Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 23rd March 2012, 09:57   #241
BHPian

Default Re: New Honda City or Ford Fiesta 1.6S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineOptimist View Post
Now I beg to disagree. Storage, in my opinion, is more in the Fiesta. I've attached pictures of front and rear doors of both cars. As anyone can see, the Fiesta front door can easily take a 1 litre bottle, maybe even a 2 litre bottle. Honda city cannot. At the back door, the map holder is really spacious in Fiesta and can take two magazines! The city rear door storage is really puny!
After checking the pictures posted by RavenAvi - I'm now doubtful if what I saw and took pictures is a right variant of the city. My pictures posted below has not much space to store a big bottle, however RavenAvi's picture has a bottle actually placed! Maybe this is the difference between 2011 V-MT (test drive car) and 2012 corporate?

I am confused now.
GenuineOptimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:39   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Now I desperately want an S. If someone knows someone selling it, please please let me know.
Been there in that situation

First of all, congratulations for being a brave soul in asking for a TD for a Ford petrol car in this god forsaken diesel crazy country

I have a Fiesta 1.6 ZXi and whenever I see a 1.6S, I pause and stare at it for a moment. There's something magic about it. Even contemplated selling of the Zxi and getting the 'S'. However it didn't make financial sense.

I suggest you take a TD of the following to see if you are able to distinctly differentiate wrt the 'S':
1. Fiesta Classic 1.6 SXI (The chrome bits would be overwhelming though).
2. Pre-classic ZXi or SXi.

You can mod a used ZXi or SXi to your liking and I bet you will love it as much as an 'S'.

HOWEVER the catch is to find a really good car which is under warranty. I've owned 2 Ford cars and still not comfortable in having one out of the warranty period.

P.S: It's been 2 years and I'm still searching for a set of used 'S' alloys!

Last edited by kiku007 : 23rd March 2012 at 10:41.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:44   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Isn't the S's suspension tuned to be stiff?
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 11:55   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

I anyway plan to mod the suspension of the S as well. Over the next one year, if I get an S, I want to change the exhaust completely and the suspension as well.

I am considering a Classic 1.6 SXi but it lacks the visual appeal of the S. Of course, Visual appeal is not my main criteria but it would help! If I dont get an S, then 1.6 SXi is what I will buy.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 22:13   #245
Senior - BHPian

The 1.6 S sure is magical, especailly the Aquarius Blue (I prefer to call it the Ford Racing Blue ) The ultimate affordable driver's car tag is definitely with this car! But the concerns over fuel efficiency are keeping me away from going for this car. I know I am being stupid with this question about a true driver's car, but rising petrol prices make me ask this - any idea how much the 1.6 S would stretch a litre of petrol inside the city with AC on and a moderately heavy right foot?
aravind.anand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 22:27   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008
I anyway plan to mod the suspension of the S as well. Over the next one year, if I get an S, I want to change the exhaust completely and the suspension as well.

I am considering a Classic 1.6 SXi but it lacks the visual appeal of the S. Of course, Visual appeal is not my main criteria but it would help! If I dont get an S, then 1.6 SXi is what I will buy.
If you have already thought of making mods then I recommend City. I have driven Fiesta classic but it looks so very outdated now. If the mission is pure speed then maybe but City will hold for a longer time. The remaps can yield amazing results on both cars, city it seems will offer more flexibility. I am gonna surely keep the city for longer than expected time frame and then it will be the project car of sorts
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 18:35   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
I have driven Fiesta classic but it looks so very outdated now.
Yes, it has really been quite some time in the market. It is already a "classic" so probably Ford will stop producing it at some time so that the new Fiesta doesn't get cannibalized with its own classic. When production stops - then availability of spares will be a problem? As a new prospective buyer of classic SXi, how seriously should I worry about phase out of classic and resulting lack of spares?
GenuineOptimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 18:49   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it has really been quite some time in the market. It is already a "classic" so probably Ford will stop producing it at some time so that the new Fiesta doesn't get cannibalized with its own classic. When production stops - then availability of spares will be a problem? As a new prospective buyer of classic SXi, how seriously should I worry about phase out of classic and resulting lack of spares?
I doubt if they will phase out the Classic in the next few years. Ford has not been harsh on its customers by phasing it out when they brought in the new Fiesta, unlike Honda which typically phases out the old model when they usher in a new one. Resale takes a big time hit when models are phased out, apart from spare parts issues.

IMO the risk is more with Honda. They bring in a new model every 5 years, so we can expect one in 2013 or 2014, and going by their past practice, are likely to phase out the ANHC.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 18:49   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ford is one of the companies which keep producing spares for a car which has been phased out to support the vehicles in the field. IIRC, Ford, Hyundai, Honda have this policy of making spares for upto 5 years after the car's production stops. While Maruti I heard, would run assembly lines in full swing and generate enough spares for supporting the cars in the field before doing away with the car completely. And I haven't faced issues with spares of my uncles 1.3 Ford Ikon thus far. He replaces his headlamps and silencer last month only.
aravind.anand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 19:19   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Isn't the S's suspension tuned to be stiff?
Yes it is - the one major difference between it and the Sxi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
If you get a S; Exhaust yes, intake yes, remap yes but I would suggest sticking with stock S suspension for sometime and trying it out. Believe me, you will love it. Also, you are welcome to test out my 1.6 when you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
any idea how much the 1.6 S would stretch a litre of petrol inside the city with AC on and a moderately heavy right foot?
10kmpl in the city with a heavy foot and/or 1st or 2nd gear only kind of traffic. 11-12 if either foot or traffic relents!
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 09:16   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineOptimist

How seriously should I worry about phase out of classic and resulting lack of spares?
The experienced Ford customers have spoken, however I haven't heard of Honda customers crying over parts either. I assume the environment laws will push the Classic to go off else the company will still keep it for entry level sedan buyers. Think of it as Ford's desire.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 19:15   #252
BHPian

@Mods:
A new post since I wish to ask a for advice regarding a fresh dilemma between ANHC Corporate Edition and Ford Classic 1.4 TDCi Diesel. Please guide if its not appropriate.

Honda City Petrol vs Ford Classic Diesel
Main Requirements:
1. Running is variable, can range from less than 600 to 1000 kms (max) a month.
2. Would like to keep the car for 5-7 years atleast.
3. Reliability, lower cost of maintenance and Decent after sales service are very important.
4. I will be dependent on this car (My workplace is at a remote location with no form of public transportation available. In general public transport in Indore city is non existent . Acc. to some statitics personal vehicle ownership is above 80%). So its important that it spends least amount of time in service centres.

Both Honda City's base model (Corporate Edition) and Ford Classic's diesel base model LXi will cost me about the same i.e. about 8 lakh OTR.
Honda City Pros:
1. Higher overall quality and long term durability w.r.t Ford Classic. (Personal Opinion - Please confirm).
2. Fairly good A.S.S service (Indore Honda dealer is quite reputed).
3. Complete set of safety features. (Ford Classic LXi doesn't have ABS and Airbags)

Ford Classic Pros:
1. Diesel
2. Localised spares so cost of maintenence is lesser w.r.t Honda.

Help me please. Any other option or suggestion is also welcome.
sarthakgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 21:35   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
@Mods:
A new post since I wish to ask a for advice regarding a fresh dilemma between ANHC Corporate Edition and Ford Classic 1.4 TDCi Diesel. Please guide if its not appropriate.

Honda City Petrol vs Ford Classic Diesel
are you open to look at the used cars? that may open up an entire set of options for you.

City and Classic, both are great cars in their respective areas.
  • If running cost is important to you, go with Diesel.
  • If the roads you are going to drive upon are not so good, again Classic may be a better option due to better suspension setup.
  • City is a newer design and comes with the safety features (i would suggest you do not skip on those, and those can not be retrofitted), and IMHO Honda ages better than Ford.
  • City has a very refined engine

if i were you, and running cost was not an important criteria, i would pick the City.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 01:15   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
@Mods:

Help me please. Any other option or suggestion is also welcome.
Hi, i'd posted on your thread, but it got deleted i guess,nonetheless i'd recommend the City base for you:

a.ABS+Airbags. ABS can be a life saver.
b.Your avg running of 800 kms will not cost you a bomb on the City.
c.Since you want to keep the car for 5-7 years, Honda will be a safer bet as a newer version of the Fiesta is already on sale.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 07:29   #255
BHPian

@infotech58

After my second hand Verna fiasco (occurred before I was aware of team-bhp), I am a bit averse towards second hand cars. Will stick to new ones.

@shashank.nk
Isn't city also getting replaced with a new model in 2013-14 with an all new Earth Dreams series DI petrol engine? Since Honda engines are imported in India, can this lead to spare parts issue in the future?
sarthakgupta is offline   Reply With Quote