Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 6th November 2008, 16:15   #1
BHPian

Default Toyota Corolla Query

Need some advice from the experts in Team BHP.

I am looking out for a used Toyota Corolla , and would appreciate your expert answers to the following.

1. For a Corolla upto how many miles clocked would indicate that the engine has completed 50% of its life ?

2. What would be a decent price for the following.
( I understand the prices would vary depending on the variant, assume H1 variant i.e. 1 above the base model)

2a. 2006 Model - Clocked around 45k Km
2b. 2006 Model - Clocked around 15k Km
2c. 2007 Model - Clocked around 30k Km

3. I suppose this is a bad option which I came across.
Good part - Car is 2007 registered, clocked 16k Km, asking 6.xL
Bad part - Its the showrooms Test drive vehicle which they are disposing off.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 18:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Of all the ones mentioned, the one that you mentioned as the 'Bad Part' is actually the good one IMHO!

Since the showroom has mentioned that it is a test vehicle, you atleast know what kind of treatement it would have got. For the rest, it is only a guess that it might have been handled well.

Know devil is always better.

But, what are the showroom offering as freebie's? Have they done a complete check (which they would have!) and giving you any extended warranty?

If you are able to squeeze some extra warranty and goodies, I would say go for the test mule.

And yes, do take some one else to have a look at it, maybe a known mechanic or knowledgable friend or so.

PS: PM the MOD's to correct the title- "Toyota"
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 18:43   #3
BHPian

i think the test drive car would be a good buy in case you get some extended warranty.due to the following reasons

1.it is 2007 model and has 16k only.
2.i dont think these cars have been 100% driven as test drive vehicle.at such a short interval i will assume that 50-60%of the running was as a test drive car.the remaining is genrally used as a staff car for the showroom(which i have seen in delhi atleast).so this part is driven by well experienced driver of showroom,who would be handling brand new cars

its upto you,the exteriors should give you a complete idea.
mods please correct the spelling and shift it to correct section
ankit.jhamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 18:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
1. For a Corolla upto how many miles clocked would indicate that the engine has completed 50% of its life ?
That would be a 100 or 200 thousand kilometers. All the cars you've mentioned are well within highly acceptable mileages for a Corolla - obviously subject to the extent they have been maintained well. These engines can take a whole lot of abuse and then some.

Take the TD vehicle (not many people would TD a Toyota anyway - its not like picking up a TD Indica or a TD Maruti) IF the dealer will provide it with full warranty. Since its a Toyota dealership , the vehicle would ahve been well looked after.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 00:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

I go by what others are saying

Its better to ask for warranty on the car. Atleast 2-3 more years. which i think they would considering a less thatln 2 year old car and that toyota does provide extended warranty.

Being toyota , i think it would be in good hands.
Also mostly the guys take the cars to the customers to their homes so major chunk of the 15k kms would have been run by the showroom guys themselves.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 12:12   #6
BHPian

People would have ripped driven the TD vehicles very hard, but at same time 16K is not at all huge figure. And as mentioned by others, the vehicle would normally would have been taken good care by the dealer. Ask for extended warranties and other freebies. Get some of the consumables like filters, break pads, Oil etc. replaced so that you do not hit a consumable cost soon.

I do not know if it will be possible to get the vehicle independently assessed if so it will be good. Also you need to make sure that it is really ONLY 16K run and that odo is not reset. Normally the dealers keep a log book of TD runs, ask for that and you might be able to do a high level verification of the actual usage.
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 12:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

I totally agree with others on the test drive car. Its not very old, reasonable kms and also offered at a good price. Ask for free services and every thing else as a new car would get.

Which model of corolla it is H2 or H5?
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 13:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Need some advice from the experts in Team BHP.

I am looking out for a used Toyota Corolla , and would appreciate your expert answers to the following.

Good part - Car is 2007 registered, clocked 16k Km, asking 6.xL
Bad part - Its the showrooms Test drive vehicle which they are disposing off.

is it a 2006 manufactured and 2007 registered car?or is it a 2007 model(manufactured and registered)
ankit.jhamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 16:57   #9
BHPian

It might be worth asking the dealership for any unsold stocks, you could land a gr8 deal on a brand new but old stock lying in the dealer stockyard.
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 17:10   #10
BHPian

@Fillmore

If you are indicating towards the H1 test drive vehicle with Ravindu Toyota..then I think the mileage figures of 16000 Kms is correct. I remember while buying my car in May 2008. I took test drive of this car and at that time the mileage ws around 14000..thus the meter is not tampered if you are referring to the same car.
onesomeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 17:49   #11
BHPian

People who TD Corollas are not doing it to see how fast it will go, they don't care about shifting at 5K rpm, exhaust note ringing in the back of their head. They want to know how comfortable the car rides over our bad roads, how well the AC works to cool the cabin, and such.

Therefore, don't fret that it's a TD car, but push a bit harder for discounts, try to get a few free services. Please also know that the car even if second hand is going to cost the same to maintain as any other car of that class, estimate around 6-10K for a regular service, depending on what consumables need replacing...

The corolla is a good car and can run for a long long time, just remember, she's a fragile creature so treat her with care.

cheers:
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 20:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
is it a 2006 manufactured and 2007 registered car?or is it a 2007 model(manufactured and registered)
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your responses, Have still not finalized on any car yet.
Answers to some of your questions..

Yes its the same Ravindu Toyota car that you are referring to.

Its a 2006 manufactured vehicle registered in 2007.

However the car looked pretty worn out, Tyres looked like they did more than 16k km. Also when I opened the hood. There is a kind of black foam like insulation/padding stuck under it (not sure what its actually called).
This one was in tatters with large holes all over it, and was literally falling out on one side.

The seats are all quite dirty and faded, some scratches around the bumpers (which they said they would touch up and give).
Plus also heard that these car's run for like upto 6 months on a Temporary Registration prior to actual registration.

So yet to take a final call on this vehicle.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 21:28   #13
BHPian

I know how a corolla test drive car is Treated in the Dealership, go for this car nothing to worry about cause they just replace what ever part which gives any hint of problems, it would be the best buy. Our Test H5 Test drive car was sold off in 2007 June with 30,000km mileage and one year age for a hefty sum of 8 lakhs.
muneemmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 02:05   #14
BHPian

Thumbs up 1lakh Km is probably midlife of corolla

Hi there,
I have a 2004 corolla and it has clocked 65,000 Km and its running very fine even today.I intend to keep this car as a secondary car till it does about 2lakh Km so don't worry about the above cars listed.They are all well within limits unless they have not been regularly serviced or have had accidental problems.
As far as test drive is concerned, some would have driven it normally while some would have ripped it to see how it compares to a civic etc.When i took a test drive I didn't abuse the car as generally people who buy this car aren't the types that would go abusing the car.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
morphin1 is offline   Reply With Quote