Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2008, 12:50   #76
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda
I have 2 friends who both picked up cars roughly at the same time, one a CITY and the other SX4 the SX4 guy now 'sincerely' hopes he too bought the HONDA these are his words " if the Honda is made of steel then my car (SX4) is made of sand and straw" (sorry MUL - that's not me, it was Kurien) so now you see ! ?
I guess the City in question is the NHC. If so, regarding build strength / robustness, I find it surprising that someone should rate it above the SX4, which is IMO built more solid (compared to the NHC), given the extra 200-odd kgs it packs in, which surely did not make its way to the engine. If Kurien said this about the M800, I could understand - given the weak body - you lean against the doors, it could go in. But no way for the SX4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayaksudhir
Picked up the latest issue of OD yesterday. The much touted fuel effeciency and power of ANHC has gone phut, if this magazine is to be believed. I am quoting the performance figures here.
Dont know about the ANHC's FE since it is too premature to discuss it. But the city FE of SX4 seems reasonable to me, though the highway FE of 18kmpl seems too optimistic, to put it mildly. Same for the highway FE of ANHC. 18-odd kmpl highway FE is like low-weight and low-powered hatch territory. But then OD was the mag that gave an FE of 26kmpl for NHC, right ? So nothing surprising here.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 13:12   #77
BHPian
 
johnda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tvla
Posts: 401
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

It's interesting to see the way things are swaying and changing on this thread, more broadly the topic of CITY or SX4, infact to start with I, myself stated that the City rules and then that the ANHC might be overrated, we had aalaap almost booking one and then thanks to his dad changed plans and is heading for the SX4.
Taking about folks who brought both cars they have only good thing to say (except kurien) :-)
My conclusion - SX4 and the City are Both great cars and whoever buy one know that his is Greater. A Honda fan can never change his mind, the Suzuki guy happens to be on the opposite side of the same pole!

Ain't I right?
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 13:35   #78
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Nothing to do with Honda or Suzuki fan. Just the facts. If someone tells me that the NHC (not ANHC) is more FE than SX4, I would agree. But to say that the SX4 is weak as straw, while the NHC is strong as steel, is anything but the fact.

Regarding the ANHC, I liked the looks from the mags before it was released and also liked it in the metal. I did feel the price to be high, but most in the forum felt it to be well-priced. But off late, looks like people here are not really happy with the package - for various reasons. Only time will tell how it sells. From Honda's Indian track record, I would think it will do well.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 13:42   #79
BHPian
 
Path_Finder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 623
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
It's interesting to see the way things are swaying and changing on this thread, more broadly the topic of CITY or SX4, infact to start with I, myself stated that the City rules and then that the ANHC might be overrated, we had aalaap almost booking one and then thanks to his dad changed plans and is heading for the SX4.
Taking about folks who brought both cars they have only good thing to say (except kurien) :-)
My conclusion - SX4 and the City are Both great cars and whoever buy one know that his is Greater. A Honda fan can never change his mind, the Suzuki guy happens to be on the opposite side of the same pole!

Ain't I right?
Very right. I find the initial enthusiasm on the ANHC taking a deep dive. Leave out the committed delivery dates; they still have not been able to offer vehicles for TD. No official news about the famed FE which was the USP of its predecessors. Die hard Honda fans still clinging onto hope while the more practical ones went for the SX4. More ironical is the Fiesta vs ANHC thread – it has almost fully changed to new Fiesta owners’ thread!
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 13:47   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,580
Thanked: 823 Times
Default

Its not fair for City or other cars to jump to conclusions. Why can't we wait a little to find how they fare ?
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 14:35   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
karanraheja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Very right. I find the initial enthusiasm on the ANHC taking a deep dive. Leave out the committed delivery dates; they still have not been able to offer vehicles for TD. No official news about the famed FE which was the USP of its predecessors. Die hard Honda fans still clinging onto hope while the more practical ones went for the SX4. More ironical is the Fiesta vs ANHC thread – it has almost fully changed to new Fiesta owners’ thread!
No offence but you seem to be a Anti Honda ! Yup the enthusiasm is not the same after seeing the interiors in flesh. I think we should wait for more time to get views about power(after OD TD of ANHC), F.E etc. Many sedan buyers had held on to their purchase before City launch. Those who have shifted to Fiesta, SX4 etc. Didnt wanna spend 1.5 lacs more , didnt wanna wait for too long or were just turned off with the interiors at that price ( Without a TD) . So i guess we must give sometime to conclude more about ANHC.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 14:52   #82
BHPian
 
Path_Finder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 623
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
No offence but you seem to be a Anti Honda ! Yup the enthusiasm is not the same after seeing the interiors in flesh. I think we should wait for more time to get views about power(after OD TD of ANHC), F.E etc. Many sedan buyers had held on to their purchase before City launch. Those who have shifted to Fiesta, SX4 etc. Didnt wanna spend 1.5 lacs more , didnt wanna wait for too long or were just turned off with the interiors at that price ( Without a TD) . So i guess we must give sometime to conclude more about ANHC.
No problems. Nothing Anti-Honda. Yup! I do agree that I have a back of mind feeling that both NHC/NAHC and Civic are a bit overrated. Leaving aside Honda fans, I guess I am not alone in this feeling. So you may feel a flavor of this in some of my posts while quoting facts, but honestly no bias.

True people did not want to spend 1.5L more – that is a lot of money. And I agree it is too early to pass any verdict about the ANHC. Let the TD and ownership reports start coming in. I am also eager for a TD to help a relative take his decision.
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 15:29   #83
BHPian
 
johnda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tvla
Posts: 401
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
But to say that the SX4 is weak as straw, while the NHC is strong as steel, is anything but the fact.
You Bet! that is sheer stupidity, infact it was some sort of frustration that led to that unnecessary comment.

Like you said, lets wait and see what the ANHC turns out to be.
cheers!
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 15:40   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
karanraheja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
No problems. Nothing Anti-Honda. Yup! I do agree that I have a back of mind feeling that both NHC/NAHC and Civic are a bit overrated. Leaving aside Honda fans, I guess I am not alone in this feeling. So you may feel a flavor of this in some of my posts while quoting facts, but honestly no bias.

True people did not want to spend 1.5L more – that is a lot of money. And I agree it is too early to pass any verdict about the ANHC. Let the TD and ownership reports start coming in. I am also eager for a TD to help a relative take his decision.
I get what you saying about Honda being overrated. I heard from my dealer that TD car should be ready in 2 weeks .
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 15:49   #85
BHPian
 
Path_Finder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 623
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I get what you saying about Honda being overrated. I heard from my dealer that TD car should be ready in 2 weeks .
To clarify and be more specific, it is not Honda being overrated – it is just the NHC/ANHC and the Civic. And not the OHC and CRV.

But today the City and Civic together make 99% of what Honda is in India!

Last edited by Path_Finder : 5th November 2008 at 15:51.
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 15:52   #86
BHPian
 
nithz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: coorg
Posts: 51
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

i came across a detail comparison chart in overdrive about sx4 and the city, there is nothing much in of a comparision i found ,both the cars are equally competent when it comes to mileage ,bhp ,top end speed etc ,but honda city is approximately a lakh more compared to sx4 but its worth the looks it carries. Gurus correct me if i am wrong with the specs.
nithz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 20:09   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,271
Thanked: 1,235 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Nothing to do with Honda or Suzuki fan. Just the facts. If someone tells me that the NHC (not ANHC) is more FE than SX4, I would agree. But to say that the SX4 is weak as straw, while the NHC is strong as steel, is anything but the fact.
You bet! There is another thread on how a NHC got dented badly in Pune by someone riding a bike.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 11:51   #88
BHPian
 
Meer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 199
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Johnda sir, I hope you know about NCAP ratings. It would be great if you back up your friends' feedback with this internationally accepted data. By the way SX4 is rated very highly on NCAP and I have never seen NCAP ratings for NHC/ANHC in any mag. It would be great if someone can share the same.
Meer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 22:56   #89
BHPian
 
suneel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 35
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hey guys check out Autocar's video comparison. This might help with some decision making.

Overdrive: Honda City vs SX-4, which is better?: IBNLive.com > Videos

They forgot to mention that the citys timings that they put up were that of the automatic one (S/AT) which hes driving. i.e 11.5 seconds to 100kmph. Autocar magazine shows the manual city (S/MT) doing 10.2 seconds to 100. They shouldve compared the manual city with the manual sx4 since thats a more proper comparison.
suneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 11:43   #90
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 15
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hay the video is not playing, mind shareing what did it say?


I think the question that anyone confused with the two cars should truthfully answer is if the SX4 came with a Honda badge and the NHC as a car came as Maruti car, which is the one they would buy?

and then go ahead and buy that car. I think if you are considering a car in this segment in this day and age, you are too mature to be swayed by a mere badge. The badge has to earn that value. Honda had it with OHC, it hasn't earned that with NHC, at least in my eyes. And i can't imagine it will come with time.

Let's take a look at the reality, NHC came to market 1 yr. later than SX4, it should be car in different league, if we are struggling to find reasons and decimals that can possibly make the car better than SX4, then take it from me, its lost it.
Chris Bangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New SX4 VXi vs. 2005 Honda City GXi ?? - SX4 NPV is higher!! complexroots Sedans 13 10th November 2008 20:58
honda city v-tec plus (june 2008 launch) or new honda city (Oct 2008 launch)? nnandi Sedans 16 28th October 2008 17:03
2008 New Honda City karanraheja The Indian Car Scene 139 18th July 2008 17:03
My new Honda City ZX CVT 2008 jacobgeorge Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 22 18th January 2008 15:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:24.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks