Delhi market it should cost around 1.25-1.4L. I do not know about Pune.

Regarding 150 in third. You can do 105 in second. With 150 in third you will not get much more in fourth or fifth!

To check the Engine power, switch the AC on and with 2/3 persons in the car see if you can accelerate from the 1500 rpm range in third. If the engine is OK, then you will get good response till 2500 rpm after which it should take off. If it feels sluggish, then the engine needs looking to.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 22:01   #26
BHPian

My colleague is trying to sell his second hand esteem. Its specs -
  • Dec 2005 make VXi BSIII model
  • Run 38000 kms
  • Mileage - 12kmpl in city and 16-18kmpl on highway (per my colleague)
  • Tyres are still the original 175/70 R13...needs to be changed
  • Insurance expires on Dec 2010.
  • The asking price is 2.3Lakhs
Is this a good deal? I would like to go for this car. I have visually inspected it and it looks in super condition from the outside. Will be taking a test drive on Monday.

Is it worth going for a second hand esteem as it is a phased out model? Would there be issues with spares? Anything else that I need to keep in mind?
sidharth_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 13:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_j View Post
My colleague is trying to sell his second hand esteem. Its specs -
  • Dec 2005 make VXi BSIII model
  • Run 38000 kms
  • Mileage - 12kmpl in city and 16-18kmpl on highway (per my colleague)
  • Tyres are still the original 175/70 R13...needs to be changed
  • Insurance expires on Dec 2010.
  • The asking price is 2.3Lakhs
Is this a good deal? I would like to go for this car. I have visually inspected it and it looks in super condition from the outside. Will be taking a test drive on Monday.

Is it worth going for a second hand esteem as it is a phased out model? Would there be issues with spares? Anything else that I need to keep in mind?
sidharth_j

Please refer to my post above. All points still hold - AC, Clutch, Brakes, Tyres would most probably require service/replacement (15K-25K). The price seems to be as bit on the higher side.

Spares are available, at least in Delhi. I just got my windshield replaced with original MUL one (4K). Some small parts especially light covers are a bit difficult to find, but available.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote