Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 12th December 2008, 10:57   #61
BHPian

one more question

how are stock tires on the SDX? do they need to be replaced?
Also are the alloys on the sport available for the SDX as option or accessory?
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 11:09   #62
BHPian

Smile Congrats Buddy

Streetlife, Many many congrats for owning the beauty!

Seems you got delivery in less than week's time. How did you manage that?

Pics please!!
Autocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 11:21   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
one more question

how are stock tires on the SDX? do they need to be replaced?
Also are the alloys on the sport available for the SDX as option or accessory?
The stock tires ( GOODYEAR ) are doing a goog job, i really dont feel a need of any upgradation. Also upgradation in tyre size would void the warranty.

The original FIAT alloys with red FIAT logo in center are available as an accessory and would cost you a whooping 27000Rs
Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 15:24   #64
Senior - BHPian

I strongly believe that the 165/80 R13 needs to be upgraded. The high speed behaviour would improve considerably. The stock tyres are also decent and I have done a top whack of 140 kph on Greater Noida expressway. 0-80 kph is okay!

The Fiat Alloys are for Rs 7000/- a piece. They look good, but they are obscenely expensive. And they come only with the Blue Fiat logo, not the red one. Can't have a different logo on the car and a different one on the wheels.

The best bet is the 98 PCD design available from Aura (check out FinneyP's thread in the alloys / tyres sections). They look quite nice. Another option is to try and source the 14 inch rims (the old Palios had them) and go for a tyre upsize. I doubt if the Fiat Service Centre will notice unless pointed out, so no warranty issues.

Last edited by architect : 12th December 2008 at 15:27.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 16:30   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Gyaan no 1: Palio 1.6 Sports or Palio MJD SDX: If you can afford a running cost of Rs 5.5/km (or higher in the future), go for the 1.6. It will save you Rs 40,000/- or so over the SDX and will give you the alloys and the immobiliser extra. Simple.

Gyaan no 2: SDE or SDX: Assuming that the SD is out of equation, as it's too basic. SDX makes much more sense, it gives you the extra power windows at the rear, rear wiper-demister, body coloured mirrors and handles. It also gives you the silver finish on the console, instead of the ugly grey on the SDE. Trust me, the SDX is the one to go for, this is coming from an SDE owner himself.

Gyaan no 3: which colour: Got a covered parking space or a garage? Got a cleaner who knows how to clean a car properly, instead of the ones who leave streaks all over? Have a reserved parking in office? Can you ensure no scratches on the car in Delhi? Got well-behaved neighbours who don't do graffitti on the body paint with keys? Have time to clean and polish your car every week?

If the answers to the above questions is YES, then buy red, black,white, whatever.

If the answer is NO, Magnesium Grey is the best option. It's easy to clean and keep clean. It remains the same shade under layers of dust at construction sites (unlike red or black). It is a suave neat colour and is not the ubiquitous metallic silver that is everywhere.

It also hides the 12 feet long scratch along the entire side of the car with the signature of the artist on the paintwork (my own car) better than the other shades.
Thanks Guruji

Regarding Gyaan no 1, the Immobiliser feature doesn't come with 1.6 model. It is only available with Palio 1.1 Stile!

Gyaan no 2 and 3 :

I personally clean my car twice in a week since I use my Bike for my office commute and on weekends if goin out with family then Palio. So in those times, my car is covered with car cover and luckily it is in shade all the time. No issues with adventurous neighbours thou their kids are exceptional! They just love to pull back the side mirrors every now n then.

But unfortunately, once i had parked in a single lane and a garbage truck seems scratched the car from the start to the end! I've a Formula Red

However be it a Grey, Red or any color, once it is scratched it does pains whenever you see it! You never want a scratch on your car especially when you are not involved!

My personal view, the Grey would look dull in longer period if not polished consistently. Red, Blue, white and black looks attractive!

Cheers~
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 20:37   #66
BHPian

thanks for the gyan guruji's,
I test drove both the cars 1.6 and SDX today.Here is what i felt
1)1.6
-Awesome power, in any gear
-Pleasure to drive even in traffic no problem at all
-Butter smooth gear shifts
-very comfortable clutch

2)SDX
-Heavy clutch
-Rough gear shift
-Was having trouble driving in traffic, did'nt know which gear to be in.

This was the first time i was driving a fiat diesel in heavy traffic, before this i have driven swift LDi for long drives on the high way , but never felt any problems with gears or clutch.

It is a possibility that the demo car was not properly maintained .

Please advice was it a problem with my driving style or the car was at fault or is it normal for diesel cars to behave this way.

Rudrah , architect ,bubby phamilyman please tell me your opinion as to both the cars(1.6 and diesel) being in the same condition , how is the driving experience in traffic as well as highway.I mean the difference in the driving style/feel between the two cars.

Last edited by ms001 : 12th December 2008 at 20:39.
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 23:19   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

damn crashing ffx.
a. Its okay. Its a palio. Its sturdy (search for other cars' clutches failing - not MJD!) but the fools could've made it like the vista setup. dont ask why!
b. Yes, Fiat's deliberately given the 1.9D slushbox - wonder why they gave better one to Vista - BUT once you have a hang, its smooth.
c. Drive like a diesel - Turbo! You'll get used to it!

I wouldn't wanna comment long term as I'd leave that to the owners! But if you wanna compare with swift, i'll be HTH
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 00:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1)1.6
-Awesome power, in any gear
-Pleasure to drive even in traffic no problem at all
-Butter smooth gear shifts
-very comfortable clutch
It has been said time and again, If you can afford the running cost, the 1.6 is the Palio to own. Ask Rudrah!

But remember, you will always drive more than you imagine before buying the car.

Quote:
2)SDX
-Heavy clutch
-Rough gear shift
-Was having trouble driving in traffic, did'nt know which gear to be in.
Heavy clutch: Yes. It takes some time getting used to it. Love the clutch on phamilman's VDi.
Rough Gear Shift: Not really. Your hands will identify the "route" and then you will be slotting the gear with one finger, effortlessly. I mastered it within two-three weeks.
However, it is not a snappy, short-throw gearbox like the "Rally-derived" Swift.
Driving in Traffic: Except for the initial torque surge that can be painful in bumper to bumper traffic (esp when you release the clutch), driving in traffic is actually easier! You can potter around in 3rd gear all day, with the occasional 2nd gear. I hate driving the Alto after driving the MJD because I need to step on the accelarator and clutch in situations where I managae without both on the MJD.

Quote:
This was the first time i was driving a fiat diesel in heavy traffic, before this i have driven swift LDi for long drives on the high way , but never felt any problems with gears or clutch.
Look, except for the heavier clutch, this car is not more difficult to drive than the Swift Diesel. It has its own advantages of a nice laid back driving position and better visibility.

It takes time for the MJD to grow on you. After 13,000 kms, I can say that the fun has just started!

Quote:
how is the driving experience in traffic as well as highway.I mean the difference in the driving style/feel between the two cars.
Both are essentially different vehicles but I think they are both equally good highway cars. It's only a matter of mastering the driving technique for each of them.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 17:02   #69
BHPian

Hi.

I've taken the pictures but i am having problems uploading.
streetlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 17:30   #70
BHPian

Guys,
you can visit my garage. I've uploaded my car pictures there.
streetlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 17:40   #71
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy!

Palio MJD in Mag Grey looks great! Enjoy the ride!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote