Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 2nd November 2008, 19:12   #1
Default 98 Honda City 1.5sport, need advice

I just checked out a 1998 Honda City 1.5 sport for sale in Bombay (andheri). Its done about 68000kms and asking for about Rs.1.65L

I drove the car yesterday and while everything was in a good shape, the steering pulled a bit to the left. One has to actually hold the wheel tilted a bit towards the right to compensate. Could this just be an alignment problem or more?

Another problem I saw was under the car. The bottom of the engine was covered in oil. One was near the timing cover and one near the clutch. Could this be a worn out oil seal?

The rest of the vehicle seems taut. No squeaks or rattles. The suspension felt good. AC cools decent too.

As far as cars go I am a novice and even the amount quoted above is a lot of money for me. So I want to be sure before committing to this vehicle.

I know its almost impossible to too me what might be wrong here without checking out the car but what possible problems should I check for?
Could someone help me out?

(read about the engine malfunction light in another thread. Checked it. Its fine)
behzad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 02:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

In your conditions, just ask the seller if he is ok to get the car checked at Honda. If yes, get it checked at Honda and ask them for an estimate to do any repairs required. A service costing 10k for a 10 year old car is acceptable. Any thing above it should be bargained in the cost of the car.
Instead of going for a 98, why don't you go for a 99, when the City was launched with the revised look.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 05:06   #3
Team-BHP Support

I would question how authentic the mileage after seeing you desctiption.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:29   #4
Team-BHP Support

Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I would question how authentic the mileage after seeing you desctiption.
To follow up on MPower's point -- do they have any kind of documented service history ?

Also take a good look through this thread :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India)

Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 23:56   #5

hai behzad.Regarding The pulling of the steerting to the left
these are a few things in a honda city that might cause this problem :

1.Allignment problem-toe and caster(could be rectified by wheel allignment)
2.Allignment problem-camber(cannot be rectified by wheel allignment.the Bushes might require a change.or worst case the lower arm)
3.bend in the alloy or rim
4.Improper mounting of tires.check if all the tires are mounted symmetrically.

I think checking these up might solve the problem.
Baleno_boy is offline   Reply With Quote