Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2006, 21:48   #31
BANNED

Default Diesel or petrol vehicle

Guys, I need a little advise.
I intend to go for one of the Tata Indica variants, but which one, I dont know. I am willing to spend no more than 4L.
Also, I am very confused about whether I should go in for a diesel vehicle or petrol. What would be some of the pros and cons of owning a diesel vehicle and what would be the single most deciding factor in the same regard.

Please advise.
Old 21st May 2006, 22:01   #32
BHPian

It depends on how many kms u drive.I've a Petrol Indica which gives around 12.5 km/l.I drive only 60-70 kms a week.If u drive more then go for diesel otherwise petrol rocks!!!
Old 21st May 2006, 22:15   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva_cool87
It depends on how many kms u drive.I've a Petrol Indica which gives around 12.5 km/l.I drive only 60-70 kms a week.If u drive more then go for diesel otherwise petrol rocks!!!
Shiva,

I don't think I'd be doing a whole lotta driving within the city; however, I simply enjoy taking long, out of city road-trips and at times, even out of state (maybe once/twice a month)
What would you suggest then?
Old 21st May 2006, 22:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

If its long highway drives then i'd suggest the diesel...the turbo. The petrol version although very good will never be able to match the economy of the diesel.

On the other hand the petrol will be cheaper to maintain.

Drifter
Old 21st May 2006, 22:48   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
If its long highway drives then i'd suggest the diesel...the turbo. The petrol version although very good will never be able to match the economy of the diesel.

On the other hand the petrol will be cheaper to maintain.

Drifter
Drifter,

So what you're suggesting is that although the maintenance costs of the diesel is higher than the petrol, it is easier on the wallet in terms of gas price, am I correct?
Old 21st May 2006, 23:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha
Drifter,

So what you're suggesting is that although the maintenance costs of the diesel is higher than the petrol, it is easier on the wallet in terms of gas price, am I correct?
If you travel long distances then because of economy of diesel even with high maintenance at the end diesel car turns out to be cheaper.
Old 22nd May 2006, 00:08   #37
BANNED

Now I don't really have a whole lot of options with regard to
diesel vehicles when my budget's under 4L, do I!!
Also, has anyone in here driven the Indica diesel? Is it really noisy?
Old 22nd May 2006, 01:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

Some calculations I did sometime ago on cost of ownership...may come in handy

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ent+NHC+diesal
Old 22nd May 2006, 10:00   #39
BHPian

just between the two original choices that u have, i wud settle for a baleno if performence and stability matter else i wud have gone for indigo.

i personally was in this dilemma until i bought a baleno. looks, power, feel and comfort, the indigo does not even come close.

finally go for a test drive and follow ur own decision. the way i take a test ride is half way in the drivers seat the while coming back on the back seat, gives a good idea to the full comfort level of seats.
Old 23rd May 2006, 21:35   #40
BANNED

Guys, I'm sorry, but despite going over the previous threads, I still find myself in two minds between a diesel or a petrol vehicle.
I am in the process of buying a new car and am trying to do a lot of research prior to making a decision and putting the dough down.
As I've said, I know that I want to settle for an Indica; however, a few questions again come to mind.
1. Do I want a diesel or a petrol? I've asked this before and I will ask again: what should be THE SINGLE-MOST DECIDING FACTOR in choosing one over the other. I reside in Mumbai and don't do a lot of driving within the city, maybe 20-30 kms/day. However, I do go for out-of-city/out-of-state road trips pretty often, I'd say about twice a month.
I've also gotten to hear that a diesel car cannot be left idle(not running) for more than a couple of days, cause this would sort of be bad for the engine. Is this true?
I would greatly appreciate comments from members that own or have owned a diesel vehicle in the past.
2. If diesel, what variant of the Indica would one recommend for 4L and under.
If petrol, what variant would one recommend for 4L and under.
3. Economically, what would make more sense, buying a diesel or a petrol car. Sure, prices of petrol are a lot higher than diesel, but then again, is owning a diesel car high-maintenance? Because if it is, then the equation's kinda even.

Please advise.
Old 23rd May 2006, 22:30   #41
Senior - BHPian

Simple rule of thumb.

Driving > 1000~1500 km per month, go for diesel else go for petrol.

You can end up with a lemon in any case, so dont bother about long term diesel/petrol maintenance costs. Nowadays, reliability wise there is not much difference. Yes petrols do generally provide better performance as well as driving pleasure than diesels, price remianing the same.

For the price range you are looking at then go for the Indica/Santro/WagonR/Zen. They will not disappoint you in anyway. Long term costs, NPV are not much different. If you are considering a sedan then things become different.
Old 23rd May 2006, 23:21   #42
BANNED

typeOnegative,

I looked at the Santro/WagonR/Zen , but I like the Indica.
Could you suggest a petrol and a diesel variant in the Indica for my price range?

You stated that,"Nowadays, reliability wise there is not much difference. Yes petrols do generally provide better performance as well as driving pleasure than diesels, price remianing the same."
So, if I understand correctly, we would eventually be spending the same amount of money with both cars, however, driving pleasure and enhanced performance would be experienced only with the petrol?
Old 23rd May 2006, 23:27   #43
Senior - BHPian

The dls (3.88) would be in your budget...power steering + ac. If you stretch the dlg(front power windows, fogs, rear wash-wipe and defogger) is available at 4.07 lakhs.

But after having said that i'd suggest the turbo dlg at 4.19 lakhs. The normal v2 lacks grunt.

Source: ACI (prices on road)

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 23rd May 2006 at 23:36.
Old 23rd May 2006, 23:32   #44
Senior - BHPian

For a low budget car, its better getting a Petrol cuz their diesel engines don't seem to be as much fun compared to their pertol variants. For a minimum diesel, get the Accent. Its really good and u'll never even feel the need for a petrol car.

The best entry level diesel car would have to be the Accent, all the other cars ranging below it are crap.
Old 24th May 2006, 00:32   #45
BANNED

Hey Karthik,

Thanks for the info man. It's just that the Accent, though a very nice car, is way above my budget.
You're suggesting that with my kinda budget, a petrol would be the best choice, correct?
Also, any Indica petrol variants you might wanna recommend? Or are all of 'em pretty similar.
Closed Thread