Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2008, 01:22   #1
BANNED
 
anku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 256
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Budget 15 Lakhs. What Car..?? By Next week.

I have been pretty loyal to the Mitsubishi Brand since a long time now. The Lancer is what i have been driving so far.
I had thought of sticking to the same Manufacturer but they are hugely disappointing with the range of cars in india as of now. And no where near the current competition.

My Lancer is up for sale now. And this empty space in the Garage needs to be filled fast. Lancer was in the 10lakh price range and my only thought was of upgrading to a segment 1 Notch up with a few comfort features. So with a Budget of STRICTlY not more than 15 lakhs i am open to the New and Used Segment of Sedans.

Heres my list of features needed. Ofcourse this list might go completely out of the window with some options but nevertheless here it is.

1) Fuel Effeciency

Although Driving isnt going to be much in town. A lot of suprise Out of town trips keep propping up. Hence a Diesel burner would be preferable. Petrol being the second option.

2) Comfort:

Has to be more Driver centric since me and dad would be using the car max while not leaving the Passengers that far behind. Long road trips taken into picture.

3) Ride Quality :

Should be decent. Good to take on bad roads with ease.

4) Resale Value :

Has to be good. Should not hit Rock bottom in a couple of years.

5) Mods

SHould be adaptable to Light mods such as Re-mapping, Filter and FFE.

6) Looks

Should have that snob value.


My Options so far.

1) Brand New Base model Laura at 14.30 approx. ON road.

2) Brand New Top of the Line Octy. But this make no sense since the next segment( Laura) is knocking on these doors.

3) Brand New Civic. But not too keen on this since its Petrol. Low ride height. Build Quality.

4) Pre- Owned Skoda Octavia Ryder.

Loooks like a good option. Priced at 9 odd Lakhs. Done 20000 odd.

5) Pre- Owned Skoda RS

6) Pre- Owned Civc 2007 dec. Done 9000 kms at 10.25L

7) New Corolla Atlis. But hate this car.

8) VW Jetta. Nice ride. Looks good. Feels comfy. But RESALE VALUE..???

9) Accord 07/08 Used.

Any Suggestions..??? Since i need to make up my mind very very Soon.
anku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 01:27   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
iceman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: melbourne/bangalore
Posts: 1,958
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

I like the Laura and given what you say its a good choice.
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 01:34   #3
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

I just advised someone about a 15 lak car today. And my choice was the VW Jetta as the first choice and the Skoda Laura as the second choice. Remember, a Jetta will give you a bit of Snob Value!!
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 02:05   #4
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default

used accord is what id take. only if you can find a really, really good condition car.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 03:03   #5
abk
BHPian
 
abk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NOIDA / Gurgaon
Posts: 276
Thanked: 8 Times
Question SUVs?

Anku, some questions back at you:

1. Is Magnum not in your radar?

2. Are the choices limited to the range of Sedans only? Any likelihood of straying over into the new/pre-owned diesel SUVs (or GV, CRV in petrol)?

3. Though your budget pegs you at the next higher segment in new cars category, will the diesel Linea hold your interests? Albeit, much of the talks about Indian Linea is still speculative. Nevertheless, engine specs and variants are almost on paper by now

By the way am not sure if Sonata V6 is blissfully lying in a state of abyss
abk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 07:49   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
ImmortalZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Hmm, what do you mean by that "Build Quality" next to the Civic? Its built well. Doesn't have the pure sheet metal bulk of a Skoda, but it ain't no Swift.

If you are not in Bangalore, I wouldn't worry about the low GC. As long as you are careful, you won't scrape her belly. Also, there are two runners built under the chassis that will take all the scraping leaving the skirting and the mechanics quite intact.

Ride quality is mediocre. But to be honest, I enjoy driving the car way too much to even feel that. It is driver centric. With a manual, you can get FE upto 14KMPL when driven properly. Someone got 16.6 or so recently, although he doubts his findings.

Besides, there is absolutely nothing better looking anywhere close to it's price range.
ImmortalZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 09:02   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,969
Thanked: 4,931 Times
Default

I would go for a used accord anyday.

You could get a used previous gen 20k kms done C class merc as well if you want snob value.

My friend sold his 8k done kompressor for only 16L in immaculate condition to autohanger in exchange for the new 'C'
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 10:56   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
jesal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,322
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

i thought you went and booked the base laura but am not sure, so here is my choice :

honda civic V auto

VW jetta top end

skoda laura L & K

base laura
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 11:47   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,675
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default

If you are spending Rs. 15 lakh, I would like to suggest that you go for a Brand New Car. Given your specifications, I think that Laura and Jetta from VW stable are the only good options, as they are diesel, have good ride and build quality. Jetta will give you the value i.e. snob value you are looking for.

But the problem is of A.S & S. along with the cost of spares. Avoid going to Skoda brand. If you are sure about sticking to diesel, then wait for Linea. Linea's ride quality is also very good. But you will have to compromise on resale. It will come with diesel motor same as swift but with VGT. Or else go for Verna.

If you are not sticking to diesel, then in petrol segment, Civic, Corolla are good options. Out of the two, Corolla Altis is a sensible and practical buy. It meets almost all your requirements.

From my side, I would suggest Corolla Altis. Its a safe buy also.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 12th December 2008 at 11:51. Reason: Typing mistake.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 12:04   #10
BHPian
 
xtremeshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 345
Thanked: 76 Times
Default

Laura or Jetta with custom code remapping to 150 hp .

I chose the Laura over the Jetta only because it had more features than the jetta (but this should not matter in the base variant).

Last edited by xtremeshock : 12th December 2008 at 12:14.
xtremeshock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 12:18   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,094 Times
Default

I'd say the Jetta and 2nd choice Altis

I test drove both, the Jetta is more fun to drive than even the new Accord. If you can stretch you're budget a bit more get the Jetta DSG. It is loaded to the brim, 8 airbags, 10 speakers,etc etc...only downside is that the engine is a bit noisy but so is the Laura. I might find it noiser than the rest as I am comparing the noise levels with mercedes and bmw. Currently the Jetta comes with 3 years maintenance inclusive package, so you won't spend a dime on it for 3 years besides fuel and accidental damages if any. Dont worry about the resale, if the laura can hold its value,i'm certain the VW badge on the Jetta will add to it.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 15:52   #12
BANNED
 
anku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 256
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I just advised someone about a 15 lak car today. And my choice was the VW Jetta as the first choice and the Skoda Laura as the second choice. Remember, a Jetta will give you a bit of Snob Value!!
Jetta is Out Becuase of RESALE Value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
used accord is what id take. only if you can find a really, really good condition car.
That was my next option afer the Base Laura. But Hard to find a clean Accord under 10lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
Anku, some questions back at you:

1. Is Magnum not in your radar?

2. Are the choices limited to the range of Sedans only? Any likelihood of straying over into the new/pre-owned diesel SUVs (or GV, CRV in petrol)?

3. Though your budget pegs you at the next higher segment in new cars category, will the diesel Linea hold your interests? Albeit, much of the talks about Indian Linea is still speculative. Nevertheless, engine specs and variants are almost on paper by now

By the way am not sure if Sonata V6 is blissfully lying in a state of abyss
Magnum does have a good engine but for that Price its not VFM. Looks Uggghh. Feels like a segment Below. Yes Choices are to sedans ONLY!!

I would stay away from FIAT india as of now. Their undecisive behaviour put customers on shaky grounds.

Sonata NO WAY! Havent you heard that phrase in 2F2F " Its a Hyundai"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
If you are spending Rs. 15 lakh, I would like to suggest that you go for a Brand New Car. Given your specifications, I think that Laura and Jetta from VW stable are the only good options, as they are diesel, have good ride and build quality. Jetta will give you the value i.e. snob value you are looking for.

But the problem is of A.S & S. along with the cost of spares. Avoid going to Skoda brand. If you are sure about sticking to diesel, then wait for Linea. Linea's ride quality is also very good. But you will have to compromise on resale. It will come with diesel motor same as swift but with VGT. Or else go for Verna.

If you are not sticking to diesel, then in petrol segment, Civic, Corolla are good options. Out of the two, Corolla Altis is a sensible and practical buy. It meets almost all your requirements.

From my side, I would suggest Corolla Altis. Its a safe buy also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I'd say the Jetta and 2nd choice Altis

I test drove both, the Jetta is more fun to drive than even the new Accord. If you can stretch you're budget a bit more get the Jetta DSG. It is loaded to the brim, 8 airbags, 10 speakers,etc etc...only downside is that the engine is a bit noisy but so is the Laura. I might find it noiser than the rest as I am comparing the noise levels with mercedes and bmw. Currently the Jetta comes with 3 years maintenance inclusive package, so you won't spend a dime on it for 3 years besides fuel and accidental damages if any. Dont worry about the resale, if the laura can hold its value,i'm certain the VW badge on the Jetta will add to it.
I hate the way the new Corolla Atlis look. And Looks are Important too. Jetta is Fun but Brand presence in India aint that good. Hence Resale would be bad. Not sure on the Maintainence front. Spare cost etc.

Laura seems to be the best option as of now. So might close in on the SKODA Brand. Skoda is also giving a 3 years maintenance inclusive package.

So the List becomes Smaller then.

OUT:
1) Magnum
2) Sonata
3) VW Jetta
4) Corolla Altis
5) Civic Brand New

IN:

These are the options i can chooose from.

1) Base model Laura with free Insurance and 3 years maintenance inclusive package.

2) Skoda Octavia Ryder which is Top Of The Line and at the same price as the Base model Laura.

3) Pre Owned Accord if in a VERY good condition

4) Pre Owned Vrs. This put all the Point through the window. But that kind of awesome power with a remap make you want to own one.

5) Pre-owned Civic at 10.25 nego done 9000kms 2007 November.
Would choose this only if the price come down 30,000 odd.

6) Sell my Cbr 954 RR and ..??? Buy an MV.

Last edited by anku : 12th December 2008 at 15:59.
anku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 16:27   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,094 Times
Default

It's too early to make such judgements on the Jetta's resale, Anku. And I see no reason why it would depreciate anymore than the Laura.
IMO, judging by the global presence, the Skoda brand is down market and VW is higher. Give a choice i'd pay the slight difference and superior interiors,etc. But choice is yours, i would still recommend you to test drive all the options before deciding.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 16:54   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: new delhi
Posts: 88
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

The Jetta above the Laura for sure.
girishg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 17:00   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,226
Thanked: 578 Times
Default

Take Laura Ambientee. Its quiet nice and in your budget as well. You wont regret buying it.
Jetta has been experiencing some technical probs and you will find the threads on the forum itself so i will suggest stay clear of it as of now.

Last edited by harry10 : 12th December 2008 at 17:02.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 lakh budget. New car, used car or wait and increase budget? Tejas@perioimpl What Car? 59 2nd May 2014 12:03
Mumbai-Goa next week Nik9912 Route / Travel Queries 17 15th January 2008 10:59
Want A Car, Budget 1.50lakhs, Mumbai, This Week!!!! danlalan Shifting gears 8 13th November 2007 23:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks