Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 22nd March 2005, 19:18   #1
BHPian

Question Petrol Vs Diesel

Hi Guys,

I've just joined the forum - in fact just a few hours back. I have browsed through many discussions here and still I'm starting this age old discussion all over again.

I have Indica V2 - 2001. Have driven it for about 55k now. Gives me FE of 14.5~15 in Mumbai with AC on half the time (that is on way to office - way back is late nights so no AC reqd). On Pune trips I have been getting 17+ regularly.

In terms of maintenance, the car hasn't troubled me a lot but I have been sending the car for service every 3-4 months or 5000 Km. There has been not one incident where the car has troubled me on road. The only issue is the quality i.e. switches, locks, wipers etc etc that keep on failing time and again. Even if they don't stop the car from running, it's a big irritation.

I'm now looking at upgrading to a bigger or rather better car in range upto 7L total. I really don't need a car bigger than Indica as it just serves my purpose but there are not much options.

The first question is should I go for Petrol or Diesel and why.

Next question is which car ? - My choices are Indigo LX or Baleno LXi in Diesel or Petrol respectively.

Looking for all suggestions. I'm likely to decide as soon as Indigo Euro III is announced.

Regards

Umesh
Old 22nd March 2005, 19:25   #2
bhp
BHPian

i think the baleno would be absolutely fine if u are looking for some power and a deep pocket compared to ur indica and if u are satisfied with ur tata indica then there is nothing better than indigo in that price range
happy shopping !!
Old 22nd March 2005, 19:30   #3
BHPian

If a Diesel car, go for the Accent CRDi.. Just luv the car.. Guess many feel the same.. The engine too rocks big time...
Old 22nd March 2005, 19:40   #4
bhp
BHPian

yes u can get an viva crdi somewhere around 7 lakhs but it is too noisy but a great quick responsive engine ... bhpian drifter shall throw some light on his experience as he has a accent crdi
Old 22nd March 2005, 19:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Both are decent cars. I am not a big fan of the Tata cars, but the Indigo is VFM. And the Baleno is the best petrol option for the amount of money you have and for the car segment you are looking at.

You have to decide whether you want Petrol or Diesel. If you decide petrol then the choice is obvious - the Baleno. But if you decide Diesel then, if you have 7 lakhs, the Indigo somehow does not make sense. Go for the Accent CRDI or the Petra 1.9D ELX (if you do not mind buying a Fiat).

Regarding whether Diesel is better or Petrol, is something you have to decide. I am kind of indifferent to both as a fuel and prefer petrol cars to the diesel ones. We can realistically assume that the price difference between the two fuels will reduce over time and I for one do not see the need to invest in a diesel if cost of running is the sole criterion.
Old 22nd March 2005, 19:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
bhpian drifter shall throw some light on his experience as he has a accent crdi
Also get some info about it from other Accent CRDi owners here..
artofzen and kphilip..
Old 22nd March 2005, 22:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Umesh ,

first welkome to the gang !

Quote:
Originally Posted by umeshd
I'm now looking at upgrading to a bigger or rather better car in range upto 7L total. I really don't need a car bigger than Indica as it just serves my purpose but there are not much options.

The first question is should I go for Petrol or Diesel and why.

Next question is which car ? - My choices are Indigo LX or Baleno LXi in Diesel or Petrol respectively.

Looking for all suggestions. I'm likely to decide as soon as Indigo Euro III is announced.

Regards

Umesh
dude - u want a better or bigger car ? or both ?? are you going to dispose off the indica or keep it ?

if you are not selling the indica and u say u dont need a car bigger than the indica.....then y go for the baleno - i say go for the GETZ. its a more modern car..fresher looking , better interiors and as big as the indica. also since the indica is a diesel ,getz being a petrol will be good...best of both worlds.

but if you are getting rid of the indica and you are perfectly happy with TATA , i say go in for the indigo. its a diesel and will serve you well.

Accent crdi is good - but loses on the space to indigo. but gives driving pleasure and FE ....so take your time and decide
hope this helps

cheers
Old 22nd March 2005, 22:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Diesel vs Petrol

Diesel cars are generally preffered by people who clock high mileage in short periods of time.

A modern diesel engine is pretty good in performance while still not sacrificing its fuel efficiency.

Why Buy Diesel?
To avail of the price benefit of diesel vs petrol.
To really get back on your investment, your monthly running should be more than 2500kms a month.

Maintenence Issues
Not really...modern diesels are reliable and donot require much attention. Just stick to regular service intervals and you should have no problems.

Cons of buying diesel
They can be noisy...atleast in the price range of 7 lakhs...
Vibrations can be a bit annoying.
Driving pleasure is not something to look at if you buy anything below the accent/viva crdi.

Accent CRDi
This car has given us what only mercedes were offering with their fabulous CDi engines.

Pros
Performance is really good for a 3-cylinder diesel engine. That wave of torque can be really addictive. Its quite for a direct injection motor but the noise can still be intrusive at times. The engine is the best part in this car apart from interiors which are nice as well. It gives about 13-14kmpl in town and about 18-19kmpl on the highway.

Cons
Like most cars, the accent is not perfect. The handling is fine not too good. The back seats may not be comfortable for everyone. And stock tyres are just pathetic. So if you do buy it...make sure you get fatter rubber.

Prices
Viva CRDi is around 6.8 lakhs (thane)
Accent CRDi is around 7.46 lakhs (thane-on road)

Summary
Its the best combination of power and economy on the lower side of the skoda octavia 1.9 TDi.

Last edited by drifter : 22nd March 2005 at 22:32.
Old 22nd March 2005, 22:40   #9
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
Maintenence Issues
Not really...modern diesels are reliable and donot require much attention. Just stick to regular service intervals and you should have no problems.

drifter,

Any idea about the life of modern diesels ? Is it comparable to the petrol engines or is it way less ?
Old 22nd March 2005, 22:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well with the advances in metal strengths, a modern diesel should last as long as a petrol engine if not more...provided its taken good care of.
(They are built to withstand higher compression ratios than petrol engines, so are built accordingly with materials of higher strength.)

A petrol engine can survive some amount of abuse (read bad fuel) but diesels are different, they have to be taken care of especially the new CRDi engines.

Drifter
Old 22nd March 2005, 22:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi

Between the Indigo D and the Accent D, I would suggest the Indigo if you're looking at space and comfort from a bigger car AND if you do long trips.

The Accent has a terrific diesel engine which performs like a petrol and has excellent levels of quality supported by a very good service network, but space at the back is nowhere near that of the Indigo and the backseats are rather low for long distance comfort.

IF you're going the diesel way (I am still of the opinion that diesels are costlier to maintain in the long run, modern or not - ignition is still achieved by compression which causes the fuel to explode) then your options would be along these lines:

1. If you're going to be driving the car most of the time, dont really require the backseat for yourself or for others and your running is restricted to City and short trips out of town, the Accent D is the way to go.

2. If you're looking for space and comfort over long distances, the Indigo is it. Its quieter, has FE figures similar to the Accent D, is VERY comfortable over long distances and the boot will hold most of your worldly possessions.

Both cars insulate the occupants very well from bad roads.

Cheers

Steer
Old 22nd March 2005, 23:47   #12
BHPian

Umeshd,with a budget of 7L,i think the Accent CRDi wld be the best choice for you,especially after rising petrol prices by a incredulous 5rs.The car gives about 14kmpl in city with AC & 17kmpl on the highway,which could improve.When it comes to comfort,doubt Koreans are good at it,the driver is provided with reasonable comfort,but for the passengers it feels cramped in comparison
The CRDi rides and handles better than its petrol siblings cause it uses a stiffer suspension to tackle the additional weight of the engine but again not stiff enough for enthusiasts driving it.
The 3 cylinder engine is crisp & responsive. Power in the mid and low range is particularly strong & there is minimal turbo-lag & with skilled driving u could see yourself fishtailing most of the petrol cars on our roads.
Just few problems-Its vibrates too much,Korean & simply dosnt look as good from the out as it is in the heart.
Old 23rd March 2005, 13:07   #13
BHPian

Thanks to all of you guys first.

Our decision on new car is gonna be based mainly on comparison against current Indica. We will sell off Indica for sure as I can't afford 2 cars.

I have so far seen following:

Baleno LXi / City EXi / Accend CRDi & Viva / Getz / Icon 1.3 / Indigo and just out of curiocity for the CRD engine have checked Scorpio CRD.

Fiat is no because of their current image.

The must have for new car is rear seat space comparable to Indica. Should seat 3 adults in decent comfort rather than fit them in. That takes Accent CRDi off the list. I have looked at Getz and found the rear seat is uncomfortable for 3 adults. Baleno/City backseat is probably the best but there's no leg space. Indigo is no questions - same as what we have.

Boot or no boot realy makes no difference as my family trips are at max 2 or rarely 3 days. But anything less than Indica boot is a no no. Here every car above scores over Indica.

Quality wise I don't want to send car to service center to get switches, wiper blades, lamps, door switches replaced more than once a year. This is where Tata's are on lowest rank.

Noise levels should be preferably less. Here's where petrols score over diesels but I've test driven Scorpio CRD and I'm okay with that much noise level. I guess Indigo will be even quiet.

Lastly I did a rough calculation on annual cost of ownership for 4 years between Baleno LXi and Indigo considering buying cost (6.5L baleno and 6.25 on road for Indigo EuroIII), FE for both at 12 in town, 16 on highway, 2 services for baleno and 3 for indigo, 15000Km annual run (7.5k in town / 7.5k on highway) and the resale value. The calculation says I'll spend about 1L more on baleno at the end of 4 years.

Now . . . up to you guys again to shoot your thoughts.

Regards

Umesh
Old 23rd March 2005, 18:35   #14
BHPian

Well if paying for petrol is not your problem,go for the Baleno.It is spacious & the engine is refined,reliable & fun to drive.People say it looks barge,but for me it looks promising & i am sure it is.
But if you feel the Indigo would be a better choice,trust me,go for the Accent CRDi.
Old 23rd March 2005, 20:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Go for the indigo if you have to travel on the backseat...and if you are going to be driving...then nothing comes close to the CRDi in this price bracket.
The indigo is way more comfortable than the accent anyday.

Drifter
Closed Thread