Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 30th November 2008, 16:59   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
Is it strange that one Hyundai dealership offers a dealer-backed extended warranty, and the other a manufacturer-backed one?

BTW, the gear shifts on the Accent were butter smooth, and the price difference between the two vehicles stands at 40-41K (I included the extended warranty cost earlier, which is how I arrived at 47K)

Even after the TDs, I am having the hardest time deciding
I would choose the Accent if I were you. I'd presume the A.S.S of Hyundai would be much more affordable/easier to access/without surprises than the Ford.
spetnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 18:19   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Greetings everyone,

I am looking to get an entry level sedan, and the only two vehicles that come to mind are the Accent and the Ikon. So, I took a TD on both. Now, I am not the best when it comes to writing detailed reviews on my TD experiences; however, here are a few things that I gathered.
The Accent scored higher than the Ikon in the following areas:
- Felt much more comfortable to drive
- Better interiors (I really like the wooden finish panels - gives it a rich, classy look) including the leather-wrapped steering and gear knob
- Super effective A/C (even at setting 1)
- Better resale (But quite honestly, this shouldn't be a deciding factor for me, because I intend keeping the vehicle for a while)
- Cost and availability of spares
- More nationwide service networks, and
- Needless to mention, the brand name itself.

While Ford offers a 2 year/100,000 km initial warranty, Hyundai offers a 2 year/unlimited km initial warranty. The extended warranty by Ford is for 1 year (the 3rd year) and is a manufacturer-backed warranty. It cost 4,650/-
The extended warranty by Hyundai is also for 1 year, and is a dealer-backed warranty. It cost 5,769/-

There is a 47K OTR price difference between the two vehicles, which is quite substantial - something that I could use towards dressing her up with tires+alloys, tints, ICE, etc. I will be be doing these anyway. It is the pricing though, that's putting me in a dilemma.

I'd appreciate some solid, concrete advice and reasons why I should opt for one over the other.

Fire away!
I would have personally preferred the Ikon for its better handling abilities. But your priorities seem to be different. The Ikon steering is one of the best amongst all sedans but you felt the Accent better!!
Yes Ikon will be a bit more expensive to maintain compared to Accent. The Accent has more of the sober image compared to the Ikon which is sportier. Your preferences seem to be for the former. I have driven both extensively and both are good cars. So go ahead based on your preference.
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 18:26   #18
Team-BHP Support

I am an Accent user though a diesel one since last 2 years and i still feel the car is as good as new in every aspect.

I can also vouch for its reliability, A.S.S, built quality and after the recent changes made to the Accent Petrol interiors. It looks out of this world

Just note that Accent Petrol would not give >10-11kmpl in city driving conditions.

If your ok with that, my recommendations go for the Accent.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 18:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Just note that Accent Petrol would not give >10-11kmpl in city driving conditions..
You will not get more in the Ikon also - so FE is not a criterion.
Old 30th November 2008, 18:51   #20
BANNED

My preferences are:
1. the aesthetic appeal of the vehicle, both - interiors and exteriors, which would also translate into choosing the right color! I want it looking classy and sporty.
2. Ride comfort, considering long drives and not city driving.
3. Reliability, and availability/cost of spares.

I'd have gone with the Accent if they were priced the same, but 40K seems to be quite a lot of moolah.

Last edited by luvjascha : 30th November 2008 at 18:56.
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 18:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
My preferences are:
1. the aesthetic appeal of the vehicle, both - interiors and exteriors, which would also translate into choosing the right color! I want it looking classy and sporty.
2. Ride comfort, considering long drives and not city driving.
3. Reliability, and availability/cost of spares.

I'd have gone with the Accent if they were priced the same, but 40K seems to be quite a lot of moolah.
Let me repeat - for your preferences it is Accent. Check out for year end discounts and bargain. You might be able to narrow the gap of 40K.
Old 30th November 2008, 20:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

How much are you going to run the vehicle on monthly basis ?
If its more than a 1000 kms then go for diesel IKON.

But from these two cars if FE is not an issue, go for Accent. Accent's main positive point is better A.S & S. and better availability of parts. Moreover, from your TD report it looks like you find the Accent more comfortable and easier to drive. However, Ikon has better ride quality and is probably the best combination between handling and ride quality at that price point. Also the rear seat is more spacious.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 21:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

@luvjascha - Go for accent. i had td 3 cars today. Vista, ikon tdci, ANHC. no wonder best is ANHC but Ikon is a big disappointment. No offence but Vista is far far better than it.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 21:31   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
How much are you going to run the vehicle on monthly basis ?
If its more than a 1000 kms then go for diesel IKON
It has got to be petrol. My running is nowhere close to 1K km.

Quote:
Ikon has better ride quality and is probably the best combination between handling and ride quality at that price point. Also the rear seat is more spacious.
First off, I don't care for rear bench space and comfort. Secondly, I'd have to disagree with you on the ride quality point of the Ikon being better than the Accent. I took a TD of both the vehicles the same day, and the Accent wins with regard to ride quality. Perhaps, the Ikon has better suspensions, and hence, better handling; however, to say that it is the best combination of handling and ride quality is not appropriate.
Old 30th November 2008, 21:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

one post said that he is on a lookout for an entry level sedan and the other-rear seat space and comfort is not important.

will the car be self driven? if yes, how frequently will your family members will accompany you?

how much boot space you will need as to consider yourself buying a sedan?

what is your percentage of city-highway driving?

if the aforementioned questions are answered, then maybe instead of considering a sedan, you can consider a premium modern hatch like a swift ZXI or wait for an I 20, than going for decade old cars like than an ikon and accent.

if you are still stuck for buying a car between an ikon and accent, then the accent 1.5, which is 25k more expensive than the ikon 1.3, is clearly a better choice as it is a trustworthy and reliable companion with good fit and finish, the feel factor which the ikon still does not have (look at the ikon's interior-vinyl door pads, poor plastics, no internal boot release, no rear defogger, no side beading, no hydraulic engine mounts etc) all of which will keep you satisfied in the long run.

Or, if you can digest the dzire's looks, than a dzire vxi (powered by an evolution of esteem's engine) is also a good VFM package.

OT: is the car in your avatar a chevrolet tahoe or a gmc yukon? how do those SUV's drive? are they stable in high speeds?

Last edited by sidindica : 30th November 2008 at 21:58.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 22:02   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
sidindica : ... maybe instead of considering a sedan, you can consider a premium modern hatch like a swift ZXI or wait for an I 20, than going for decade old cars like than an ikon and accent.
@Sid, good point.

It looks like the car will be self driven, and not much running. With the kind of boot-spaces in these mid/premium hatches, the i20 may make much more sense than the Accent. Absolutely new model with all related advantages & features. And a sufficiently large boot space to boot. Wont have to be thinking of re-sale value at all, too.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 22:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First off, I don't care for rear bench space and comfort. Secondly, I'd have to disagree with you on the ride quality point of the Ikon being better than the Accent. I took a TD of both the vehicles the same day, and the Accent wins with regard to ride quality. Perhaps, the Ikon has better suspensions, and hence, better handling; however, to say that it is the best combination of handling and ride quality is not appropriate.
Well, I think its upto personal preference, but for me it was Ikon with better ride quality. Yes its a bit stiff setup so better handling, but I found that Accent is just better for city roads. The suspension is on the softer side so a good city ride quality is there. Ikon is a better compromise here.

Anyways, as you found Accent to be better and if it matches all your requirements and preferneces, then go ahead for it.

Are you planning CNG or LPG for your car ?
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 22:22   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It looks like the car will be self driven, and not much running. With the kind of boot-spaces in these mid/premium hatches, the i20 may make much more sense than the Accent. Absolutely new model with all related advantages & features. And a sufficiently large boot space to boot. Wont have to be thinking of re-sale value at all, too.
True. The vehicle will be driven solely by me, and monthly running will be less than 1K km.
I am looking for a sedan; which rules out the i20.

Last edited by luvjascha : 30th November 2008 at 22:39.
Old 30th November 2008, 22:29   #29
BANNED

Quote:
I found that Accent is just better for city roads. The suspension is on the softer side so a good city ride quality is there. Ikon is a better compromise here
Are you suggesting that the Ikon makes for a better highway vehicle than the Accent, because of its rugged suspensions? What about ride quality and comfort on long drives?

Quote:
Are you planning CNG or LPG for your car ?
Neither.
Old 1st December 2008, 11:12   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ luvjascha : A request : Please restrict all your Ikon queries to ONE THREAD only. I have just merged three threads, all of which were related to the same purchase.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote