Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 23rd July 2012, 15:16   #256
BHPian

Default Re: New Honda City or Ford Fiesta 1.6S

Another twist.

Ford Dealer has a Paprika Red All new Fiesta AT Titanium+. On road cost 11.5 Lakh. He is offering to give it for about 8 lakhs!!!! Car has done 328 kms.
sarthakgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:55   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta
Another twist.

Ford Dealer has a Paprika Red All new Fiesta AT Titanium+. On road cost 11.5 Lakh. He is offering to give it for about 8 lakhs!!!! Car has done 328 kms.
Isn't that such a great deal?
Ford is a great driver's car so why not?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:09   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
Another twist.

Sarthak: I smell a rat here.
Why is the dealer offering 3.5 lac discount ?
Please check the vehicle age with VIN number, also be sure it was not used as a test drive vehicle (by disconnecting the speedo cable).
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:13   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another twist.

Please find out why such a massive discount is being offered on a new car.

What is with the 328kms? Was it originally planned as a td car, and got involved in an accident or something?

Too many questions. Check thoroughly before jumping on the deal.

Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Ceveat emptor.
JayD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:16   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Another twist.

be extremely careful.

it is highly likely that this vehicle was being used as a test drive vehicle OR it has some manufacturing defect due to which someone might have refused delivery and it has been sitting OR it might have met an accident and is being offered to you after repair now.
check the VIN, and find out month of production, 328 kms for an unsold car is very odd. 30% discount on a brand new vehicle (whether petrol or diesel) is unheard of.

EDIT:

think it like this:
  • Ford is not running any discounts of this propotion currently.
  • Dealer can give you discount from ONLY his margin.
  • Dealer margin is not 3 lac per car.
  • So, by offering you such a discount, dealer is bearing a loss.
  • Dealer is not your close relative.
  • So, why is he taking a hit by offering you a massive discount? there must be something fishy.

Last edited by infotech58 : 23rd July 2012 at 18:27.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 20:14   #261
BHPian

Thanks guys for your suggestions. Its indeed the test drive vehicle for them. The Ford guy has been very honest with all the details:

1. March 2012 make - Believed him since Fiesta AT was launched in India in Feb 2012.

2. Odo not disconnected - I landed at the dealership without prior intimation and asked for test drive of the car. Immediately they offered it.

Infact the dealership owner himself went along with me and SA for the TD. He drove the car to a patch of empty place and then only allowed me to lay my hands on it. Only after he was satisfied with my driving "HIS" AT car, did he allowed me to drive it back to his dealership.

The car seemed OK. Driving AT in traffic is pure nirvana. Normally we tend to avoid crowded roads but now I wanted to head straight into crowded areas (and I did; enjoyed every bit of it). However at the end of it I decided that it would be too early for me take such a huge risk and decided to stick to safer options of City vs Classic.

Updates on other TDs:

Ford Classic:
Car was 15000 kms done. No rattles. Good build. Gear shift etc. felt OK. Suspension also was feeling nice. Other stuff is same as has been repeated here various times. Went to the service center to ask for the spare parts prices. They didn't gave me. The service center was teeming with vehicles and service people running helter-skelter. Talked to some customers there about ford service. Most were satisfied.

Honda City:
Car was 3000 kms old. Good build. Refined, smooth and free revving engine. Drive was a pleasure. Went to the service centre. Only 4 - 5 cars. One car in there for oil sump damage. (Indore has few sections of very bad roads - those lie outside city limits near to my workplace. City roads are well maintained and in excellent condition. Service people quickly gave me the list of all spare parts -

Service parts:
various filters (Oil - Rs. 205, Air - Rs. 450, Fuel - Rs. 550),
brake pads (Rs 4200) etc.

Maintenance parts:
clutch plate assembly (Rs.13000),
front shocks (Rs. 4500),
front lower arm (Rs. 3500) etc.

Labour charges
Rs. 850 for normal service and 1350 for major.

(Will post the full list in the spare parts price thread).

So guys I am still at same dilemma. I wish to ask two questions:

1. Can ford classic give me solid and reliable service for atleast 5 years with no breakdowns? Being working outside town this is very important.

2. What are the general service costs of Honda City? Also can it give me reliable service for atleast next 5 years?
Old 25th July 2012, 10:10   #262
BHPian

Hey guys no respone???? Please

I request members who had answered me on my previous thread to repost their suggestions since the previous thread got deleted.

Also certain patches of roads near my workplace are in very bad shape. Which of the above two has a better (read more abuse friendly) suspension setup?

Thanks in advance
Old 25th July 2012, 12:28   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I request members who had answered me on my previous thread to repost their suggestions since the previous thread got deleted.

Also certain patches of roads near my workplace are in very bad shape. Which of the above two has a better (read more abuse friendly) suspension setup?

Thanks in advance
I can't talk about Ford. I own the new City ivtec and it's done 2 years 22,000Km. I am very happy with the *** and car is niggle free till date. We had a Honda earlier in the family (Accord 2007 - 2.5L km) it was serviced regularly and had no issues till our cousin thought of getting it serviced from outside to save a few dime. The suspension was gone and rear axel was in a messy state but the engine purred like new, it fetched him quite a resale post 5 years and so many on odo.

However, Honda's are not too open to customization as I have found out with the new generation engines. Ford might be better bet here if you want to add to the core components. Otherwise ivtec any day
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 12:41   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance
I have a Ford sxi 1.6 from March, 2007 and if you read my long-term ownership thread, you'll get to know that it has been a very contented ownership for me so far. I've covered 35000 kms so far.

Ford service has improved by leagues in Hyderabad, but do check up at your city. A general parameter is that there should be more than one dealer in order to have a competitive spirit and give the customers a choice of going to the one that is rated better.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 13:02   #265
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance

Never owned a Ford so can't comment but about to finish a year with my city. The ownership is absolutely trouble free with the free revving i-vtech doing duty on numerous drives. Having driven over smooth, rough and no-roads I can tell you nothing comes close to the city (in sedans; SUVs will be in a different league all together). I had in my family a 2003 Corolla which had done 165k km before being retired and believe me nothing beats the japs as far as petrol engine goes.

If I were you I'd pick the City. Why don't you TD Eitios as well.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 14:24   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Can ford classic give me solid and reliable service for atleast 5 years with no breakdowns? Being working outside town this is very important.

2. What are the general service costs of Honda City? Also can it give me reliable service for atleast next 5 years?
I have a Fiesta 1.6 SXI which is six & a half years old & has crossed 145k kms on date. Very reliable, no breakdowns. To answer your other question, I would say the Ford has a better suspension setup.

If, however, you go purely by mileage (as in kmpl), I would say that you'd be better off in the Honda
suman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 21:11   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Never owned a Ford so can't comment but about to finish a year with my city. The ownership is absolutely trouble free with the free revving i-vtech doing duty on numerous drives. Having driven over smooth, rough and no-roads I can tell you nothing comes close to the city (in sedans; SUVs will be in a different league all together). I had in my family a 2003 Corolla which had done 165k km before being retired and believe me nothing beats the japs as far as petrol engine goes.

If I were you I'd pick the City. Why don't you TD Eitios as well.
Etios diesel is utilizing the Corolla's powertrain. If anything goes wrong (like fuel injectors in case of bad fuel etc.) the spares are quite expensive. (The clutch plate alone costs Rs. 9000 - complete clutch assembly overhaul will put you back by around Rs. 25000). One of my uncle owns Altis Diesel. I have visited the service centre with him and talked about the prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I have a Fiesta 1.6 SXI which is six & a half years old & has crossed 145k kms on date. Very reliable, no breakdowns. To answer your other question, I would say the Ford has a better suspension setup.

If, however, you go purely by mileage (as in kmpl), I would say that you'd be better off in the Honda
The issue is that I am considering Honda City petrol w.r.t. Classic TDCi diesel. That is the dilemma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
I can't talk about Ford. I own the new City ivtec and it's done 2 years 22,000Km. I am very happy with the *** and car is niggle free till date. We had a Honda earlier in the family (Accord 2007 - 2.5L km) it was serviced regularly and had no issues till our cousin thought of getting it serviced from outside to save a few dime. The suspension was gone and rear axel was in a messy state but the engine purred like new, it fetched him quite a resale post 5 years and so many on odo.

However, Honda's are not too open to customization as I have found out with the new generation engines. Ford might be better bet here if you want to add to the core components. Otherwise ivtec any day
I will keep the car stock. No mods for me.
Old 26th July 2012, 22:04   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The issue is that I am considering Honda City petrol w.r.t. Classic TDCi diesel. That is the dilemma.

I will keep the car stock. No mods for me.
Simple solution Honda city. If you drive less than 2000 km a month Or Diesel if you drive more. I recommend Vento TDI.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 23:50   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indore has few sections of very bad roads - those lie outside city limits near to my workplace. City roads are well maintained and in excellent condition.
That itself should clinch it in favour of the City . Ford has a "better" suspension setup and the TBHP trend is that better = stiffer which leads to better handling in corners . If you have broken roads a stiffer suspension will be far worse to sit inside as compared to one with a softer setup as the entire vibration would get transmitted right up your spine . The City may scrape the bottom a few times ( not to worry since it has under carriage protection ) but it would be far more comfortable to ride

Quote:
2. What are the general service costs of Honda City? Also can it give me reliable service for atleast next 5 years?[/quote]

As someone mentioned it depends on the service station at your place . Usually Honda service quality standards would be far higher than Ford and most Honda cars would be far more more reliable than Fords . One of my friends who owned a fiesta classic got so fed-up with niggling recurring problems which kept the car at the service centre for many weeks that he did a distress sale of the car and bought the overpriced Toyota diesel - he did it because he wanted to buy only a Jap car for reliability and service and wanted a diesel . Toyota and Honda sets the benchmark for reliability and service- there can't be any doubts about it. If there is a model which is more likely to be phased out , it has to be the Fiesta classic rather than the City

All the best
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 10:06   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
The City may scrape the bottom a few times ( not to worry since it has under carriage protection ) but it would be far more comfortable to ride
Are you sure about the under carriage protection thing? Am asking because when I checked out the engine bay of the car there was no coverage beneath it (Full road was visible). AFAIK only Verito, Etios/Liva provide undercarriage protection. Please correct me if I am wrong.